News

09/01 Weekly Post: Shadow Boost Activation Update

• 1 September 2020
  • 47 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hey #TeamShadow,

Welcome to September!

In this week’s activation update, our Chicago, New York, and Texas datacenters are making some significant headway through the queue, nearly catching up in full on pre-orders originally promised August for New York.

For Paris, the team is focusing on stability improvements this week, and should resume activations next week. All this while Amsterdam moves steadily along to finish activating pre-orders promised August, similar to New York.

Thank you for your continued excitement and patience as you wait for your Shadow. We can’t wait till you get your hands on it!

As a reminder:
-We activate Monday through Thursday

-Beginning at 8am local time each day for each datacenter

Below is the activation information by datacenter. You can check which datacenter you belong to here

CHICAGO:

Activations this week:

July 24th - August 12th

If pre-order date is between August 12th - August 25th:

Activation by end of October 2020

If pre-order date is August 25th or later:

Activation by end of November 2020

TEXAS:

Activations this week:
July 30th - August 24th

If pre-order date is between August 24th - August 25th:

Activation by end of September 2020

NEW YORK:

Activations this week:

July 2nd - July 19th

If pre-order date is between July 19th - July 22nd:

Activation by end of September 2020 (delayed from August 2020)

If pre-order date is between July 22nd - July 29th:

If pre-order date is between July 29th - July 30th:

If pre-order date is between July 30th - August 20th:

If pre-order date is August 20th or later:

Activation by end of December 2020

SANTA CLARA:

Activations this week:

August 8th - August 14th

If pre-order date is between August 14th - August 25th:

PARIS:
Activations this week:

No activations this week, as the team is working on the datacenter’s stability

If pre-order date is between May 14th- July 22nd:

If pre-order is between July 22nd - July 30th

Activation by end of February 2021

AMSTERDAM:

Activations this week:
July 20th - July 22nd

To learn what “Activation” means and what it takes to activate your Shadow, check out this post:
https://forum.shadow.tech/activation-account-billing-31/activation-58

47 replies

I was activated this morning!  I've been doing Windows updates and installing games ever since. (As expected)

Definitely had some crazy screen flicker initially, but shutting off AMD Freesync on my monitor stopped that immediately.  I'm excited to play some games after work!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi!

Will Shadow take advantage of the Nvidia series 3000 pricing? Not only are these cards cheaper than the previous generation ones, but making use of them would result in a remarkable perfomance increase.

By the way, my account was activated on monday. WOO! 

Shadow will not be able to use a consumer GPU in their datacenter. Only NVIDIA enterprise cards, like QUADRO, are allowed in a setup like the one offered. (Shadow has some GTX 1080 in older machines, but will only be able to add datacenter cards)

Also they already have the hardware installed, calculated their prices and OUADRO with Ampere Chip (like RTX 30XX) have not been announced.

tl:dr i don't think so.

Hi!

Will Shadow take advantage of the Nvidia series 3000 pricing? Not only are these cards cheaper than the previous generation ones, but making use of them would result in a remarkable perfomance increase.

Shadow will not be able to use a consumer GPU in their datacenter. Only NVIDIA enterprise cards, like QUADRO, are allowed in a setup like the one offered. (Shadow has some GTX 1080 in older machines, but will only be able to add datacenter cards)

Also they already have the hardware installed, calculated their prices and OUADRO with Ampere Chip (like RTX 30XX) have not been announced.

OK thanks!

So in other words, for Paris datacenter, if you ordered on the 14th of May you already have your account available, if you ordered on the 15th you’re good to wait for end of October. Oh and if you were just 500kms away, nearer Amsterdam, and ordered end of July (2months+ than in France), you would also be having your account up and ready.

That makes a lot of sense guys, great work.

Storage is urgently needed and it would be praiseworthy if this could be pre-ordered so that you don't have to keep yourself informed. Those who cannot be online all the time will miss out on the short-term offer of storage. What use is the beautiful virtual computer if there is no space for the games? A cloud solution or USB is counterproductive for installing games! That would be interesting for office applications.

Seems silly to delay the Paris server by so much. You’re going to lose so much business when the next cloud provider pops up with better availability than this. 0 respect for customers for the Paris datacenter and 0 brand loyalty built for you. when the next competitor comes along I’m likely to switch. Had high hopes for this service, yet I can’t even use it for months.

