Share your Shadow story!

Share your Shadow story!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi #TeamShadow 😃

Lately over at Shadow HQ, we’ve been thinking a lot about all the cool stories we’ve seen from you all. 

When you join #TeamShadow, you officially embark on a new and unique journey, with Shadow by your side, to accomplish your biggest dreams and loftiest ambitions.

We’ve seen Shadow used for everything, ranging from for gaming and content creation to professional work or just an enhanced computer experience. 

So tell us, what cool things do you do with your Shadow? We want you to show it off!

Need a little inspiration? Here are some questions to get you started:

• What have you been able to accomplish thanks to Shadow?

• What is your most proud moment since you had Shadow?

• What next dream to do you plan to tackle with the help of Shadow?

• What’s a place you’ve played Shadow at that surprised you?

• What device(s) have you played Shadow on that surprised you?

Let the storytelling begin!

26 replies

Had shadow since launch, lost my spot due to COVID. Got my shadow boost activated today. Buzzing to get gaming again. 

when having my old shadow my biggest achievement was playing my oculus quest vr with no wires on steam. Streaming top pc games straight to my vr. That’s the future. Thank you shadow for showing me the potential. 

I used it as part of my Master thesis. I'm researching methods to detect Deepfakes, and I used my Shadow's GPU to create and analyse Deepfake videos.
I actually cited the Shadow main page as well 😄

…submission date is in 9 days, so I better get back to writing now.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks to shadowPC, I can play AAA games in my backyard on a Samsung tablet. Lying down in the sun playing video games and that for only 15€ a month. 6 months now and never had a issue. Thanks shadow.

My next plan will be launchbox/bigbox combined with nvidea shield in home room, but for that need bigger space.

:) 

Userlevel 1

Tried Shadow out a year or so back and whilst I thought it was an outstanding concept and nobody else could match it, I just felt I wasn't getting worth on the old plan, considering how little I was using it, it was basically a novelty for me, despite how much I loved it.  

I have a gaming PC at home, which has a graphics card a little below the 1080 used with Shadow but with a better CPU and 4GB more RAM.  With only HD monitors, I didn't have enough of a reason to use it.  

Since the whole COVID situation, my wife has been using my gaming PC to work from home and will be, at least until the new year.  This means I can use my low spec 2-in-1 to game on, with not much of a loss on quality, even on latency.  Any loss is simply due to the distance between the UK and the server in France but with low latency on the server side, there isn't much difference.

Considering the new plan at £15, even when the COVID situation improves and my wife goes back to work I will keep it, simply due to being able to use Shadow on the go, when visiting other countries or using my phone.  

I'm in love with the concept and feel at some point in the future, people won't be building expensive gaming PCs but using this method.  As long as the team at Shadow are upgrading every few years, I see no reason why that won't happen.  

Hopefully in the future there will be a server in the UK, to reduce latency even further, which I'm sure is something that has been discussed.  

Badge

As normally happy Shadow user I now have a disappointing journey with the Helpdesk. A cancelled and refunded Ghost was supprisingly pre announced for delivery by email to me and also delivered at home. After some days the Helpdesk was contacting me about the wrong delivery and was asking my help for the return shipment. I replied that we have both inconvenience from this situation and that the Ghost was still with to be send status in my online environment however it was now delivered and as said cancelled and refunded before. It was impossible for me to keep this wrong delivery even with payment. Shadow employee Riven was using these words: 'Due to specific regulations, we are not able to offer you to buy the Shadow Ghost at this moment'. Specific regulations huh?

I have Shadow for six months now. It has never been a success for me. In the beginning there were many problems that have been solved. Biggest problem for me is not enough storage space. Because of that I can hardly use Shadow. Not enough space for the MMO that I play. Get every week patch’s and new things. Have written this to customer service so many times. Asked if there is a solution. Every time I am told that expansion is not possible now. I've been hearing that for six months now. Shadow is useless to me. With more storage space, I could have been very satisfied with Shadow 

Badge

I started my shadow subscription back in 2019. I use shadow for EVERYTHING pretty much, From buying things on amazon, To School Work. I used NVIDIA GeForce Now before I came across shadow. And I did all my work / design on my local machine. However doing my GFX / VFX on my local was not the best experience, As my projects would crash once every 1-2 hours. So I decided to try out shadow and oh boy i never wanna go back. Shadow allows me to do everything I need to do with the Hardware Power required.

