11/09 Weekly Post: Shadow Boost Activation Update

• 9 November 2020
  • 64 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Update: As of 11/12 8:00am PT, AMS activations have been posted below.  Thank you for your patience.

Update: As of 11/10 8:09 am PT, PA activations have been posted below.  Thank you for your patience.

Disclaimer: As of 11/09 9:33 am PT, we have not received activation information for the EU data centers.  This article and disclaimer will be updated once we receive this information.  We apologize for the delay and appreciate your understanding.

Hey #TeamShadow,

Welcome to this week’s activation update!

🥖 Tu es francophone ? Consulte la partie “PARIS” pour obtenir des infos sur les activations. ⚠ Les commentaires se font uniquement en anglais.

🇩🇪 Du bist deutschsprachig? Informationen über Aktivierungen für Deutschland findest du im Abschnitt "Amsterdam". ⚠ Bitte kommentiere hier nur auf Englisch.

This week’s activations are rolling along at a steady pace across all datacenters. At this time, I have no update for EU.

Thank you for your patience as you wait for your Shadow! While you wait for activation, we hope you take a moment to browse the forum to see what else the community is buzzing about. A good place to start is always with introducing yourself to #TeamShadow :)

As a reminder:

-We activate Monday through Thursday

-Beginning at 8am local time each day for each datacenter

Below is the activation information by datacenter. You can check which datacenter you belong to here

CHICAGO:

Activations this week:

October 25th - November 8th

If pre-order date is November 8th or later:

Activation by end of November 2020

TEXAS:

Activations this week:

Live - Within 24 hours

NEW YORK:

Activations this week:

September 14th - September 23rd

If pre-order date is September 23rd - October 5th:

Activation by end of December 2020

If pre-order date is October 5th or later:

Activation by end of January 2021

SANTA CLARA:

Activations this week:

October 25th-November 3rd

If pre-order date is November 3rd or later:

PARIS:

🥖

Activations cette semaine :

30 juin - 6 juillet

Date de précommande comprise entre 7 juin - 30 juillet :

Activation prévue d’ici fin novembre 2020 **

Date de précommande comprise entre 30 juillet - 20 août :

Activation prévue d’ici fin décembre 2020

Date de précommande comprise entre 20 août  - 14 septembre :

Activation prévue d’ici fin février 2021

Date de précommande comprise entre 14 septembre - 22 octobre :

Activation prévue d’ici fin mars 2021

Date de précommande comprise entre 22 octobre - 2 novembre:

Activation prévue d’ici fin avril 2021

Date de précommande à partir du 2 novembre:

Activation prévue d’ici fin mai 2021

**certaines activations estimées pour novembre vont malheureusement être retardées à décembre 2020. Les utilisateurs impactés recevront un email d'ici la fin de cette semaine.

🇬🇧

Activations this week:

June 30th - July 6th

If pre-order is between July 7th - July 30th

Activation by end of November 2020**

If pre-order date is between July 30th - August 20th:

If pre-order date is August 20th - September 14th:

Activation by end of February 2021

If pre-order date is September 14th - October 22nd:

Activation by end of March 2021

If pre-order date is October 22nd - November 2nd:

Activation by end of April 2021

If pre-order date is November 2nd or later:

Activation by end of May 2021

**some users that were estimated for a November activation will unfortunately be delayed until December 2020 for their Shadow to be activated. Impacted users should receive an email by the end of this week.

AMSTERDAM:

🇩🇪

Aktivierungen diese Woche:

7. September - 9. September

Vorbestelldatum zwischen 09. September - 05. Oktober:

Voraussichtliche Aktivierung bis Ende Dezember 2020 

Vorbestelldatum zwischen 05. Oktober - 01. November:

Voraussichtliche Aktivierung bis Ende Januar 2021 

Vorbestelldatum ist der 02. November oder später:

Voraussichtliche Aktivierung bis Ende Februar 2021 

🇬🇧

Activations this week:

September 7th - September 9th

If pre-order date is September 9th - October 5th:

If pre-order date is October 5th - November 1st:

Activation by end of January 2021

If pre-order date is November 2nd or later:

Activation by end of February 2021

To learn what “Activation” means and what it takes to activate your Shadow, check out this post:

https://forum.shadow.tech/activation-account-billing-31/activation-58

64 replies

Still 2021 for new york? bruh wtf. at least gimme some elevator music to listen to while i wait.

