Question

Shadow hardware upgrades

• 11 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

On 5 October I was billed for my first payment under the new pricing structure. going from $12 USD to $30 USD. While I understand the need for this price increase it does bring up a concern. 

I was fully prepared to transition from Shadow Boost to Ultra when it became available. My logic was (and is) that $360 a year would still be less than I’d likely spend on PC hardware upgrades over the same period of time and the hardware on Ultra was more than adequate for my needs. 

Now I am essentially paying the same monthly cost as Ultra without the benefit. The hardware currently running “my” Shadow is the equivalent of a six year old gaming PC. Which brings me to my question.

How long will we have to wait before we find out what the new hardware landscape will look like for Shadow? Speaking frankly and for myself alone, the $30/mo I am spending for Shadow could easily be put into a new gaming PC with better specs. 

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hey @Bastian682 
This was directly copied from my post in the #community-news channel on the Shadow ENG (international) discord https://discord.com/invite/shadow. If you want to join us feel free to accept the invite link and accept the rules of the server by reacting to an emoji in the #rules channel. Feel free to say hi to us there! You would find me under “Phobos” on every Shadow discord (Phobos#4444) 

I hope that information does help you out a bit! Have a nice day

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @20Tw3ntee @Bastian682 
:line~4:Hardware :line~4: First ALPHA-Testing server units with a new hardware configuration have been ordered. Once these units have been deployed (expected September/October) internal testing will start. Currently we do know that NVIDIA RTX A6000 and RTX A4000 will likely be part of the new offer which will be "announced later this year". The new NVIDIA RTX A2000 units are being looked at currently, but Klaba* admits: " but I don't yet know what we will choose to do with it ".

vGPUs (virtually split up Graphics cards) have been tested, but the results were not meeting the expectations of a gamer. “ The vGPU is not suitable for the Shadow product. Not today, not powerful enough. You need an entire GPU , ” Klaba* says .

It is currently unknown which processors, storage capacities or memory chips will be used.

*Octave Klaba: President of the company behind Shadow and founder of OVH, Shadows Hardware and Infrastructure provider.

#community-news, Shadow ENG.

Thank you so much for this information! I knew that the team was working on new configurations but it’s nice to see at least some of what is being looked at as I had not seen this prior. I do enjoy Shadow and use it as my “daily driver” PC as well as for gaming. I look forward to seeing it improve.

Hello,
thank you very much for these detailed informations.
You should post them, so people know what is happening at the moment.
If you hadn’t answered I didn’t get this information :-)

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hello @20Tw3ntee @Bastian682 
:line~4:Hardware :line~4: First ALPHA-Testing server units with a new hardware configuration have been ordered. Once these units have been deployed (expected September/October) internal testing will start. Currently we do know that NVIDIA RTX A6000 and RTX A4000 will likely be part of the new offer which will be "announced later this year". The new NVIDIA RTX A2000 units are being looked at currently, but Klaba* admits: " but I don't yet know what we will choose to do with it ".

vGPUs (virtually split up Graphics cards) have been tested, but the results were not meeting the expectations of a gamer. “ The vGPU is not suitable for the Shadow product. Not today, not powerful enough. You need an entire GPU , ” Klaba* says .

It is currently unknown which processors, storage capacities or memory chips will be used.

*Octave Klaba: President of the company behind Shadow and founder of OVH, Shadows Hardware and Infrastructure provider.

#community-news, Shadow ENG.

Hi,
it is the same to me.
Shadow team, your service now costs 2,5x of old price but you are offering us the old hardware?
I will quit the service if there is not an upgrade and I really like the shadow service, but this is much to expensive for this low hardware.