I have been able to accomplish many things thanks to shadow. Such as 3K+ Subscribers On YouTube. And meet new people and make a bond with them 🙂.

My most proud moment was when I first got shadow. I was over the moon with it, and would enjoy everyday doing what I loved without my Software crashing.

My dream plan is to accomplish 10K+ Subscribers on youtube. As I grind / work very hard on my Graphic Design’s.

The place where I have used shadow that surprised me the most is at my College / School. Just the thought of being able to Game / Design while still learning still blows me away.

And that journey has ended me up here 🙂 I will continue to use shadow for the foreseeable future, 

-Oreo / James

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Once upon a time Shadow was activated within the same day. 

My circle of friends had a reunion with everyone meeting in a random EU city for a long weekend and one of the evenings was blocked for gaming out of tradition.

Normally we would play board games and digital board games on tablets.

For that evening I was tasked to procure the games, instead I have registered 5 Shadow accounts with Warcraft 3 and League of Legends pre-installed. 

It ended up in a sleepless night, we missed out on the sightseeing and club the following day. 

After that fateful weekend Until the migration to Boost, Shadow was our service for in-person get together gaming and made many civilization nights possible while sitting at the beach bar, enjoying the sunset, having a drink and enjoy each others company while mumbling “one more turn”!

ps.: i did ask everyone to pack their laptops/ultrabooks instead of the usual ipads.

Badge

I was browsing through, trying to find  a way to play pc games on youtube. That’s then shadow was brought to my attention by a review video. I bought the 10$ 10 day trial, and I was off to the races.

I had just got home w my old laptop and i got a email saying its ready, I hopped on and let me tell you some of the most fun I had in a long time.

I bought the months afterward, and became a fan of shadow.

THE END

-i love gelgoog

Badge

Hi #TeamShadow 😃

Lately over at Shadow HQ, we’ve been thinking a lot about all the cool stories we’ve seen from you all. 

When you join #TeamShadow, you officially embark on a new and unique journey, with Shadow by your side, to accomplish your biggest dreams and loftiest ambitions.

We’ve seen Shadow used for everything, ranging from for gaming and content creation to professional work or just an enhanced computer experience. 

So tell us, what cool things do you do with your Shadow? We want you to show it off!

Need a little inspiration? Here are some questions to get you started:

• What have you been able to accomplish thanks to Shadow?

• What is your most proud moment since you had Shadow?

• What next dream to do you plan to tackle with the help of Shadow?

• What’s a place you’ve played Shadow at that surprised you?

• What device(s) have you played Shadow on that surprised you?

Let the storytelling begin!

I have not yet been able to do anything yet because I am still waiting to get activated.

Userlevel 1

I’ve accomplished “quiet” gaming. I despise fan noise, and Shadow lets me transfer the noise and heat to a server farm. Yay!❤️🤘

Badge +1

I had never been able to save up for a computer because of my poor spending habits so I ended up discovering shadow a couple months before the pandemic and I bought  it too soon, on april 16th. But when I got activated I was blown away by the high performance of the shadow computers. I had never used Nvidia hardware before and never seen fps over 30!

Badge

My shadow story is I got shadow back last August to get ready for stadia and GeForce now but it been really good to have for cloud gameing like cod and few other games I would like to see the other two service plans and more ghosts so I can play in 4k in my tv even a shadow controller down the road anyway would like to thanks the mods and Ryan for all their hard work and support hope everyone has a wonderful week and we

Badge

my shadow story: i bought it and am considering cancelling it because i haven’t been activated yet

Hey Shadow Team! I’ve been thinking about getting Shadow since December 2019. Was watching a ton of YouTube videos about the latency, performance, and all. Then I finally pre-ordered Shadow Boost in May! Mine still hasn't been activated but the forums say it will be by the end of June so I’m really excited to log in for the first time soon! I hope everyone is well during these times!

