What is the end goal of ShadowVR

• 5 November 2020
  • 8 replies

As a VR enthusiast, and passionate gamer, I am curious about what the scope of ShadowVR is or might be. As it stands it appears to just be a direct competitor to Virtual Desktop, but with no gaming computer needed. Instead, just a monthly subscription. Which is awesome, but is that all, or will there be more? 

I have marked this as a discussion topic because I’m interested in hearing not only from Shadow Staff, but also from other VR enthusiasts. 

What if it had multiplayer. What if it used hand tracking and a keyboard overlay. What if it you had a physicalized game space to play 2D video games with your friend right next to you.
What if...

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hello,
I would like to hear from other VR enthusiasts as well ^^

I became a Shadow subscriber because of my Oculus Quest 2. I have used Macs for work and consoles for gaming. I find it a hassle to set up Virtual Desktop to a computer to stream VR for myself or my kids. So far I have not been able to get past the loading screen for Shadow VR after it updates, but I’m looking forward to the development of the app as I really dig VR and I find the Shadow platform really intriguing. 

The ability to load Shadow VR and hit my Steam account is so vital. 

I just need it to run Star Wars: Squadrons and I’m a happy camper. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

As you probably have not realized, it will take some time before SW:Squadrons can run on ShadowVR. That being because you need a controller to play the game. Considering the latency we note so far when controlling a controller in bluetooth to the Quest, there is still work for it to be ready.

As you probably have not realized, it will take some time before SW:Squadrons can run on ShadowVR. That being because you need a controller to play the game. Considering the latency we note so far when controlling a controller in bluetooth to the Quest, there is still work for it to be ready.

Couldn’t using the ghost or a desktop-client for the controller be an option? As soon as you connect the VR-Headset to the shadow the desktop-client switches to an input-only mode where the video stream is disabled. Would allow to use a wired connection for the input but somewhat seems like a very strange setup.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Yes, we would need to make the product more complicated indeed with two clients. This is why it’s to be debated.

I was on hiatus for a couple weeks because ShadowVR Alpha broke my Shadow and I had to reset :rolling_eyes: but otherwise it is my hope that I could do everything wirelessly on my Quest 2 using WiFi 6 (eventually) and it will be indistinguishable from any PCVR experience.

I agree with 5ileX the Quest 2 and Wifi 6 is the next big “step” into VR for me. 

For me personally, the perfect end scenario would be a product that full fills the user stories of using PCVR(3D games), ShadowPC(2D games/work), and Discord(easy social experience) all in one. We have learned from the Quest’s success that the big blockers for most people using VR are: 
-Having a gaming PC

-Ease of use(all-in-one) 

-Making it more of a social experience

So it’ll be interesting to see how the next few years of Shadow and VR evolve.

Maybe the end-goal is to one day release a cheap ghost-headset that undercuts every other standalone headset on the market.  Could partner with some random Chinese standalone headset maker.  You sure wouldn’t need a high-end SOC just to do location tracking and decode h.265 frames.

I do worry that if any one third-party VR service, such as Shadow VR, REALLY takes off, Facebook will lock down the next quest to keep people from sideloading anything that would offer the ability to buy VR games from a store Facebook doesn’t take a cut from.

However it won’t be long until third party standalone headsets catch up the the Quest, so maybe that won’t be a big deal.