Best Mini-PC?

I am looking into getting a reasonably low-cost ($100-250) mini-PC to run Shadow on for my living room TV. There are tons of options on Amazon, but I am not really sure which would be give me the best experience. Does anyone have any experience with this? What are your suggestions? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Badge

There is a little personal pc called raspberry pi 4 which looks like a decent option. I need to do more research myself but it’s a suggestion. Look on amazon or the pi hut website as they sell starter kits etc. But like I said before you might need to do some more research on it. Hope that helps 👍

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I mean… 

The shadow ghost is a pretty baller option… But thats just my thoughts on it, you can order it right here.

Good Luck in the TV streaming world!

Badge

Honestly I’m to the point of just throwing together a small form factor PC just for this.  As long as it’s JUST for streaming from Plex, retro emulation, or a shadow client I have some spare parts lying around.  Worst case scenario I do the stupid thing and I run shadow in a windows instance and run parsec on a Pi (hopefully my controller is recognized).  Not exactly like the games I play require split second timing 100% of the time. 

Badge

Hello there,

I bought an intel i3 box from Amazon recently and it should arrive in a few days. I will see if it suits Shadow well, although it was a bit above your price range.

Raspberry 4 would maybe be an option if Shadow were to  publicly release an ARM 64 version of their launcher.

As already mentioned the own Shadow’s ghost maybe an option too but I believe that availability can be challenging these days...

Badge

I would not use a RPi, cause i heared that many user who tried to use it for Shadow were not very happy with this solution.
There are a lot of Mini PCs (would not use a PC Stick) with at least an Intel Z8350 which you could use.
For example, i use(d) a Beelink X45 with an Intel J4105 and it worked pretty well for me.
Do you want to use this mini PC also for other things than Shadow?

I don’t think I would be likely to use it for other things, though one never knows.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Intel Nuc should do.

Badge

I think a few youtube reviews are saying that some Atom based fanless minipc with the Z8350 are working fine for shadow - as Simpel here above seems to confirm too. They tend to be among the cheapest.

I guess it is also a question of: taking the cheapest that meets the current needs versus having something a bit more evolved that can be repurposed for something else.

Ultimately the amazon reviews and questions may also contain useful reviews and usecase for a specific product.

Badge +1

Those MiniPCs are still more expensive than the Nvidia Shield though...

Badge

Hey there,

So I was able to test the shadow client on a linux platform on an intel i3-5005U mini PC. It works pretty well and smoothly as far as I could tell. I did not really heard the fan and it reaches around 25-40prct CPU load on 4 HT cores. So it also means there is probably some less-expensive/less powerful solution out-there that may be suitable too!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I just bought this for myself after referring it to a client. This is great for things outside of just having a Shadow. It’s a bit pricey but it’ll last you 5 years, that’s an investment… “tax write-off.”

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0892P3DZZ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2QC0HTVUZR1US&th=1

Badge +1

Could anyone with some knowledge take a look at this Mini PC and let know if it will run Shadow okay? I appreciate the input in advance, thank you!!

https://www.amazon.de/VGA-Anschluss-PXE-Start-Halterung-automatische-Einschalten/dp/B07VJD6HRS/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Intel%2BNuc&qid=1591715313&sr=8-11-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWEhQSkNQWlRYRktaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTQ1MTY4MkRTM0haUkM5VzRLRCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTg3Mzg4MlRGUDJaMTBBSVk3UCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Could anyone with some knowledge take a look at this Mini PC and let know if it will run Shadow okay? I appreciate the input in advance, thank you!!

https://www.amazon.de/VGA-Anschluss-PXE-Start-Halterung-automatische-Einschalten/dp/B07VJD6HRS/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Intel%2BNuc&qid=1591715313&sr=8-11-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWEhQSkNQWlRYRktaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTQ1MTY4MkRTM0haUkM5VzRLRCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTg3Mzg4MlRGUDJaMTBBSVk3UCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Hello BrentNH, thank you for reaching out to the community for some help. 

Let’s cross-reference your Mini-PC with Shadow requirements.

1. Win10 :thumbsup:
  2. 4GB RAM :thumbsup:
  3. Intel Celeron J3455 (Released 2016) :thumbsup:

You’re all set to run Shadow! Enjoy!

Badge +1

Outstanding! Thank you! Was given this device for free and was hoping it could become another option for Shadow, and looks like it will be, thank you!

NUC’s are overpriced. I bought A Gigabyte Brix S with J1405 chipset and some seperate RAM plus an ssd I had laying around. 200 bucks for an upgradable, nice chasis, plenty of ports. Even this is overkill for shadow really.

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Compact-Graphics-Component-GB-BLCE-4105/dp/B07DMM7Z7N/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=brix+s&qid=1601279611&sr=8-11