Solved

shadow infinite worse than boost?

• 27 December 2020
  • 7 replies

I recently upgraded from shadow boost to infinite, and have noticed that my frame rates in game have been significantly lower (up to 50 frames lower). I checked to see what you i have and noticed it’s a quadro 6000. I’ve heard the quadro series gpu aren’t that great for gaming. Does anyone know if the frame loss is because of the gpu? (I was running a 1080 ti prior to to the upgrade) if not is there anything I should check to make sure I’m running at peak performance? I’m not much a pc expert so sorry in advance if I struggle to understand any help I receive. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Jim29er 28 December 2020, 16:53

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Shadow (Blade) uses server-class “equivalents” of consumer GPUs, which is a requirement from Nvidia in data center environments. The Quadro P6000 is the equivalent of a [first-gen] Titan RTX.

My recommendation would be to run the latest build of Windows 10, coupled with the latest GPU drivers via “Quadro Experience,” on your Shadow VM. You can download Quadro Experience from Nvidia’s website.

+1 on the above. Since Shadow used Quadro cards, the Quadro experience is highly recommended for GPU updates.

Shadow (Blade) uses server-class “equivalents” of consumer GPUs, which is a requirement from Nvidia in data center environments. The Quadro P6000 is the equivalent of a [first-gen] Titan RTX.

My recommendation would be to run the latest build of Windows 10, coupled with the latest GPU drivers via “Quadro Experience,” on your Shadow VM. You can download Quadro Experience from Nvidia’s website.

This worked perfectly! Turns out both my drivers for my gpu and the version of windows I was running were outdated. After updating both I noticed a significant boost in my frame rates and consistency. I downloaded quadro experience and it made updating my drivers a breeze. Thanks for the help!

I recently upgraded from shadow boost to infinite, and have noticed that my frame rates in game have been significantly lower (up to 50 frames lower). I checked to see what you i have and noticed it’s a quadro 6000. I’ve heard the quadro series gpu aren’t that great for gaming. Does anyone know if the frame loss is because of the gpu? (I was running a 1080 ti prior to to the upgrade) if not is there anything I should check to make sure I’m running at peak performance? I’m not much a pc expert so sorry in advance if I struggle to understand any help I receive. Thanks!

The reason you are seeing bad performance is because ever since Shadow rolled out the upgrades people have been experiencing bad performance. A email was sent out a day or so ago saying the reason was because of Overheating. They have since disabled turbo boost which means it will be even more of a bottleneck now. Also the boost gpu was a Quadro p5000 or a GTX 1080 Not a 1080 Ti. A 1080 TI is still a beautiful and magnificent card even in 2021. 

I myself have noticed quite a nose dive in some games as well with low gpu usage and chalked it up to Shadow shutting down turbo boost gimping the CPU even more. Shadow has had one hell of a bad run the last few months. It will just take more time to iron out the problems. 

Also for Shadow ultra the GPU is a RTX 5000 and Infinite is a RTX 6000, both are quadro cards and yes quadro cards are NOT meant for gaming. The RTX 5000 is more in line with a 2070 2080, meanwhile the Infinite is more or less a 2080 TI give or take a few fps difference. Granted both cards are still held back quite heavily by the lackluster Xeon processor. 

Reason why Shadow uses server CPU’s: Shadows infrastructure is run on blocks and blocks of server PC’s. Every person connected gets a certain amount of the cpu and their own gpu. Reason why shadow doesn’t use consumer grade CPU’s is because of heat, power usage and overall stability. Consumer CPU’s just wouldn’t be able to handle the load. Reason why Shadow uses Quadro cards instead of actual RTX GPU’s is because Nvidia put a ban on cloud computing use consumer cards and only allows Quadro Cards. Reason why Nvidia does this is because of well you know…. More money. 

The reason you are seeing bad performance is because ever since Shadow rolled out the upgrades people have been experiencing bad performance. A email was sent out a day or so ago saying the reason was because of Overheating. They have since disabled turbo boost which means it will be even more of a bottleneck now. Also the boost gpu was a Quadro p5000 or a GTX 1080 Not a 1080 Ti. A 1080 TI is still a beautiful and magnificent card even in 2021. 

I myself have noticed quite a nose dive in some games as well with low gpu usage and chalked it up to Shadow shutting down turbo boost gimping the CPU even more. Shadow has had one hell of a bad run the last few months. It will just take more time to iron out the problems. 

Also for Shadow ultra the GPU is a RTX 5000 and Infinite is a RTX 6000, both are quadro cards and yes quadro cards are NOT meant for gaming. The RTX 5000 is more in line with a 2070 2080, meanwhile the Infinite is more or less a 2080 TI give or take a few fps difference. Granted both cards are still held back quite heavily by the lackluster Xeon processor. 

Reason why Shadow uses server CPU’s: Shadows infrastructure is run on blocks and blocks of server PC’s. Every person connected gets a certain amount of the cpu and their own gpu. Reason why shadow doesn’t use consumer grade CPU’s is because of heat, power usage and overall stability. Consumer CPU’s just wouldn’t be able to handle the load. Reason why Shadow uses Quadro cards instead of actual RTX GPU’s is because Nvidia put a ban on cloud computing use consumer cards and only allows Quadro Cards. Reason why Nvidia does this is because of well you know…. More money. 

Than Shad​ow should really stop advertising the upgrades as such. I wouldn’t be pleased if I expect an RTX and receive a quadro instead. I’m not ​​​​​​designing a car. I'm playing games. Different.  

RTX is a technology. Ray Tracing. The Quadro card used in the Infinite configuration is a Quadro RTX 6000

the quadro p6000 is actually a better value on shadow than the boost with quadro p5000. it may be the “equivilent” but the gtx 1080 performs on average 17% better. but i guess it is what it is, we get xeon cores at 2.5Ghz aswell, it really shouldn’t pass to advertise as a gaming computer when my laptop cpu goes faster :/