A new chapter begins | April 30th, 2021

A new chapter begins | April 30th, 2021
Userlevel 6
Badge +4

A new chapter has officially begun for Shadow. 

We are elated to join HubiC and combine forces in the relentless pursuit of making high-end computing accessible to all. Today, Shadow’s ambitions and potential have never been so high, and we can’t wait to get started.  

We will now come together as one to discuss the future of Shadow and get back to you soon with more details.

Have any questions? Drop them below. We’ll be featuring an FAQ with the top questions from the community.

16 replies

Badge

I do have serious reservations with this acquisition, HubiC as far as I can tell just recently folded after incredibly poor customer support from them and their owner OVH (who I don’t trust already what with one of their datacentres getting charred) barely cared about them. What's to stop OVH from similarly commiting Shadow to a similar fate? I’m cautiously optimistic but this does raise a few red flags.

Userlevel 1

I wonder how this will impact the monthly fee. inAnyone who knows anything about virtual PC’s knows they cost a *lot* more than they are charging. Like, a lot a lot more.

Enlighten me with examples and a breakdown of cost please. I don’t know anything about this topic. 

My role in my company is maintaining, managing, and allocating our virtual PC’s. We pay anywhere between $88 and $300 a month per PC, depending on a handful of factors. All in all, it’s $200,000+ a month for all of them. Neither I nor any of my colleagues could understand how Shadow charged what they did for their service. When we heard they were millions in debt and had to declare bankruptcy, we all kind of shrugged and said “makes sense”. 

I’m genuinely interested to see how they change their business model. Everyone in my work group is watching for updates, too. 

I’m not sure what kind of plan “let’s get bought by a discontinued cloud storage provider” is, but I’m eager to find out, even as I prep a backup plan.

Well, that is good news on Friday 🙂 Well, I hope they keep the service alive and not just bought it for the IP

No one is. The backup is an Azure box using Parsec.

If Shadow goes under, I’m hoping they sell their remoting and management software. I would buy a license.

Hopefully they will be able to make shadow a profitable concern and keep it going.If it proves to be a money pit i suppose they will shut it down and use the infrastructure for other projects.Be very interesting to hear there plans.Its no secret that part of there proposals was to raise prices which is an obvious move but hopefully not too much to make it too expensive.There is a point where its better value to buy a new pc or console than use the shadow.

The fact that no one else has entered this space tells its own story.

Userlevel 1

I wonder how this will impact the monthly fee. Anyone who knows anything about virtual PC’s knows they cost a *lot* more than they are charging. Like, a lot a lot more.

I wonder how this will impact the monthly fee. Anyone who knows anything about virtual PC’s knows they cost a *lot* more than they are charging. Like, a lot a lot more.

Enlighten me with examples and a breakdown of cost please. I don’t know anything about this topic. 

Well for a PC with this power you pay in Azure 100$ a month. The difference is that this PC runs 24/7. When you shut it down you still have to pay for the storage. 

A comparable server at Strato costs 24Euro but runs 24/7 and has no graphic power, just the same memory, cpu and a little bit more HDD.

When they want to keep the price low they have to think about how they can use alle this power when you are outside the peak hours. For example as virtual desktops for companies. They need the desktops on working days, when we are off peak.

So maybe it is a good thing that a cloud platform as I understand has bought them.

Badge

I’m not sure what kind of plan “let’s get bought by a discontinued cloud storage provider” is, but I’m eager to find out, even as I prep a backup plan.

I didn’t think anyone was close! 

This is a good announcement. I think shadow is a great product.  In terms of the business model i suspect we leave it to others to consider. It’s basically a cheap gym model, you pay a small fee, and they hope most of the time people are only using it a small part of the time. 

Badge

Okay with all major serious acquisitions about the concerns of our future begins with one small folding business model engolfing the major debt of another unstable business model, as it is something we gotta steer with blind faith. Can we please talk about how HubiC logo andor font with shadows needs a makeover.. They just don't look good side by side. Though as a 10 month + user, I am truly happy for the company as it became an essential part of my life. I wish us best of luck on the next endeavour to satisfying our community with literally the only stable and affordable cloud computer. I just wish more companies like Google, Nvidia, Luna, ect got with the program and realistically see why shadow is great with giving us a personal cloud computer and not a unstable 1080p Redbox Netflix gaming compu...I mean stadia. 

So this article states the proposal from the guy that won the bid, didn't focus on gaming in the future? So what does that mean for us? 

So this article states the proposal from the guy that won the bid, didn't focus on gaming in the future? So what does that mean for us? 

My guess,
lack of development for the current service. And for them to eventually discontinue the service, focusing on is technology to use for other purposes in a business / education environment. 

A new chapter has officially begun for Shadow. 

We are elated to join HubiC and combine forces in the relentless pursuit of making high-end computing accessible to all. Today, Shadow’s ambitions and potential have never been so high, and we can’t wait to get started.  

We will now come together as one to discuss the future of Shadow and get back to you soon with more details.

Have any questions? Drop them below. We’ll be featuring an FAQ with the top questions from the community.

kind of wondering if shadow will be monthly unlike this pay per hour garbage lol . 

This is very bad news for all Blade customers, if you do not have a back up plan now, get one.  They will not continue this service.  My guess is what we have will remain for a little while but our service will degrade over time.  We will not be able to upgrade, as consumers of the Blade service are not what the buyer cares about. 

Blade was so stressed and in debt that they willingly sold the company to a buyer they knew would shut down the service.

It’s a shame, but it is what it is.