Question

Is it just me or is the speed of the ssd drive not great

• 14 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi, I really like Shadow so far and as I’m working towards the best settings for my environment thoroughly enjoy the service. However, one thing that I find pretty annoying is the long load times of my games. I play a lot of Total War and those games frequently have to load a lot of data and it seems that Shadow does not have typical SSD performance, even from a ‘budget’ SSD drive perspective. Am I doing something wrong?

4 replies

Same here, really bad I/O speed, I don’t think we’re on SSD more HDD RAID with ISCSI…

Sometime it’s so bad that I just quit playing, I’ll unsub because of the poor performances.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Same here, really bad I/O speed, I don’t think we’re on SSD more HDD RAID with ISCSI…

Sometime it’s so bad that I just quit playing, I’ll unsub because of the poor performances.

stock C:\ drive
(left is read, right is write)

additional 1TB drive

Besides the crappy performance that really has nothing to do with true SSD speeds..check out the access times in the last line.

The 1TB drive has 13ms for read access. This is 188 times slower than my laptops ssd.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

The Shadow storage drives are Hybrid san storage. 

SAN HDD storage array with flash accelerated cache for reads… 1Gbps downlod speeds cant be used in full potential to download apps coz writes are going directly to spinning rust (HDD). Probably I/O is limited on hypervisor level.

Ive also noticed that read-cache is empty after reboot so lunching apps for 1st time is slow...