Solved

Is Shadow trustworthy?

• 18 October 2020
  • 1 reply

My experience with them tells me they are not.

I registered last spring, didn’t use the service at all, then cancelled because I didn’t know it had even been activated. Presumably the email went into my spam folder.

Today, I decided to try Shadow and noticed after registering that they had billed me for three months last spring. I had not used the service at all. I asked for a refund, figuring they would kindly send that small amount of money back to a new subscriber as a way to show they are good people. They denied my request, as is their right. That, however, was not a friendly or wise decision because as they should have predicted, I am now cancelling my subscription and they have lost a potentially lifelong customer so they can hold on to about $80.

If a company makes such bad choices about things like this, what other bad choices are they making? It requires a lot of trust to rent a computer from someone and I don’t think a reasonable person would trust people who make such capricious choices they know will damage their reputation and revenue.

Get out while you still can. If you can. I just tried to cancel my account, but the chat bot pointed me to a “Cancel” button that does not appear to exist. I’m probably going to have to contact my bank and cancel the payment method I used. We’ll see if Shadow support responds to my request for help cancelling.

icon

Best answer by Lily 20 October 2020, 12:48

If you’re in a yearly commitment, you can’t manually cancel unless you contact support and see if they can let you off. If you’re close to your billing date, you also can’t manually cancel and would have to contact support. 

And thank you for sharing your experience, it is unfortunate to hear that you had such an issue and would be leaving the service. But outright saying that Shadow is untrustworthy and urging other people to unsubscribe isn’t the way to do it, as I and plenty of other users haven't had any issues like this. But such issues do happen, with any company in existence. 

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

If you’re in a yearly commitment, you can’t manually cancel unless you contact support and see if they can let you off. If you’re close to your billing date, you also can’t manually cancel and would have to contact support. 

And thank you for sharing your experience, it is unfortunate to hear that you had such an issue and would be leaving the service. But outright saying that Shadow is untrustworthy and urging other people to unsubscribe isn’t the way to do it, as I and plenty of other users haven't had any issues like this. But such issues do happen, with any company in existence.