Question

ShadowVR Controller Help

• 4 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi All, I’m relatively new to Shadow VR + Quest 2-- I've got my setup working well with a few things, like HL: Alyx and Google Earth. I've been trying to make Elite Dangerous work, but anything I try I get zero control response from the controllers. The only thing I can do is bring up the SteamVR menu and quit. It starts up with a regular menu, but I can’t select anything or do anything. I got it in game once by starting in 2d and switching to VR, but again, zero control response through the touch controllers.

Also worth noting that I get similar (lack of) response using the ShadowVR app and Virtual Desktop, despite a few attempts at restarting and installing everything from scratch.

7 replies

I came here with the same problem, except I'm one or one half ahead of you. ED needs a gampad or other controller as it doesn't support Q2 touch controls, so I hear.. I have an Xbox one gp that connects everywhere just fine, except to the shadow vr beta.. I can get it to work in Virtual desktop but always has a bad laggy connection there so it's not how I want to enjoy my first entry into the game. Connecting the pad to the quest leaves me limp at the menu. How do you get a game pad to work with beta? 

Lots of people asking similar questions about controllers on ShadowVR. The basic answer is…

ShadowVR does not currently support any input other than touch controllers. 

This is stated in the official VR changelogs on this forum. Whilst you can connect lots of different peripherals to the Quest via bluetooth, none of them will work with ShadowVR. All we can do is wait until controller support is announced here. 

There is also the separate issue of some VR games not supporting touch controllers (partially or at all).  This is down to the individual game devs to fix and not the Shadow team. 

Hopefully this helps to clarify the current situation. 

Thanks for response. I saw your post that ended with a notation on the topic. I’d guess you’ve been looking into it for a while, so I’ll ratify your reply is on point.

Being the current modding capabilities and knowing how smart some of our peers are, I’m hoping something comes up as a workaround if Shadow and Devs have other priorities. I would guess that this is just logistically difficult to overcome given the hardware provided with Meta’s (sigh) budget headset. 

Appreciate the educated info! 

Badge

It doesn’t really support Touch controllers either. When I log into Steam my controllers are always messed up configured incorrectly and it makes my games unplayable. I have tried to configure them onside Steam and nothing seems to work. I could use some help. They have been backwards with the trigger and grip switched to just plain unusable. My internet is not an issue nor is my ping/latency I’m well with in all requirements and still having issues, 

That’s new to me, I haven’t really had issues with the Oc Touch’s.. I’m two days into a brand new gaming rig. I’ve been having bad connection issues our here in Az. If you want @Tobez28, find me in Oculus under my WeR account name and send a message. I’d be glad to help you out. Actually putting stuff together to help folks with this sort of thing and a larger scale. Hit me up!

Badge

I'll do that could really use the help. 

Badge

That’s new to me, I haven’t really had issues with the Oc Touch’s.. I’m two days into a brand new gaming rig. I’ve been having bad connection issues our here in Az. If you want @Tobez28, find me in Oculus under my WeR account name and send a message. I’d be glad to help you out. Actually putting stuff together to help folks with this sort of thing and a larger scale. Hit me up!

WeR wasn't able to find you or found a few and wasn't sure which. I'm under Tober28 if you can message me I'd appreciate any assistance. Thanks again.