10/05 Weekly Post: Shadow Boost Activation Update

• 5 October 2020
  • 56 replies

Show first post

56 replies

Ordered June 4th,hopefully i’ll get it this week :fingers_crossed_tone1:

So much salt in this thread - you’d almost think there was an unprecedented surge of demand due to some kind of global pandemic or something.

But by god, you better personally ensure that MY order goes through first!

:joy:

Never change gamers - your impatience and self-interest truly defines you

Spoken proudly by someone on the Amsterdam data center.

Actually, my date is supposedly in November some time. We’ll see what happens.

I just realize that there’s a fucking pandemic, causing unprecedented demand on cloud resources, and disruption in shipping/distribution.

The guys are doing the best they can, and quite possibly putting themselves at risk, so *we* can play some 100fps LoL - there’s more important things in life, like life itself.

Try being in charge of cloud infrastructure at a small company, only to have to go back to the CEO and say “sorry, Microsoft is full in our region” - I literally had to do that recently, so a few gamers waiting a few more weeks is nothing.

Hi, I also realise that there’s a pandemic. My date is in February, likely March now. While I disagree with waiting six months for a product, I am waiting regardless. I realise that there is an unprecedented demand, but I feel that with proper handling and scaling it would not have gotten out of hand to this point. 

I am not asking them to work harder or stress themselves so I can play games but I don’t think transparency is too much to ask for. We need to know what’s going on and if anything is being done about it and frankly, start being treated like customers? It’s literally been dark since i’ve pre-ordered, excluding these posts. Dunno, just my two cents.

Sucks when you look at other datacenters and see how well they are performing in comparison to the Paris datacenter. Finally, I reread my message and it came across as insulting, sorry, I guess? I just don't seem to find it valid to brand people as ‘impatient’ if you are not waiting six months for activations like we impatient folk.

Ah well, look forward to this week’s update, but likely just another five (four?) days of activations in June, if trends continue. (June 7th - June 11th) If you get yours this week, have fun. Delays suck because it’s already an exceptional wait time, possibly more delayed, so it’s understandable why everyone, is, well, unhappy.

Hi, I also realise that there’s a pandemic. My date is in February, likely March now. While I disagree with waiting six months for a product, I am waiting regardless. I realise that there is an unprecedented demand, but I feel that with proper handling and scaling it would not have gotten out of hand to this point. 

I am not asking them to work harder or stress themselves so I can play games but I don’t think transparency is too much to ask for. We need to know what’s going on and if anything is being done about it and frankly, start being treated like customers? It’s literally been dark since i’ve pre-ordered, excluding these posts. Dunno, just my two cents.

Sucks when you look at other datacenters and see how well they are performing in comparison to the Paris datacenter. Finally, I reread my message and it came across as insulting, sorry, I guess? I just don't seem to find it valid to brand people as ‘impatient’ if you are not waiting six months for activations like we impatient folk.

Ah well, look forward to this week’s update, but likely just another five (four?) days of activations in June, if trends continue. (June 7th - June 11th) If you get yours this week, have fun. Delays suck because it’s already an exceptional wait time, possibly more delayed, so it’s understandable why everyone, is, well, unhappy.

By proper handling, I assume you mean proper planning, which is extremely hard to do right now - especially when they may be beholden to third parties who they have no control over themselves.

You say they’ve been dark “excluding these posts” - that’s a bit like saying “it’s pitch black outside ... if I close my eyes”. Yes, they could send some emails through directing people to these posts, or do an email broadcast each time they update this post, but really what you’re saying is “they’re not updating me in the specific way I would like to be updated”. In a world of SMS updates and Email, it’s certainly understandable that you may like a more direct line of communication, but it’s far from “dark”.

Also, I believe they provided an estimated activation date when you signed up if you went into your profile and checked. Again, it’s a bit hidden, and they could do more to broadcast/publish that when you first sign up (or even before), but the information is there.

