Xbox One S controller connected via Bluetooth in macOS has mismatched controls

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hello folks!

This issue is NOT specific to Shadow gaming; however, it will potentially impact macOS Shadow users.

The goal of this post is to collaborate, and gather information about it.

When using an XBO controller connected via Bluetooth with a Mac computer, there is the potential for “mismatched controls,” seemingly dependent on the firmware version of the XBO controller. Specifically, a subset of both the right trigger and right analog stick functions “overlap,” completely breaking functionality.

One example: run Steam in Big Picture Mode (on your Mac), then go to Settings - Controller Settings - Xbox One Controller (under Detected Controllers) - Calibrate. Then, slowly squeeze the right trigger, and notice how the "right stick" is moving on the Y axis. And if you move the right stick up and down, it moves on the X axis. The left/right triggers are supposed to only move the Z axis, whereas the right stick is supposed to only move the X and Y rotation.

The controller functionality (or lack thereof) can also be handily tested by using this web utility: http://html5gamepad.com (this site seems to work best in Chrome).

In my case, I’m able to reproduce the problem on two different MBP laptops, both running macOS Catalina 10.15.5, with two different XBO controllers, both with firmware version 4.8.1923.0.

If your BT-connected XBO controller is working fine under macOS, do not update your controller firmware! This would need to be done from an actual XBOX console, or a PC - so if you’re not using your controllers with those, they won’t get updated. Additionally, once the controller firmware has been updated, there is no going back (no downgrades)!

I created an Apple community post for this at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251392459

Cheers!

This topic has been closed for comments

29 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@Jim29er hi bud, I solved my issue, with buying an intel NUC 😅 I was bored with these issues. Thank you ! 

Glad you found a worthy alternative!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Just another thing to try, if the unpairing/repairing doesn’t solve the issue for you (this is from Alex on the Discord server):

--------------------------------

Alex^The good test is to download on local mac https://generalarcade.com/gamepadtool/ then check if controller works. Then open Shadow.app (show package contents) and look for gamecontrollerdb.txt and check if hardware.id (first component of the gamepad app mapping) is already present and valid. Or add your own ;)

--------------------------------

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

See this post for more info on the gamepad tool.

Okay, thank you because I brought mine wireless + adapter, now when I get my new one I will be using only the adapter. 

Just to confirm...the wireless adapter for the original Xbox One controller does not work on macOS. Using this controller requires it to be connected via USB wired, and the above-mentioned driver installed.

The only way to use an Xbox controller wirelessly with a Mac is via Bluetooth, meaning one of the“S” controllers (or newer) must be used. But then we’re back to this intermittent “mapping” problem with certain firmwares. It sure seems like this is in Apple’s court to address, since the problems don’t occur on other operating systems (Windows, Android, Linux).

This is correctish - while this does allow you to use a MicroUSB cable with your controller it basically disables any ability for you to use the Xbox One S Controller with bluetooth. I have nothing but issues using the Xbox One S controller and my Macbook Pro when I had 360 Controller installed. I uninstalled it and use it via Bluetooth without any issues at all. But trying to use it via USB has been problematic. It could be my controller microusb port.