Solved

Is it true Shadow mines crypto currency while not being used?

• 17 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi all, 
I’ve heard ‘through the grapevine’ that Shadow servers mine crypto while users are offline. Is this true?
If so, why wasn’t this advertised better when signing up? It is definitely something that would make me think twice of staying with Shadow.
Is there an opt-out option maybe?

Again, these are just rumours I’ve heard, so don’t bite my head off if it’s all untrue.

icon

Best answer by Powermongur 18 February 2022, 09:15

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 3

That sounds made up.

All I know is I received an email for one of my accounts saying that I was mining cryptocurrency and my account got suspended. I have no idea what that even is and when I asked they refused to provide me the information or tell me what it was. I'm canceling my other account this morning. They have no problem taking your money for the account but then suspend it and keep your money. Sounds like a get rich quick type of deal to me. I won't deal with them anymore, plamus the money you pay every month and most of the time can't even get logged on to their servers. It's a joke really

I used Shadow PC for 3 years and there is no crypto mining install on your machine.

@deepblu038 If you account got suspended for crypto mining then its probably because you got a virus and installed some shady software that took up 100% resources.

The machine is not a physical machine, so is not your machine that being used and they can move your virtual machine around between servers. So if the servers that have free resources are being used for something else is out of your control. So you can’t opt out of ‘your’ server since you don't own any.

For all we know they could be renting the servers and sharing them with other companies who also rent them. Like on a dynamic basic like AWS, Google and Azure. Those companies or users could be using them for anything from science to crypto mining. Who cares if it is hosting video, calculation AI, 3D rendering or crypto mining?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The machine is not a physical machine, so is not your machine that being used and they can move your virtual machine around between servers. So if the servers that have free resources are being used for something else is out of your control. So you can’t opt out of ‘your’ server since you don't own any.

For all we know they could be renting the servers and sharing them with other companies who also rent them. Like on a dynamic basic like AWS, Google and Azure. Those companies or users could be using them for anything from science to crypto mining. Who cares if it is hosting video, calculation AI, 3D rendering or crypto mining?

Aha, I see, that makes sense. They move the servers around, understood. Thanks for that answer.
I thought the machines were purely used for crypto mining when not used by users and I’m opposed to that due to the heavy impact on the climate. I have no idea whether all the other activity the servers are used for take up just as much power as crypto mining, something for me to research.

Aha, I see, that makes sense. They move the servers around, understood. Thanks for that answer.
I thought the machines were purely used for crypto mining when not used by users and I’m opposed to that due to the heavy impact on the climate. I have no idea whether all the other activity the servers are used for take up just as much power as crypto mining, something for me to research.

When hosting a server center you need to account for peak times like Christmas holiday. There can be like more than twice the amount of usage during this time. However ever you might cap it out with something like a queue systems. But just imagine wasting half you hardware for nothing. That's why it need to be able to dynamically rent out ressources on a minute or hourly basis.

This is a good usage of crypto mining, if that is even the case. Wasting hardware is just as bad on the environment. This is also nothing compared to those huge crypto mining farm out there. The heat from servers can be used for heating homes.

However something like using your own personal computer which is not efficient for this purpose is a different story. Also you should be more worried about all the electronic waste gaming computers gonna produce rather than using a cloud gaming service.