How does Shadow work on mobile devices?

Badge +1

So I heard that Shadow supports Android and iOS mobile devices, aka your phone and tablet. I was wondering, however, how would you be able to play PC-made games that weren’t designed for mobile. Do you need a controller? Will Shadow give you on-screen controls? What happens and how does it work?

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

So I heard that Shadow supports Android and iOS mobile devices, aka your phone and tablet. I was wondering, however, how would you be able to play PC-made games that weren’t designed for mobile. Do you need a controller? Will Shadow give you on-screen controls? What happens and how does it work?

The mobile apps have on-screen controls. For Android, it’s recommended you use a Bluetooth controller or even a mouse and keyboard. For iPhone, you can also use the on-screen controls or a Bluetooth controller. The controllers will, however, have noticable latency. Unless you’re on the newest iPad Pro OS, you’re not going to be able to use a keyboard and mouse on a mobile Apple device.

Badge

On screen controls are difficult to use for AAA titles, I use the Razer Raiju Mobile controller on Android and it works great. 

Badge

I use an Xbone S controller on my iphone XS over 5Ghz wifi. Other than the occasional splutter in resolution and response time I can’t tell the difference from it and my pc setup!

Badge

I’m looking forward to iOS getting better mouse support!

Badge

I have both a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard for my iOS they are universal, they work well in android but won’t show on IOS (IPhone/IPad) is there any drivers or some type of third party app that I need to get for this to work?  

Badge

Mouse and keyboard work on Android, but it isn't smooth.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

yes it does work, but you will need a very stable wifi connection to your router and you would use a controller. Unfortunately mouse and keyboard support for the mobile apps is not very good, but slightly present. 

Badge

The mouse problems on Android are not on Shadow's end, but a problem within Android itself.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

The mouse problems on Android are not on Shadow's end, but a problem within Android itself.

Oh? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Oh? 

Android does have issues with Mouse recognition if you click off the shadow application. 

Badge

I use iPhone 11 Pro Max and connect my Xbox one x controller to it via Bluetooth and I have a very good WiFi connection like 200mbps + and it plays very smooth I take off the low connection mode and set it to 70mbps also it plays well on cellular data the resolution the best but still very good 

As some fellow Shadowers already mentioned, the apps actually includes a virtual gamepad which allows you to play gamepad compatibles games, but it is recommended to have a physical controller for a better experience.

Regarding mouse and keyboard support, we are indeed limited by what the different platforms allow but we are doing our best to provide the best possible experience.

Keyboard support is already available on the beta version of the iOS app. Mouse support will follow asap.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I mainly use Shadow on iOS devices. Phone and Pad. 

The onscreen controller, I cant play with it but I know others who can work miracles with virtual controllers. 

Games which offer native touch controls eg Civilization 6 works well without additional hardware. 

I do have the iPad Magic Keyboard, Pencil, AirPods and various controllers (Xbox One, DS4, SF30).

I’m hopeful that proper mouse & keyboard support for iOS will be available by the end of the year. (Microsoft’s implementation released yesterday and it works great)

Controller wise I’ll keep the Xbox One Controller.

AirPods I am happy with how they perform vor input & output. 

Pencil, well it is a gimmicky one button mouse. I don’t know if there will be better stylus & windows 10 tablet mode support for the Shadow iOS app. 

Badge

Just played no man's sky on my phone with the shadow app (Android) used an Xbox one Bluetooth controller drains battery like crazy but it's a great way to "watch" tv with the wife while also gaming.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Controller

External Mouse & Keyboard as long as the mobile OS supports them. 
touch if games support touch inputs

Onscreen touch controls are meh, I hope that Blade will take note of Stadia’s implementation where bumper buttons can as sticks and from Steam’s mobile appe where one can customize the layout and visibility of onscreen controls