Very Impressed With Shadow So Far

• 12 August 2021
  • 0 replies

Badge

I recently got a Shadow PC. I had been following Shadow for the past two years from when it first launched, but the upfront cost + contract kept me from trying it out. And while I get a lot of early adopters are unhappy with the changes made to the service now, it was one of the reasons I decided to give Shadow a try… and I’ve decided that I’m going to keep the service so that when my current local pc finally dies, I can move over to the Shadow as my primary PC.

My current desktop is a bit better than the Shadow in several respects, but having played several games on it, even playing them on a cheap tablet, I was impressed at the performance and quality. And since Shadow will periodically update the hardware as time goes on, it will eventually equal/surpass my current PC.  Sure it won’t ever be a top tier gaming PC, but I’ve never been able to afford one of those anyway. I’ve mostly had machines in the 1300$-1500$ range and it’s always been a punch to the gut when I had to buy one cause the previous one died. With Shadow I hopefully won’t ever have to deal with that again.

Games I’ve played so far on Shadow:

Final Fantasy XIV

World of Warcraft

City of Heroes

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Skyrim: Special Edition

Emulated NES/SNES/NDS/GBA games

Devices I Used Shadow With:

Desktop PC - my peripherals were all recognized with only my mic needing some massaging to work

15.6” Laptop -  again peripherals were all recognized

10” Tablet - again peripherals were all recognized

iPhone 8 Plus - touchscreen worked flawlessly with the Shadow desktop and apps

47” Vizio Smart TV - I don’t have a wireless keyboard and mouse at the moment (I ordered though!) so I couldn’t test the peripherals, but I was able to see my Shadow desktop on my tv.

All of these played about as well as my current desktop. I have a good internet connection but it’s not fiber/gigabit internet. I still had comfortable experiences though so it can only get better when I swap to fiber/gigabit internet.

Other programs I’ve used include photo editors, audio editors, and other typical day to day things. About the only limitation I see with Shadow right now is the storage (which I understand additional storage is unavailable right now). I am able to cover my basics with the Shadow though and when additional storage is available I plan to add at least another 256gb. My external drive can cover the basic storage stuff and once I have the faster upload speeds from fiber, that should address my needs I think. I would like to see the RAM increased to 16GB though. That’s one of the areas where my current PC is superior. 12GB just seems like a weird number to me.

Just figured I’d share my experience with Shadow as a new customer and as a gamer here so anyone who is looking into Shadow can see some positive feedback. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. But even at 30$ a month, I think the service is worth it and the performance I got (your mileage may vary based on your location and your internet), was unexpectedly smooth.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!