No Paris updates! 

Awsome, 

So when will everyone find this info out?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

No Paris updates! 

Awsome, 

So when will everyone find this info out?

@Craigeeni1986 We're not confident with the information to provide a precise date and we will update later on this thread when we know for dates we can deliver on as mentioned on the disclaimer.

Is there any eta on the dallas, texas data center? 

Userlevel 1

EU/Paris here. I contacted support to find out the status of my activation, and it is in line with what I see on my account page (login > My Orders > Available from). In my case I ordered on Aug 18 and while the expected activation used to be “by the end of December 2020” until recently, it has now been postponed to March 2021.

Let’s embrace this new delay and enjoy the wait “ 🙂 “

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Is there any eta on the dallas, texas data center? 

@brian71mm No delay on the Dallas data center at this time.  You should receive your activation within 24 hours on weekdays.

Userlevel 1

If Paris data centre gets delayed again then I have had enough, will be cancelling for a refund. Think I will order a PC, pay monthly should get a pc with better specs than the highest tier of Shadow and no waiting.

Wish you’d let me swap to Amsterdam from Paris not even that much of a difference distance wise (as the crow flies it’s closer) 

I apologise for my rant, 

It's just frustrating to be waiting so long, 

I get ure all busy but I was originally told october and now end of November,

So yes I'm on here every week waiting for my activation.

Thanks 

Paris has had loads of delays and now we dont even get any info?! I respect the Paris server and all as they are the most used one, but come on at least can we get a bit of a update on the Paris server and what is going on over there as its like Nevada counting up the votes over there!

I just want to know, is there anybody who ordered an ultra in october of 2019 and if possible, what happen to yours ? I’m a bit worried about my ordored. Thanks in advance 

Excited because my order was moved from “order” to “subscription”, anyone else have this and had activation the same day? (:

Man waiting till January 2021 to get back to squad!! I recently broke my pc while trying to fix it so seeing this from linus videos gave me hope.

damn. new york is January 2021? anyone got it before their time for new york data center?

‘’we have not received activation information for the EU data centers’’ Great!!! Strangely on the week I should get activated……… I’m really thinking that shadow is just a joke…..

Assuming performance is good, then Shadow looks like good VFM, even with the cards offered being now 2 generations behind the latest, and particularly when compared against other DAAS - it’s v.competitive. So, I’m keen to stick with this. But have found the time taken to activate to be surprisingly long. I speculate that there are a whole group of reasons for this, my thoughts (in no particular order and probably not very well thought articulated):

• Would providing some charts of activation per week in each of the data centres help give customers a more realistic understanding of how activations are going? Or conversely serve to frustrate?
  • What’s Shadow’s eventual activation timeline goal and what is the strategy, or strategies being implemented for getting all the data centres to a reasonable activation timeline?
  • What is the trend for the data centres, are activations getting longer or shorter at the moment?
  • Is there work ongoing to tie up the times shown on the pre-order page with this forum (they don’t seem to match up)?
  • Is there a peak delay time that causes pre-order cancellations? Or do cancellations tend to me more associated with repeated revisions to customers activation dates? Does losing a pre-order mean they’re unlikely to come back? (E.g. because they buy a PC)
  • What’s Shadow’s longer term view on tech refreshes? (Whilst I don’t think a GTX 1080 is an issue right now, I do wonder how quickly tech refreshes will occur to ensure Shadow remains competitive, given some data centres appear to be challenged to meet reasonable activation timelines - a roadmap out a few years could provide some re-assurance).

Thanks

Hello, 

Paris customer here. My order had just disappeared from “Order” tab on my shadow account, and I don’t see anything listed under the “VM” tab. I ordered a Shadow Boost early july and it should have been provisioned by the end of october (delayed to november according to these weekly posts).

