Issue/Describe the bug
The Apple service “VTDecoderXPCService” is using more and more memory when using Shadow for extended periods of time. I’m encountering this problem only on the shadow app so I thought it’s a good idea to submit a bug to you.
Shadow App on a MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 - macOS 12.1). I’m using Wi-Fi most of the time.
I’m using the universal app. Launcher v4.28.9. & Client : v3.14.6.
Steps to Reproduce:
- Open Activity Monitor and check “VTDecoderXPCService” memory.
- Launch the Shadow and use it for a certain period of time.
- VTDecoderXPCService memory usage is growing up.
- Disabling (or enabling) Metal in the launcher does not have an effect.
- Restarting the stream every 1 or 2 hours is my workaround for now. Otherwise, the stream crashed or macOS ask the user to free RAM.
- Memory usage seems to increase much faster with a bad connection and a lot of packet loss. Unfortunately, I don’t have a rock-solid connection overall so I can’t test that properly for now.
Thanks for creating this bug report. An issue when using Metal (or 4:4:4, as this enables Metal and H265 automatically) has been fixed in the current BETA version of Shadow. If you could try the current BETA version and report back here this would be great. You can download the Shadow Beta app on your account page https://shdw.me/account.
@Phobos, thanks for your answer :)
That’s why disabling Metal in the Launcher didn’t change anything, I’m indeed using 4:4:4. It’s good to know that 4:4:4 is enabling Metal.
I’m playing right now with the Shadow Beta App (with 4:4:4) for the past 20 minutes and the “VTDecoderXPCService” is completely fine with no increase in RAM usage over time. I can confirm that the current BETA version resolves this problem.
I’m very glad to hear that!
Fix pushed to the official version of Shadow.