As for coming across insulting, no need to apologize, I was far more confrontational, and I was addressing the entire thread, not you individually. I wanted people to stop for a moment and consider that this is a small company that went from developing a cool product, and learning to scale, to suddenly seeing unprecedented demand that can easily overwhelm a startup. Microsoft literally struggled to cope with the surge in demand they saw, especially in Europe, so expecting a startup with 1/100th the resources to be able to deliver the same standard of service that we’re seeing from the big giants like Amazon, Microsoft, Google, etc is a bit unfair.

It may feel “unfair” to brand people as “impatient” if they complain about waiting 6 months for activations, but the reality is that it’s true. As a population, we are simply not used to waiting 6 months for anything, let alone digital goods! So whilst it may feel “unfair”, it’s also truthful, even if it is understandable.

At the end of the day, I wish everyone here the best, as we’re all going through difficult times. Just remember, we’re all going through them together :)

By proper handling, I assume you mean proper planning, which is extremely hard to do right now - especially when they may be beholden to third parties who they have no control over themselves.

You say they’ve been dark “excluding these posts” - that’s a bit like saying “it’s pitch black outside ... if I close my eyes”. Yes, they could send some emails through directing people to these posts, or do an email broadcast each time they update this post, but really what you’re saying is “they’re not updating me in the specific way I would like to be updated”. In a world of SMS updates and Email, it’s certainly understandable that you may like a more direct line of communication, but it’s far from “dark”.

Also, I believe they provided an estimated activation date when you signed up if you went into your profile and checked. Again, it’s a bit hidden, and they could do more to broadcast/publish that when you first sign up (or even before), but the information is there.

As for coming across insulting, no need to apologize, I was far more confrontational, and I was addressing the entire thread, not you individually. I wanted people to stop for a moment and consider that this is a small company that went from developing a cool product, and learning to scale, to suddenly seeing unprecedented demand that can easily overwhelm a startup. Microsoft literally struggled to cope with the surge in demand they saw, especially in Europe, so expecting a startup with 1/100th the resources to be able to deliver the same standard of service that we’re seeing from the big giants like Amazon, Microsoft, Google, etc is a bit unfair.

It may feel “unfair” to brand people as “impatient” if they complain about waiting 6 months for activations, but the reality is that it’s true. As a population, we are simply not used to waiting 6 months for anything, let alone digital goods! So whilst it may feel “unfair”, it’s also truthful, even if it is understandable.

At the end of the day, I wish everyone here the best, as we’re all going through difficult times. Just remember, we’re all going through them together :)

Hah! funnily enough, it is pitch black outside right now (or, almost). Also, I was mostly addressing the fact they seem to have coped well with the demand in other datacenters but for some reason the Paris datacenter has been crippled. That’s why I feel like the Paris datacenter could do with more investment/resources. I don’t expect that they have foreseen the pandemic but I do expect that they at least have plans on what comes next.

Also, yes, they are communicating when they are activating, but, well, that’s already known through the order dashboard. These posts help knowing that activation is inching closer and being miserable with others but aside from that, there isn’t really much communication regarding anything else. I’d really hoped there’d be more communication along the wait but I guess this is decent for now.

I understand what you mean and that people need to respect that they are trying their best but from a consumer point of view, you are waiting six months for a product, possibly delayed more in the future. There’s no communication or roadmap on what’s being done to address the delays, issues and to me it feels like there’s a lack of transparency, not too bad as we still get these posts. You are right, no one is used to waiting six months for anything… (exceptions apply, like birth, but different context)

I am willing to wait but at some point it seems ridiculous and that something has gone wrong somewhere to have to wait half a year to have a product delivered, whilst folks elsewhere have a maximum 2-3 month wait, some even wait less than a day, and who knows, I might be delayed even more than 6 months. It’s worrying really. Anyway, at the end of the day, activation will come eventually but it just doesn’t feel right. Anyway, keep safe. Odd days these are.

Spoiler alert:  My August 21st order for a shadow in the New York data center was fulfilled this morning.

I am willing to wait but at some point it seems ridiculous and that something has gone wrong somewhere to have to wait half a year to have a product delivered

I backed Star Citizen back in 2012 :joy: