Fixed in Alpha

USB drivers on macOS Monterey

• 29 October 2021
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 2

I updated to macOS Monterey (12.0.1) and when I launched the shadow client for the first time after that, I’ve been welcome by an error message saying that the USB drivers were broken and was given the choice to repair or uninstall them. The repair failed, so I uninstalled them but the reinstall fails too.

Q from Shadow 1 year ago

Hello there,

We have deployed a fix in our Alpha application. 

Our dev team would like you to test a potential fix in our alpha launcher:

You can download the Alpha launchers here:

Once you downloaded and installed our Alpha client please follow the steps below:
  1. Switch your Shadow to our Alpha version by pressing the Start button (You will need to wait a couple of minutes to switch to this version).
  2. Close your Alpha client and uninstall your drivers
  3. Reboot your local device (This is important)
  4. Launch your Alpha client and reinstall the drivers.
  5. Once again please reboot your local device after you installed your drivers (This is important)
  6. Try to connect to your Shadow by using our Alpha client.

⚠ Warning: the Alpha and Beta builds or applications are untested and may contain bugs. Please make sure you back up your data before using them. Data loss may occur.

This users inbox is not monitored, for any further inquires please contact support via your account page. 

View original

31 replies

HI,

It appears that the USB drivers no longer work on Monterey.  After installing Monterey the shadow app let me know that there was a problem with the drivers and gave me the option to fix them or uninstall.  I tried both options and reinstalled them many times but continued to receive this error.

The USB driver issues on Big Sur took many months after the final release to get fixed so it would be great to get confirmation that this is a known issue and being looked into.  I realize that it’s unsupported software, however, that was the argument I heard regarding Big Sur and months of pain could have been avoided that time around by getting in early.  After all that’s the point in having Beta access in the first place. ;)

Thanks for your attention on this.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi saroman,

Thank you for reporting this issue with USB drivers not working with Shadow on macOS Monterey.

Although MacOS Monterey is not yet officially supported yet by Shadow, we’ll put this issue on our radar.

I appreciate you’d like to get the Shadow app’s USB feature working but in the meantime have you considered using VirtualHere?  I don’t know if it works on Monterey but I’ve been using it for a while on Big Sur and it’s excellent.  It’s a bit counterintuitive to set up (you run the server locally and run the client on your Shadow) but I prefer it to Shadow’s solution because it doesn’t require a kernel extension.

I’m having the same issue. Below is a screenshot of the error:

Additional notes:

I followed the Big Sur USB instructions, including installing the beta app, and booting to recovery mode and entering 

kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root "/Volumes/<StartupDiskName>" at terminal.  I also disabled SIP via “csrutil disable”. Still not working
Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @gregseth 

Fill this out to help shadow community or staff to be able to work on the issue.

Bug reporting Template:

• Describe the bug (required)

• Provide a detailed description of the bug

• Include screenshots if possible

• Describe the bug behavior VS. the expected behavior (what should happen if working properly)

• Steps to reproduce the bug (required)

• Provide explicit step-by-step actions to re-create the bug.

• Example:

• 1. Start Shadow

• 2. Plug in headset XXX

• 2. Open the Quick Menu an mic

• After these steps, does the bug occur 100% of the time? Or sometimes?

• Application/device, official or beta, and version number (required)

• Example: Windows official Launcher v4.14.19 Client v3.2.17

• Additional Context

• Provide any additional information here

• Include relevant logs, DxDiag or specs of your computer, connection speedtest results, additional screenshots or video, etc.

• The approximate date/time thad go to Microphone tab

• 3. Try to forward the headset’st you first started to notice the bug

• Any other relevant info that could be useful

• Copy and paste the template below and fill it out in your post:

Same here!

Userlevel 2

@Gelgoog I don’t know what you want me to say.

• Describe the bug (required)

• USB drivers won’t install on macOS Monterey 12.0.1, MacBookPro 2016

• Steps to reproduce the bug (required)

• Open shadow client

• Get error message about USB drivers requiring repair

•  

• Click the repair button

• Get unexpected error message about USB drivers

•  

• Click uninstall, then go to settings, my Shadow, install USB drivers

• Back to unexpected error message

• Application/device, official or beta, and version number (required)

• Client version 5.0.1020

• Additional Context

• Not really, tell me what extra info you need

Hello! Thanks for reporting this bug.

Our team is currently aware of the issue regarding macOS Monterey. Our team is currently investigating this issue at the time. 

I am still having this same issue as well, any update on a possible patch/fix @Steve from Shadow 

Same problem over here, I reported it to shadow support by email on sunday. 

Got an answer the same day, telling me developpers were aware of the issue and were working on a fix.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@gregseth 

You did as requested I could not ask for more! =D

Same here !
I should have break my leg than do the OS Monterey update...

I tried to reinstall the launcher, granting every kind of access possible: no success :(

Userlevel 1

According to shadow, ELTIMA, the editor of the USB gateway solution between your shadow VM and your Mac, has not updated its solution to support Monterey. As of today, it is not compatible. Let’s wait from news from Shadow. Last time I asked (1 week ago), they had no info to share with us.

Userlevel 1

ELTIMA has just announced Monterey support for USB network gate 9.5 on the 10/11!
I hope shadow is reading this. Now Shadow needs to update the corresponding SDK.
Would we have any release date (...not really a strength of shadow being predictible)? 

same here !!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same issue here. For now I use VirtalHere as fallback as it allows redirecting a single device in trial mode.

No news ? Playing an FPS on a trackpad is not easy.

what is Shadow dev waiting for to solve this major problem...? the macOs update has been around for a while and the players' subscription is running in the meantime.

Userlevel 1

Une MàJ de la version alpha embarque les drivers 9.5.950 annoncés par ELTIMA comme compatibles Monterey. D’après les retours sur Discord, ça marche pour plusieurs personnes.

Hello there,

We have deployed a fix in our Alpha application. 

Our dev team would like you to test a potential fix in our alpha launcher:

You can download the Alpha launchers here:

Once you downloaded and installed our Alpha client please follow the steps below:
  1. Switch your Shadow to our Alpha version by pressing the Start button (You will need to wait a couple of minutes to switch to this version).
  2. Close your Alpha client and uninstall your drivers
  3. Reboot your local device (This is important)
  4. Launch your Alpha client and reinstall the drivers.
  5. Once again please reboot your local device after you installed your drivers (This is important)
  6. Try to connect to your Shadow by using our Alpha client.

⚠ Warning: the Alpha and Beta builds or applications are untested and may contain bugs. Please make sure you back up your data before using them. Data loss may occur.

This users inbox is not monitored, for any further inquires please contact support via your account page. 

@Steve from Shadow Thanks! It worked for me, but I had to switch to Beta version since I need to access Shadow also from iOS and tvOS (Apple TV). I hope the drivers will be integrated to Beta version soon. 

@Steve from Shadow Thanks! It worked for me, but I had to switch to Beta version since I need to access Shadow also from iOS and tvOS (Apple TV). I hope the drivers will be integrated to Beta version soon. 

That works, you’ll need to update to Alpha to get the latest version of the USB drivers, but after that you can switch to Beta or the Official application.

@Steve from Shadow : Sadly this doesn’t work on my side, when I launch another Shadow version than the Alpha one, a popup asks me to “update” or uninstall the USB drivers.