I’m a long term Shadow user, last year I got super excited when Shadow announced an official roadmap item that aimed to support Raspberry Pi devices.
Microsoft also announced recently that they are working on a feature that would let your computer boot straight to their cloud PC.
Was wondering where the Shadow team got to as has been extremely quiet on this topic?
My dream setup:
- I’d be keen to use the latest Raspberry Pi to replace my trusty (but aging) Shadow Ghost so I can finally run dual 4k monitors from one single thin client.
- Raspberry Pi would also enable many folks to lower the barrier to entry for affordable, fanless machines - once you’ve tried fanless pcs there’s no going back.
- The ability to have a Raspberry Pi OS booting straight to my Shadow (like what I can do on Ghost) would be a slick set-up. Don’t want to faff with booting Raspbian and later on having to load another app - am looking for a seamless / native experience.
- Could mount the Raspberry Pi behind the monitor for a clean / wire-free desk
- Believe such option would position Shadow Power as a very attractive option at 1/2 the price of a Mac Studio on monthly finance deal. Also an appealing option for BtoB users
- Bonus points if we could:
- A) Get working webcams support: believe video compression of the webcam stream using usb over ip is what fails for most users attempting to run video calls from their Ghost currently. These days with hybrid working webcam support is a must for a cloud pc
- B) Finally get a Windows 11 upgrade as the cherry on top of the cake
Forgive me, I am not super knowledgeable about Raspberry Pi, but from my understanding, it’s possible to run Windows on a Pi 4… so assuming that’s true, couldn’t you run the Shadow windows app from there? I am pretty sure you can make Windows run the Shadow app on startup, and the Shadow app can be set to go right into your Shadow without having to click anything.
If I am right about all the above, you would start up your Pi, Windows would boot, and the Shadow app would start up and connect as soon as the Windows desktop loaded putting you right into your Shadow’s desktop with no input from you beyond turning on your Pi