Question

can i run my shadow like a server . As in 247 with programs running in the backgroung.

So i am a gamer and also a forex trader. i use some rebots to trade and they need to be connected 247 to a computer and the internet. can i run my shadow like a server where I can game and still run my trading robots? this will mean I will not shutdown my shadow at anytime especially in weekdays.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Simply put: no. Shadow is not a server rental service, and you have a plethora of other options for that.

I know, but there are really no differences, and a shadow is more powerful and cheaper for the specs we get. I also do a lot of backtesting and optimisation, which takes a lot of Ram and core processing. All I have to do is to leave it running for at least weekdays without shutting down. So basically all I need to know is if I can leave it running for extended periods. Any time limits before I MUST shutdown?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

<snip> shadow is more powerful and cheaper for the specs we get. <snip>

Any time limits before I MUST shutdown?

Yes, but the reason it’s cheaper is precisely because the machines aren’t in use 24/7. If they were, the costs would skyrocket.

Currently there is a 30-minute inactivity timer, so the computer will shut down if not actively interacted with after 30 minutes. As I understand, that timer was 2.5 hours prior to the pandemic crisis. In either case, it’s against the ToS to circumvent the timer programmatically.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Adding ontop of what Jim said, running your Shadow and using it as a server is against ToS. Trying to bypass the inactivity timer is also against ToS. Attempting to do these things can be grounds for you account getting terminated. 

If we have answered your question please mark it as answered, thanks)