Badge

As an air traffic controller, or Commercial Aviation Coordinator as my badge says, we are restricted from installing software or running games on our computers or laptops. But with Shadow installed on my thumb drive and running in a portable sandbox from said thumb drive I can now play World of Warcraft, Doom Eternal, and Forza Horizon 4 anytime I so desire, regardless of how hectic my day has been. Thank you Shadow!

Badge

Yesterday I did the MOST Inception-Shadow thing possible:

I helped a friend set up all his gaming accounts using my shadow connected to Microsoft teams requesting permission to control his PC which had shadow installed and open on it, where I did all the ground work. 

Blew his mind, I can tell you that much!

Rage

I never had the best gaming setup. My first PC that my dad and I built over the course of a year was outdated the second it was completed, but my dad and I were proud of our 2GB RAM “Beast” running Windows XP. I kept maintaining it for years, but eventually I had to get with the times, put the old thing in storage and got myself a laptop.

I got a Dell with 8GB RAM, a 1GB APU for video, and a fan that sounds like a hamster wheel that has lasted me from 2015 to now. The thing is currently held together with tape, I’d post a picture of it for proof but I honestly feel embarrassed so maybe later if I feel confident or drunk enough, and I was playing Grand Theft Auto V and Fallout 4 with bellow baseline settings, using mods and hacks just to get things to run on it.

It was coming to it’s last leg though, and to get the most out of it I resorted to what I thought was not worth it, looking up services like Google Stadia… My actual google search was “Google Stadia but good”, and two results came up, GeForce Now and Shadow.

I tried GeForce Now first, the games on it were good but the selection was small, which was understandable but left me wanting more… Then I tried Shadow, and now I only boot up my laptop to connect to my Shadow. I started with my favorite games, Fallout 4, Grand Theft Auto V, Skyrim Special Edition, Doom 2016, Red Dead Redemption 2, and many more, all ran perfectly and I felt so much bliss.

Once I knew I could play games, I decided to try something crazy… “What if I downloaded Unity Engine?” And with Unity, Visual Studio, MediBang, Piskel, and Blender installed, I now have everything I need to finally bring my childhood dream of making a game to life.

Shadow didn’t just make a hobby of mine accessible, Shadow is helping me bring the dream I had when I was just a kid into reality. I hope after going through with a few tutorials I can start making great things, all thanks to Shadow for hosting such a great service.

As for my original desktop, if I find it in the old garage I left it in for my parents to take care of, I might be able to bring some new life to it thanks to services like Shadow, GeForce Now, Parsec, and many others, and I’m sure my dad will appreciate seeing me use the thing we created to create more than we originally thought we would.

My name is Jessica, I’ve been using Shadow since May 18th 2020, and I will use it to make something great.

I was trying to play Witcher 2 on an 8-year-old HP Revolve 810 G1 with 8GB RAM running Ubuntu 18.04... This was the same PC that ran out of virtual memory and crashed COD BO II (non-Steam!) on the absolute lowest settings, and W2 was about the same. I would literally have to play the same QTE’s over and over again because my PC failed me at one of gaming’s most basic skills: button-mashing.

I started researching alternative options, and being the IT nerd that I am, decided to give AWS WorkSpaces and Azure WVD a try… bad idea and n00b mistake. Kids, never trust RDP or PCoIP for gaming. Despite actually working pretty well for CAD and Netflix, it failed hard for stock trading, and even harder for gaming. I didn’t benchmark anything because I didn’t have to. AWS and Azure themselves were reporting latency above 70ms, and I was playing the OLD Modern Warfare. Anyway It cost me only $400 to find that out.

That’s when I turned to the internet’s most golden source of information: reddit. And after reading post after post of how much of an idiot I was, eGPU’s, and custom-built, I finally found one that mentioned 2 viable low-maintenance options: Paperspace and Shadow. 

Paperspace was out immediately. More expensive, lower-specked, and seems to cater more to productivity than gaming. Then there was Shadow. A 4-core gaming PC with 12GB RAM and a GTX 1080 for less than $20 a month!? Sounded almost too good to be true. I put in a pre-order just to see if I was hallucinating.

