Solved

Adding Shadow VR to the oculus Store?

• 28 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Do you guys have future plans on adding the Shadow VR app to the Oculus Store?

icon

Best answer by Raph from Shadow 28 October 2020, 16:13

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2

wasnt sure if i was supposed to make this a question or idea so yeah

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hello,
It is hard for us to match all the criterias required by Oculus/facebook to release on the Quest store.
First we are a subscription service, so even though the app in itself is free, it requires monthly fees. Only Supernatural VR in the US so far has a similar model.
Second, the experience quality highly depends on the user’s connection which is a parameter we do not control and is not easy to apprehend for everybody. 

Virtual Desktop ‘VR Patch’ is in a same boat as us on this.

Hello,
It is hard for us to match all the criterias required by Oculus/facebook to release on the Quest store.
First we are a subscription service, so even though the app in itself is free, it requires monthly fees. Only Supernatural VR in the US so far has a similar model.
Second, the experience quality highly depends on the user’s connection which is a parameter we do not control and is not easy to apprehend for everybody. 

I understand. It comes down to not tarnishing your reputation and instead letting us power users help iron out the bugs. There will be a tipping point when the average user embraces VR, but we certainly are not there yet. But when we are I bet apps like Shadow will be all over said app stores. In the mean time, SideQuest is a great, soon to official, alternative to have it listed on. Perhaps once SahdowVR becomes beta?

Hello,

@Raph from Shadow - firstly thanks for all your work. Just thought I’d add the Quest app “Tripp” is a free app that requires a subscription. The notable difference being the 7 minute demo available for free.

Perhaps adding a machine that people can queue / book to demo for 15-30 minute slots as a free trial might be an equivalent to this.

You guys have made it potentially possible for me to have a better experience than my friend with a Vive + Gaming PC for a fraction of the cost - you rock :metal:

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@Raph from Shadow - firstly thanks for all your work. Just thought I’d add the Quest app “Tripp” is a free app that requires a subscription. The notable difference being the 7 minute demo available for free.

Perhaps adding a machine that people can queue / book to demo for 15-30 minute slots as a free trial might be an equivalent to this.

You guys have made it potentially possible for me to have a better experience than my friend with a Vive + Gaming PC for a fraction of the cost - you rock :metal:

Did not realize about Tripp! Thanks for the trip, I want to try it now ^^ :)
This actually makes sense. Marked as free but with In app Purchase. We indeed could do the same if we dedicated some Shadow to short demo slots.
And thanks for the praise, I got into VR thanks to Shadow as well