Solved

UK activation timelines

• 15 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Can someone from Shadow clarify exactly why activations are taking more than 6 months?..

Having placed an order I have been given an activation date of the 24th of June, is this correct?? if so why would it take over 6 months to activate.

Its a node in a data centre nothing more. I work for a distributor of I.T. equipment in the UK and if a client orders a node to be input into a datacentre it takes 3-5 days to do the build assuming parts are available if not add 2-3 business days for shipping.

An engineer can then be assigned to go to site and install and it literally takes them minutes to get it up and running. 

Even with Covid restrictions in place this makes no sense as engineers/installers work in solitary anyways so its not like they have to worry about overly crowded data centres. Its not due to GPU shortages either as the GPU Shadow use is not a retail based GPU and as such is widely available.

Some clarity would be appreciated here please as I am seeing alot of the same questions being raised and with no clarity other than requoting individuals to look at “timescales for activations”.

In the nicest way possible that is not an answer lets get some clarity as customers/consumers as to why it takes 6 months. 

I Genuinely would be excited by all the potential this business model has given the state of the console gaming industry right now as many people such as myself look to step away, but you can not expect a client base to pay for something that they “might” receive in the future for half a year.

icon

Best answer by Thortok2000 23 December 2020, 00:15

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Can someone from Shadow clarify exactly why activations are taking more than 6 months?..

Having placed an order I have been given an activation date of the 24th of June, is this correct?? if so why would it take over 6 months to activate.

Its a node in a data centre nothing more. I work for a distributor of I.T. equipment in the UK and if a client orders a node to be input into a datacentre it takes 3-5 days to do the build assuming parts are available if not add 2-3 business days for shipping.

An engineer can then be assigned to go to site and install and it literally takes them minutes to get it up and running. 

Even with Covid restrictions in place this makes no sense as engineers/installers work in solitary anyways so its not like they have to worry about overly crowded data centres. Its not due to GPU shortages either as the GPU Shadow use is not a retail based GPU and as such is widely available.

Some clarity would be appreciated here please as I am seeing alot of the same questions being raised and with no clarity other than requoting individuals to look at “timescales for activations”.

In the nicest way possible that is not an answer lets get some clarity as customers/consumers as to why it takes 6 months. 

I Genuinely would be excited by all the potential this business model has given the state of the console gaming industry right now as many people such as myself look to step away, but you can not expect a client base to pay for something that they “might” receive in the future for half a year.

You don't pay for it though for half a year, you only pay the first month's fee which then starts your subscription upon your activation date in 6 months time.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

The causes vary between centers and I’m not sure how much the company has made public of the exact issues. There’s a level of transparency that can do more harm than good, sometimes. Slip down that slope far enough and you’d wind up with them spending more time explaining the problem to people who keep trying to offer suggestions or questions rather than actually fixing the problem.

The main thing I want to emphasize is that A: Shadow wants you to get activated. More activated customers is more income. For pure greed if nothing else, they want to get all the customers up and running that they can. 2: They’re doing everything they can to get people activated. It’s not from any lack of effort or resources on their part. All the delays are beyond the control of Shadow to fix any faster than they’re already being fixed. Third: Nearly all the delays boil down to the pandemic as a cause. Whether that’s hardware availability or shipping restrictions or access to the data center or whatever, when you follow the dominos they all fall down and eventually point at covid. When the pandemic clears up, so too will this backlog.

I think it’s also a case that they currently do not have a datacentre in the UK, we are sharing it with Paris. So the backlog of people is immense. Hoping a UK datacentre opens up, lot of big streamers here.