No, no I was not hallucinating. Sure, I had to wait 2 months for activation, but my GeForce NOW account picked up some of the slack in the meantime. When I logged in for the first time though… holy crap! Finished W2 on Ultra settings faster than you can pronounce “Gwynnbleidd”. That’s when I decided to put this new toy through its first test: Witcher 3, highest settings, gameplay- and texture-modded to all hell. The few times I had any noticeable lag, it was minor. I got hooked.

I’ve only experienced a handful of more major performance issues (my state is still in Exploration). On one hand, Shadow needs to BOOST its support for Android TV on 2017 NVidia Shield TV and have better overall community engagement. On the other hand, Eddie Gordo is now my favorite Tekken character AND my favorite Shadow Support Guru.

Considering how new of a company Shadow is, and the STEAL that is its pricing (do the math - Boost is $900 over 5 years, which is still WAY cheaper than BYO), I’m am DAMN impressed. Keep it up Shadow, and let me know when you’re hiring more actively in Les Etats-Unis. Or if you’re willing to sponsor Visas for L’Union Européenne :wink:

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hey Shadow Team! I’ve been thinking about getting Shadow since December 2019. Was watching a ton of YouTube videos about the latency, performance, and all. Then I finally pre-ordered Shadow Boost in May! Mine still hasn't been activated but the forums say it will be by the end of June so I’m really excited to log in for the first time soon! I hope everyone is well during these times!

hey if you look on this link : https://forum.shadow.tech/news-announcements-42/06-22-weekly-post-shadow-boost-activation-update-787 You can see that, unfortunately Shadow boost activations are experiencing some delays 😞 so probably not in June though :(

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I used it as part of my Master thesis. I'm researching methods to detect Deepfakes, and I used my Shadow's GPU to create and analyse Deepfake videos.
I actually cited the Shadow main page as well 😄

…submission date is in 9 days, so I better get back to writing now.

Amazing! Thanks for being apart of #TeamShadow and good luck finishing your thesis!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I started my shadow subscription back in 2019. I use shadow for EVERYTHING pretty much, From buying things on amazon, To School Work. I used NVIDIA GeForce Now before I came across shadow. And I did all my work / design on my local machine. However doing my GFX / VFX on my local was not the best experience, As my projects would crash once every 1-2 hours. So I decided to try out shadow and oh boy i never wanna go back. Shadow allows me to do everything I need to do with the Hardware Power required.

I have been able to accomplish many things thanks to shadow. Such as 3K+ Subscribers On YouTube. And meet new people and make a bond with them 🙂.

My most proud moment was when I first got shadow. I was over the moon with it, and would enjoy everyday doing what I loved without my Software crashing.

My dream plan is to accomplish 10K+ Subscribers on youtube. As I grind / work very hard on my Graphic Design’s.

The place where I have used shadow that surprised me the most is at my College / School. Just the thought of being able to Game / Design while still learning still blows me away.

And that journey has ended me up here 🙂 I will continue to use shadow for the foreseeable future, 

-Oreo / James

Thanks for sharing your story! Congrats on all of your youtube success! #TeamShadow are rooting for you to hit 10k. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became a member of a community called Shadow

Ever since news got out in 2015 that a company called Blade was trying to make a product called “Shadow” a gaming computer in the cloud i was hooked.

At first, i could not really believe it, “no way”, i thought, “but how in the hell is that possible”

And for years i was eager to try it but, for lack of money or of a decent internet connection, i could get my hands on this impossible product…..

….Up until November 9th 2018 after 10 days of waiting time to get activated (those were the days where That was a lot :’) ).

And sure enough, as lefty as i am, i didn’t know much about how to use it properly and also had some issues regarding its use in the first couple weeks. But i really was amazed by the possibility to get a call from Support where they were really helpful sorting that out for me. After that, have not had any issues with it ever since ^^. 