Is this related to issues with activations in EU datacenters ? A bug on the interface ? I’ve reached the support by email but I think it would be useful to post here if other people are concerned.

Thanks,

Hello, 

Paris customer here. My order had just disappeared from “Order” tab on my shadow account, and I don’t see anything listed under the “VM” tab. I ordered a Shadow Boost early july and it should have been provisioned by the end of october (delayed to november according to these weekly posts).

Is this related to issues with activations in EU datacenters ? A bug on the interface ? I’ve reached the support by email but I think it would be useful to post here if other people are concerned.

Thanks,

Hello,

I had the same thing when my shadow activated. It was ok during the day

Assuming performance is good, then Shadow looks like good VFM, even with the cards offered being now 2 generations behind the latest, and particularly when compared against other DAAS - it’s v.competitive. So, I’m keen to stick with this. But have found the time taken to activate to be surprisingly long. I speculate that there are a whole group of reasons for this, my thoughts (in no particular order and probably not very well thought articulated):

• Would providing some charts of activation per week in each of the data centres help give customers a more realistic understanding of how activations are going? Or conversely serve to frustrate?
  • What’s Shadow’s eventual activation timeline goal and what is the strategy, or strategies being implemented for getting all the data centres to a reasonable activation timeline?
  • What is the trend for the data centres, are activations getting longer or shorter at the moment?
  • Is there work ongoing to tie up the times shown on the pre-order page with this forum (they don’t seem to match up)?
  • Is there a peak delay time that causes pre-order cancellations? Or do cancellations tend to me more associated with repeated revisions to customers activation dates? Does losing a pre-order mean they’re unlikely to come back? (E.g. because they buy a PC)
  • What’s Shadow’s longer term view on tech refreshes? (Whilst I don’t think a GTX 1080 is an issue right now, I do wonder how quickly tech refreshes will occur to ensure Shadow remains competitive, given some data centres appear to be challenged to meet reasonable activation timelines - a roadmap out a few years could provide some re-assurance).

Thanks

It really is good, I’ve had it before let it go due to buying a PC and I’m back here again 😂

Userlevel 1
Badge

When I read your comments, it reminds me of my time when I was waiting to be activated. I ordered in early June 2020 (Paris DC) and was activated in early October 2020. I can only tell you it's worth the wait! Shadow is just awesome! They have a mini lockdown in France and that's why I think no information from Paris DC comes through. Ladies and gentlemen, please be patient, believe me!

When infos for Paris ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Tanner99  @Craigeeni1986  @GarbageMan @Zombille  @enterHere PA information has been updated.   Due to the lockdown, our team was hesitant on overpromising activations which could lead to overloading the data center and power consumption and wanted to ensure that they provided the correct information.  We appreciate your understanding.

Feels like you’ve been stuck on June 30th - July 6th for weeks now 😭 mines the 16th 😂 come on baby 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello ... the activation status for Amsterdam has been removed as well now?

Sorry, confused.

With such extensive backorders for some data centers, can you change your operating times to play catch up? It is working four days a week instead of five has to be taking a toll. 

If you only work four days a week. While orders are always coming in for seven days a week, it will take a long time to catch up. Having the additional day to assemble the Shadow Blades would make a big difference. Setting up new accounts five days a week still leaves people the weekend off. 

Or offer flexible schedules. Have the regular folks that work the Monday to Thursday and the crew that's Friday through Sunday.  Then your setting up new accounts every day new orders are able to come through. 

However you split the hours up being able to set up more accounts during the week would be beneficial. Both your customers and your business operations. You'll have more active subscriptions each week. But activating new accounts on Fri, Sat, & Sun you will nearly have doubled the accounts activatable in a week.

Building up your customer base faster will help spread word of mouth and build Shadow's reputation.

I'm at the point where I would pay extra to activate my account today and pay a years subscription. More if able. 

Please consider bringing in more help for the data center off days.