Solved

Ipad magic keyboard support

Badge

Hello, 

Currently the new Magic keyboard does not work with the shadow Ipad app.

Are there plans to fix this soon? 

You can use the keyboard after touching the screen with to fingers, but then the explorer bar is not visible. 

Furthermore the track pad on the magic keyboard works, but not is not reliable. Often clicking does not work anymore and then you have to swap to another app to get it working again.

Kind regards HorstKevin

icon

Best answer by tgienger 27 May 2020, 23:04

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

https://trello.com/b/h14QUeDq/shadow-public-roadmap

Check out that roadmap, mouse and keyboard support coming soon!

Badge

Thanks for your response! That sounds pretty good

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Unfortunately, officially speaking. Mouse and keyboard is not currently officially supported yet, but they might be in the future) 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Update from the app store testflight (beta):

So looks like keyboard support is in for testing, unfortunately my magic keyboard still hasn’t shipped 😞 so I cannot test it as I don’t have a bluetooth kb available. Am getting very excited though!!!

Badge

Thanks vor the TestFlight Information. I will do the Testung and leg you know.

Badge

OK, here are the results of my test:

Good news first, the Magic keyboard works great with the TestFlight App (Version 3.0.1(81) ).

Unfortunately, the Beta version is completely unusable for me on the IPad (pro 2020 12.9).

Issues:

Screen resolution is not the native resolution of 2733 x 2084 pixels, even though this setting (native) is selected. There seems to be some 16:9 resolution set.

Moreover, I cannot change the resolution in the Windows settings, because neither touch or the trackpad of the keyboard are working. (Also after removing the IPad from the Magic Keyboard, touch is not working).

The thing is, that it looks like the top left of the screen seems to be recognized as start of the input.

This means if I touch/click the center of the screen and hold, then the context menu opens as if you right click the top left corner of the screen.

The same happens if you I click and hold the middle of the screen and move as if I want to select some content. Then the selection starts from the top left corner.

It’s also not possible to click anything like the windows button or a shortcut or anything else. Clicking is just not working at all.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Good news first, the Magic keyboard works great with the TestFlight App (Version 3.0.1(81) ).

Unfortunately, the Beta version is completely unusable for me on the IPad (pro 2020 12.9).

Issues:

Screen resolution is not the native resolution of 2733 x 2084 pixels, even though this setting (native) is selected. There seems to be some 16:9 resolution set.

Moreover, I cannot change the resolution in the Windows settings, because neither touch or the trackpad of the keyboard are working. (Also after removing the IPad from the Magic Keyboard, touch is not working).

The thing is, that it looks like the top left of the screen seems to be recognized as start of the input.

This means if I touch/click the center of the screen and hold, then the context menu opens as if you right click the top left corner of the screen.

The same happens if you I click and hold the middle of the screen and move as if I want to select some content. Then the selection starts from the top left corner.

It’s also not possible to click anything like the windows button or a shortcut or anything else. Clicking is just not working at all.

Sounds like the input location isn’t registering so it defaults to 0,0. 

We need a beta forum if it doesn’t already exist. 

Badge

I provided the feedback via the TestFlight app to shadow, let’s hope that this will be fixed soon. But I can’t imagine that this won’t be fixed for the next release.

Issues:

Hey,

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you also having the resolution problem with the official version or only with beta?

I forwarded your message to the devs.

Badge

Hello Loic, 

I am not affected by the mentioned issues with the official release version. The screen resolution works perfectly with the non beta version. I am also able to use touch/click as expected.

Thanks for forwarding this to the development team. 

I’m using the latest production build which supports trackpad and mouse.

However, the magic keyboard trackpad is virtually unusable and I can’t figure out what the problem is. 

Is anyone else having issues?  Are there specific ipad settings that need to be configured for the trackpad to work effectively?   ​​​​​​​

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

However, the magic keyboard trackpad is virtually unusable and I can’t figure out what the problem is. 

Is anyone else having issues?  Are there specific ipad settings that need to be configured for the trackpad to work effectively?   

Have to wait for iOS14

Is anyone else having issues?  Are there specific ipad settings that need to be configured for the trackpad to work effectively?   

Have to wait for iOS14

thanks for the reply - the thing is I am on ipados 14 public beta 5.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Have to wait for iOS14

None of shadows clients support beta os releases. Youll have to wait for stable release and shadows client update to 14

Have to wait for iOS14

That’s the reason. iPadOS 14 kind of broke the current mouse support. I ended up going back down to 13 for the time being.

This is now working….

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So the magic keyboard is “mostly” working. So far the only thing I’ve noticed that does not work is using double touch pad to scroll. Currently the only way to scroll is to use scroll bars, which is quite annoying :P

Great work overall though. It’s been a while since I tested this on the ipad and I’m loving it.

One other thing I can think of to improve it is adding screen resolutions that fit the natural screen resolution 🙂 I prefer to use a lower resolution for better reading and maybe (?) lower bandwidth.

Edit: One more thing!! scrolling with a mouse is pretty terrible. If you scroll slowly it doesn’t register at all.