Solved

Fortnite using (Xbox) controller on Shadow

• 16 June 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have a technical support topic about this, but I am starting to think there is some incompatibilty here. 

I cannot get a new Wireless Xbox Controller (1708) to work in Fortnite on Shadow. It does not work when starting Fortnite on Shadow on my Macbook and also not on my Android phone, same results.

The controller does work properly when I use the native mobile Fortnite app on my phone, so there is nothing wrong with the controller.

The controller also does work on Shadow in Windows, like in the Xbox App and Steam Big Picture Mode, but is irresponsive in Fortnite. It is displayed correctly in the Shadow Quick Menu as Xbox One Controller (1708) (Bluetooth).

Is Fortnite incompatible with the a (Xbox) controller on Shadow? Does Fortnite its EasyAntiCheat system block the emulated controller input?

DId anyone here succeed in playing Fortnite on a controller on Shadow?

icon

Best answer by dynam1ke 9 July 2020, 21:36

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Did you try searching for this issue online? Tried reinstalling the game? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes, I searched extensively. No one seems to have technical issues with controllers in Fortnite nowadays. It works really well while not on Shadow. Shadow-specific: I found some people where controller did not appear in the Quick Menu, or did not work in Windows even, but this is all not my case. I works shows up perfectly, it works perfectly, it just does not work in Fortnite.

No, I did not try re-installing the game. I will try.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I just completely removed and reinstalled Fortnite and Epic Games Launcher.

No difference :cry:

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Are you able to try the controller and Shadow on another device? On a different launcher? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Are you able to try the controller and Shadow on another device? On a different launcher? 

Yes, I am trying all options on my MacBook and on my Android phone.

Results are exactly the same: the controller is detected instantly by Shadow, and is usable in Windows. But does not work in Fortnite.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/ev2hj3/comment/fomtqiz

this is the workaround on macs but you have to use the wire. 

best to ask on fortnite support for macos catalina, fortnite and wireless xbox controllers

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

OK. I did A LOT of testing the last days. Wireless Xbox Controller:

• Bluetooth connection to Macbook (Shadow app)
  • Wired connection to Macbook (Shadow app)
  • Bluetooth connection to Android Phone (Shadow app)
  • Bluetooth connection to Oculus Quest (Virtual Desktop to connect to Shadow)

Started up Fortnite from:

• The Desktop Icon (with mouse)
  • Epic Games Launcher (with mouse)
  • Steam (with mouse)
  • Steam Big Picture (with controller/mouse/touch) on all above platforms/connections (with a thousand of different controller settings)
  • The Shadow app (with controller/mouse/touch)
  • The Virtual Desktop app (with Xbox Controller/Oculus Controller

But it is ALL the same: The controller works everywhere but not in Fortnite!

• I installed a free chess game in Steam and it works perfectly with controller.
  • The Steam Big Picture menu works perfectly with controller.
  • The Shadow App menu's work perfectly with controller.
  • The controller in instantly detected and connected to Shadow.
  • Connected wired to Macbook the controller shows up in the Xbox Accessoires app.

There is one weird thing I found that might be useful for someone who knows how shadow works on the inside:

I tested Fortnite on Shadow in fullscreen mode, as wel as windowed mode. I accidentally found that when I am running in windowed mode. When I click outside the fortnite window, the sound of Fortnite disappears, which is quite logical when you click outside the app window. But the strange thing is: When the Fortnite window is not the active window, the controller suddenly (sort of) works in Fortnite! Fortnite instantly switches to controller mode when a button on the controller is pressed, like it should do.

Of course this is not a playable solution since there is no sound, and there is one more weird thing: The A button on the controller works only in select Fortnite screens. For example: I cannot enter a menu item using A when I pressed the menu button. And I cannot jump when I tried in-game.

Do not get me wrong: I did NOT find a solution. I just found a glitch/bug where Fortnite switches to controller mode in windowed mode when I mouseclick/touch outside the Fortnite window. The game is still not playable using a controller. Using the glitch there is no fullscreen, no sound, and no functioning A-button.

This verified this on all platforms/connections/apps.

I am just reporing this since it might help in finding a solution to making Fortnite playable with a controller like any other game. Can someone technical from support please help me?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

OK. I did A LOT of testing the last days. Wireless Xbox Controller:

• Bluetooth connection to Macbook (Shadow app)
  • Wired connection to Macbook (Shadow app)
  • Bluetooth connection to Android Phone (Shadow app)
  • Bluetooth connection to Oculus Quest (Virtual Desktop to connect to Shadow)

Started up Fortnite from:

• The Desktop Icon (with mouse)
  • Epic Games Launcher (with mouse)
  • Steam (with mouse)
  • Steam Big Picture (with controller/mouse/touch) on all above platforms/connections (with a thousand of different controller settings)
  • The Shadow app (with controller/mouse/touch)
  • The Virtual Desktop app (with Xbox Controller/Oculus Controller

But it is ALL the same: The controller works everywhere but not in Fortnite!

• I installed a free chess game in Steam and it works perfectly with controller.
  • The Steam Big Picture menu works perfectly with controller.
  • The Shadow App menu's work perfectly with controller.
  • The controller in instantly detected and connected to Shadow.
  • Connected wired to Macbook the controller shows up in the Xbox Accessoires app.

There is one weird thing I found that might be useful for someone who knows how shadow works on the inside:

I tested Fortnite on Shadow in fullscreen mode, as wel as windowed mode. I accidentally found that when I am running in windowed mode. When I click outside the fortnite window, the sound of Fortnite disappears, which is quite logical when you click outside the app window. But the strange thing is: When the Fortnite window is not the active window, the controller suddenly (sort of) works in Fortnite! Fortnite instantly switches to controller mode when a button on the controller is pressed, like it should do.

Of course this is not a playable solution since there is no sound, and there is one more weird thing: The A button on the controller works only in select Fortnite screens. For example: I cannot enter a menu item using A when I pressed the menu button. And I cannot jump when I tried in-game.

Do not get me wrong: I did NOT find a solution. I just found a glitch/bug where Fortnite switches to controller mode in windowed mode when I mouseclick/touch outside the Fortnite window. The game is still not playable using a controller. Using the glitch there is no fullscreen, no sound, and no functioning A-button.

This verified this on all platforms/connections/apps.

I am just reporing this since it might help in finding a solution to making Fortnite playable with a controller like any other game. Can someone technical from support please help me?

Make a ticket then, this is extremely strange… If you wish you can also always try a reset if you really wanna test everything and arent afraid of losing any data on your Shadow. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I finally found the solution to my issue, and it is so stupid...

In the Fortnite Mouse and Keyboard settings (Yes! Mouse and Keyboard settings, you heard it corectly) there is an option to 'Ignore gamepad input'. I have never seen or touched this setting, but it was set to 'On', blocking my Xbox controller. Setting this off made the controller work 100% the way it should on all my Shadow devices. 

I have no clue why this was set to 'On', or if it was default setting. I wasted a lot of time and effort on this...