Solved

Is there any way to make this useable?

• 23 February 2021
  • 1 reply

After waiting a month to get my Shadow, followed by several hours setting everything up, I’m completely disgusted with the Alpha experience. First it takes me a few minutes to login because I the pulses of light from the controller are hard to see and gave me a headache long before I could finish my password. Bluetooth keyboard connected to my Quest 2 (and working in other apps) did nothing. When I opened Shadow Alpha Desktop, there was an on-screen keyboard blocking the approval button I needed to hit and no way to move it. Back to the computer I learned how long it takes to revert to Shadow Original. Searching the forums I see installing beta will fix that so I install it for the next go around. I took care of the last installation and switched back to the Quest to try Shadow VR. After waiting minutes for it to load I google and find a thread that it was broken 2 months ago. Threads marked solved but more people are reporting it this week with no responses. Heading back to the PC I get the last straw, it’s taking a bunch of time to switch from Alpha to Beta… 

Is there a way to make this work for Quest? I’m going to try Virtual Desktop in the morning and see if there are any responses here. If that doesn’t work, I’ll be calling to cancel my contract and get a full refund. I’m pissed I’ve already invested in apps and this is useless. 

icon

Best answer by daniel 23 February 2021, 10:41

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge

Are you aware of what Alpha means? If not:

Alpha software is not thoroughly tested by the developer before it is released to customers. Alpha software may contain serious errors, and any resulting instability could cause crashes or data loss. Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version. In general, external availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software, while open source software often has publicly available alpha versions.

I’m not sure how you can be disgusted when it makes no promises of quality at all. This is a sneak preview of what is to come and responses like yours are why companies are reticent to share Alpha versions of software. If you bought Shadow because of an Alpha version of VR support then you should cancel and you made a mistake, because it isn’t yet a product.

However, I’ve used Virtual Desktop a lot and it is a pretty polished product. Only downside is the away timer will shut your shadow down unless you do some non-VR interaction periodically. So give that a go.