There are a few things that amaze me still to this day :

• The support team that, despite it being hard to do, are always there going above and beyond, to find a solution to people’s issues
  • The amazing community behind it with lots of members very much involved in its life (helping other users, shadow makers etc.)
  • The encounters that i was able to make through the community (through discord, hq visits, events etc.):
    • @Adélina  : she was the one who showed me around Shadow’s old office
    • Victor : very down to earth cool guys, as nice as you can imagine when seeing in on videos
    • @LucFromShadow , @MalteFromShadow , @Ryan from Shadow (thx again for the drinks 😉 ) and @AkimiFromShadow , that i’ve met several times, allways willing to help out and talk (as much as they can ^^)
    • Many other members of the Shadow team ( Groot, @CatOfSachse , dr who, Vincent etc.) that i’ve had fun with and have talked to (which led to some very nice, interesting and deep conversations)
    • Lots of members of the community that i am proud to call friends (oliverparisis , @Princesse Gwendalyn , @Cylae ,sotaan, xtrem, geek and so many others) that made me grow as a person and don’t alway tell me what i want to hear but alway tell me what i need to hear ^^ So thanks a lot to them
  • The close communication Shadow has toward its community : it is not always easy, Shadow has made mistake and might do so in the future, the delay of the new offers and activation etc. But despite their flaws, mistakes etc. they don’t hide, they hold their grounds even if, sometimes, it means taking the heat ^^
  • Last but not least : A gaming PC in the cloud, holy macarony, it actually works, But how could it? How did they do it and keep doing it ? (i mean, we know how, but wow still feel impossible sometimes !). I mean, most of the time, i’m on my shadow and forget that i’m not on my local pc, incredible

So for all of this, thank you all for your involvement and for being…. well you ^^ (team shadow, community members etc.)You’re all awesome and amazing ;)

PS : Also : welcome to @Greta from Shadow and @LoicFromShadow , may the force be with you, always….

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I never had the best gaming setup. My first PC that my dad and I built over the course of a year was outdated the second it was completed, but my dad and I were proud of our 2GB RAM “Beast” running Windows XP. I kept maintaining it for years, but eventually I had to get with the times, put the old thing in storage and got myself a laptop.

I got a Dell with 8GB RAM, a 1GB APU for video, and a fan that sounds like a hamster wheel that has lasted me from 2015 to now. The thing is currently held together with tape, I’d post a picture of it for proof but I honestly feel embarrassed so maybe later if I feel confident or drunk enough, and I was playing Grand Theft Auto V and Fallout 4 with bellow baseline settings, using mods and hacks just to get things to run on it.

It was coming to it’s last leg though, and to get the most out of it I resorted to what I thought was not worth it, looking up services like Google Stadia… My actual google search was “Google Stadia but good”, and two results came up, GeForce Now and Shadow.

I tried GeForce Now first, the games on it were good but the selection was small, which was understandable but left me wanting more… Then I tried Shadow, and now I only boot up my laptop to connect to my Shadow. I started with my favorite games, Fallout 4, Grand Theft Auto V, Skyrim Special Edition, Doom 2016, Red Dead Redemption 2, and many more, all ran perfectly and I felt so much bliss.

Once I knew I could play games, I decided to try something crazy… “What if I downloaded Unity Engine?” And with Unity, Visual Studio, MediBang, Piskel, and Blender installed, I now have everything I need to finally bring my childhood dream of making a game to life.

Shadow didn’t just make a hobby of mine accessible, Shadow is helping me bring the dream I had when I was just a kid into reality. I hope after going through with a few tutorials I can start making great things, all thanks to Shadow for hosting such a great service.

As for my original desktop, if I find it in the old garage I left it in for my parents to take care of, I might be able to bring some new life to it thanks to services like Shadow, GeForce Now, Parsec, and many others, and I’m sure my dad will appreciate seeing me use the thing we created to create more than we originally thought we would.

My name is Jessica, I’ve been using Shadow since May 18th 2020, and I will use it to make something great.

Thanks for sharing Jessica! So glad that your dreams are becoming reality :) 

I just wanted to chime in on this thread to thank you all at Shadow for all of your hard work. I got activated this week, had some issues that I caused that Mysterio helped me to resolve in less than 12 hours (thanks again!), and have been having an amazing time getting to play computer games that I would otherwise not be able to play right now without Shadow. And while some games like MTG Arena did work on my laptop before, I no longer have to worry about my laptop setting on fire when I play them on Shadow instead.

If you’re reading this and are waiting for your activation like I was (I made my order on May 22nd for the NY region), I promise that Shadow is worth the wait!