Reading between the lines it sounds as if there are actual problems at the Paris datacentre (no sane business would stop bringing on new paying customers like this unless bad stuff was happening). It's that, or they've had a hot tub installed / coke and hookers 😂.

I registered on May 17th so I was hopeful of being activated this week. Sadly not ... the demand sounds like it's insane.

Just out of interest, do you have graphs of the number of people who have pre ordered, and when they pre ordered? That might go some way to helping people understand the additional demand on the service?

Hello, any news about Arizona?

Hi!

Could I ask What Quadro RTX cards are used in the higher tier builds?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi!

Could I ask What Quadro RTX cards are used in the higher tier builds?

Ahoi,

the diffrent options are.

Boost = QUADRO P5000, Ultimate = QUADRO RTX 5000, Infinite = QUADRO RTX 6000

only professional grade card are allowed in datacenter by nvidia TOS.

I do not understand this distribution of dates for New York.  It seems like October is an underachiever.

Hey #TeamShadow,

Welcome to September!

In this week’s activation update, our Chicago, New York, and Texas datacenters are making some significant headway through the queue, nearly catching up in full on pre-orders originally promised August for New York.

For Paris, the team is focusing on stability improvements this week, and should resume activations next week. All this while Amsterdam moves steadily along to finish activating pre-orders promised August, similar to New York.

Thank you for your continued excitement and patience as you wait for your Shadow. We can’t wait till you get your hands on it!

As a reminder:
-We activate Monday through Thursday

-Beginning at 8am local time each day for each datacenter

Below is the activation information by datacenter. You can check which datacenter you belong to here

CHICAGO:

Activations this week:

July 24th - August 12th

If pre-order date is between August 12th - August 25th:

TEXAS:

Activations this week:
July 30th - August 24th

If pre-order date is between August 24th - August 25th:

NEW YORK:

Activations this week:

July 2nd - July 19th

If pre-order date is between July 19th - July 22nd:

Activation by end of September 2020 (delayed from August 2020)

SANTA CLARA:

Activations this week:

August 8th - August 14th

If pre-order date is between August 14th - August 25th:

PARIS:
Activations this week:

No activations this week, as the team is working on the datacenter’s stability

If pre-order date is between May 14th- July 22nd:

If pre-order is between July 22nd - July 30th

Activation by end of February 2021

AMSTERDAM:

Activations this week:
July 20th - July 22nd

To learn what “Activation” means and what it takes to activate your Shadow, check out this post:
https://forum.shadow.tech/activation-account-billing-31/activation-58

No activations to California. Dang its gonna be a long 3 months til i get my shadow activated. Hopefully my shadow will have the actual 1080 Ti 11GB! Geforce Now uses Telsa an they are awful for gaming. Moving to shadow in hope for a better experience. I hope you guys get a seattle datacenter. Sense im an hour away from there an id have the greatest experience an lowest ping/latency there. Please bring a data center to Washington State Hopefully Seattle! I dont wanna be stuck on California forever. 

No weekly update this week?

Userlevel 2

@RyanFromShadow @BrittaneyFromShadow Hello. Just wondering what the plan is for this week's update? Thanks.

Userlevel 1

I hope this week paris don’t need to have to work in “datacenter’s stability

I fear deciding how to phrase this may be the reason for another delay in updating…..

Labor Day in the US yesterday. So no work on a holiday.

But yes, hope Paris isn’t delayed much longer.

Labor Day in the US yesterday. So no work on a holiday.

But yes, hope Paris isn’t delayed much longer.

Ah nice I didn’t know the customer team was in the US.

From the Discord the Paris activations this week have been 17th May yesterday and 20th May today so they are back on it.

They are activating accounts this week, from what we can see on discord they are up to the 20th May for Paris now (as of Tuesday 8th September)

@nikobe @Chandoraa @SnezzyDwarf @KennyM4h4 @PrimeCheese The activation update for this week  is live.  To clarify, Ryan and I are the US community managers and yes, yesterday was a holiday for us which is why we did not post an activation update.

Userlevel 2

@nikobe @Chandoraa @SnezzyDwarf @KennyM4h4 @PrimeCheese The activation update for this week  is live.  To clarify, Ryan and I are the US community managers and yes, yesterday was a holiday for us which is why we did not post an activation update.

Thanks @BrittaneyFromShadow I assumed that was the case. I hope you had a good long weekend!

@Chandoraa Pretty good, thanks :)