Solved

Shadow android app incorrect resolution

Hi,

I had already put the question to Shadow itself, but they couldn't help me other than to tell me to use Shadow Beta which didn't make any difference. And refer me to the forum, nice and easy.

So here I am, good afternoon everyone :)
Hopefully you can help me fix my problem. I have looked up the problem myself and also here on the forum but could not really find the solution or the solution does not work for me.

I bought an android media box (X96 Max+ S905X3) for my TV (QE65Q800T) or QLED 8K 65 inch Q800T with a resolution option up to 7680x4320.

My goal is to play Shadow through this media box, so that I can play games on a big screen on the couch instead of the computer.

My media box is connected wired to the internet. And I installed Shadow on this via the Play Store, and now Shadow Beta at the request of the Shadow team.

Games can be played without problems at a resolution of 1920x1080. But of course I want to be able to play at the highest possible resolution, just like on the computer.

And judging from the specs, that should be feasible based on both the media box and the TV.

If I connect my laptop via an HDMI I can play at a resolution of 2560x1440, which is good for me.

But in order not to always have to grab my laptop, I bought this media box for a nice price that meets the conditions for my idea.

However, when I look in the Shadow settings, i.e. in the window before logging in to my desktop, I only have the option between 2 resolutions 1280x720 or 1920x1080. Where 1920x1080 is native.

I read that you can only adjust the resolution of 2560x1440 within Shadow itself via Nvidia control panel. So I did, but as soon as I adjust it there, my image is too magnified. Usually, and I also had to do that with my laptop, you have to restart after this and then the resolution is correct again. Only via the Shadow on my media box at a restart everything is back to square one.

I do not understand why the resolution in Shadow via the app only goes up to 1920x1080, this is really worthless. But I hope someone here also had this problem and solved it, so that he or she could use Shadow via Shadow app on an android at a high resolution.

So wo can help me please?

icon

Best answer by Jim29er 28 May 2021, 14:56

Hi there @svallow , it sounds to me like your Android media box is not properly negotiating resolution capabilities with the TV, otherwise higher resolutions would be selectable in the app.

Do you have a way of verifying the negotiated resolution options between the devices, such as a “display status” or “show all HDMI modes” from the media box?

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi there @svallow , it sounds to me like your Android media box is not properly negotiating resolution capabilities with the TV, otherwise higher resolutions would be selectable in the app.

Do you have a way of verifying the negotiated resolution options between the devices, such as a “display status” or “show all HDMI modes” from the media box?

Hi there @svallow , it sounds to me like your Android media box is not properly negotiating resolution capabilities with the TV, otherwise higher resolutions would be selectable in the app.

Hey thanks for your feedback, and it makes sense.

The box (x96 Max+ S905X3 spec) says it supports 8k resolution, I can not set a resolution anywhere in the media box itslef or something like that?

Does it have to do with the HDMI port on the TV which I have connected to the media box? Because there are different ports, ARC and a game HDMI port to which it is now connected and some more ports for HDMI. I can test that in later.

And otherwise despite 8k, there might be something wrong with the resolution with the media box since i cant set it anywhere probably default settings, although he does indicate that it supports this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I’m not familiar with that media box, but yes you should be able to configure the display resolution within it (and yes, sometimes different HDMI ports on the TV can have different capabilities, and can be configured specifically).

I have a Shield TV, and can see the modes the TV is reporting as available via HDMI:

You can also run apps such as AIDA64 to see what the current mode is:

HTH!

thanks, I asked the seller the question, also because it says it can handle 8k. Other hdmi ports didn't make a difference, I'm going to return it and get another one around this price range.

I’m not familiar with that media box, but yes you should be able to configure the display resolution within it (and yes, sometimes different HDMI ports on the TV can have different capabilities, and can be configured specifically).

I have a Shield TV, and can see the modes the TV is reporting as available via HDMI:

Hey 

I asked the seller if he also had other media players that meet the requirements to play with 4k, but unfortunately he didn't have any.

Do you happen to have any recommendations other than the Nvidia Shield?

Because you use the Nvidia Shield with Shadow? I don't think you need a Shadow with Nvidia Shield, right, because you can stream everything via your Steam?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Do you happen to have any recommendations other than the Nvidia Shield?

Because you use the Nvidia Shield with Shadow? I don't think you need a Shadow with Nvidia Shield, right, because you can stream everything via your Steam?

I haven’t had a need for a different Android TV device aside from the Shield, so I don’t have first-hand knowledge of other devices.

And yes, the Nvidia Shield TV has been a great device to run the Shadow client on. The Shield TV does have other options for running games (Android games, emulators, GeForce NOW, GameStream and Steam Link for local computer streaming)...but IMO Shadow is still the best option for cloud gaming. I hope their restructure and future plans are successful.