News

New Chapter: May Update

New Chapter: May Update
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey #TeamShadow

We’re a month deep into the new chapter of Shadow (already). As we continue to lay the groundwork, there’s been promising progress on all fronts. 

Here’s the latest you need to know. And in case you missed it, check out our week 1 recap here

Strengthening team with new talent
Since the start of the new chapter, we’ve been busy making adjustments to our team. This means shifting people to new roles, rethinking our processes and redefining what each department does. 

But what’s more exciting is that we’ll be welcoming a new wave of Shadowers to the team. By the end of 2021, we plan to bring on as many as 30 talented new hires to strengthen and deepen our current staff. Thanks to these reinforcements, we’ll be able to work harder, better, faster, stronger - you know like that one song? And who knows, maybe you’ll be joining us soon. Keep an eye out on our career page for upcoming openings. 

What’s up with the new offers?
Each week, we take one step closer towards establishing our new sole offer, called ‘Shadow’. Next step: you can expect emails about the price adjustment this month with information about your particular case. 

And we’re quite chuffed about the new ‘Shadow’ offer too. Now that we’re financially backed by Jezby Ventures, we don’t have the constant burden that comes with the #startuplife: endless fundraising rounds, lack of resources, pressured demands for hyper growth...you get the picture. Instead, we can focus first and foremost on building a great product and experience for you that will be sustainable for years to come. 

OVHcloud relationship
We also kicked off discussions with OVHcloud, who are now considered a sister company of ours. With their expertise lying in all things infrastructure and hardware, we put our heads together to understand how to best use our complementary forces to #MakeShadowGreatAgain. 

One thing’s for sure. With their help, we will be able to activate users at a faster rate, grow faster thanks to existing infrastructure and provide regular hardware upgrades, which was the founding vision for Shadow. 

Data migration
As we begin to shape the new Shadow offer, it’s important all users are placed within our planned infrastructure to ensure a consistent experience. With this in mind, we began a migration process last week of additional storage add-ons to our new servers, which were previously hosted with old partners.   

Testing new ways to connect with the community
Last week, we performed an initial test on Discord with their new “Stage” feature. We chatted about what’s been happening at Shadow lately and invited community members on the virtual stage to introduce themselves, ask questions, and share their experience with Shadow. With lots of positive feedback, we will be hopping back on the virtual stage soon. Keep your eyes peeled!

Social Media Activity 
As Shadow’s reboot takes shape, we’ve decided to pause regular social media posts for now. During this transitional phase, we will reduce the noise and share information that is only essential: updates about the company and product. This means in the meantime, we’re relying on you to keep churning out the memes, battlestations and wallpapers. 

This topic has been closed for comments

31 replies

Userlevel 4

Wow now you are censoring posts, unbelievable. 

Userlevel 4

I tried making a descriptive post of my frustration, and now it has to be "approved" by a admin. 

Userlevel 2

Wow it sounds all so cool but one question I don't know any game pc with hd of 256 GB at least they have 512 gb. And another thing I reported already the connecting is having more lag then before.  You are talking about improving but don't put dates on it so what can we expect. And last but not least where can I read the new contract before accepting it.  Oh yes seems organization is getting worse sending wrong mails is one of them.

Greetings hope to get my answers soon

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So let me get this straight: you're giving up on your ultra and infinity tiers (with 12gb+ RAM and RTX 2080 equivalent), instead offering only the boost tier but for the very convenient price of the highest tier? 

Userlevel 3

if I read this mail correctly then the price increases from 12.99Euro to 29.99Euro without any tech upgrade or more GB space, then still only have the 254GB SSD and i still have to pay 5.98euro for 512GB HDD on top.

that must not be right?
pliz more info !!!

Userlevel 3

So, can you give us more information about, what else will  change?

Will we get better Hardware soon?
Can’t you at least give everyone free upgrade(s) when it comes to storage?

the only “new” thing is, that it’s now at OVHCloud…

what does that even mean? Does it mean our Shadows will burn down, like it happened back in march at OVHCloud? (main reason: Wood Construction!!!!)

Besides that, 4:4:4 will also be a new feature.

Is that all? nothing else? does that justify a price increase of 100%?

Userlevel 1

Sorry, but you are now trying to let the community pay the price for the incompetence of the former owners. It is absolutely understandable that shadow can‘t be run with the current conditions. And it is also understandable that it needs a huge process to bring back the service on course.

BUT in my opinion it is not acceptable to raise the price at 100% within a few days. Within the last weeks you didn‘t bring much information to the community. At first I didn‘t even realise that the „old“ shadow ran out of money, tbh. But now you are even going to let the customers pay for your bill, without even completely talking about, why. I don‘t want to see your financial reports or bills. No, I simply want more information about your plans, the roadmap for Shadow and how you want to use use my money to „make Shadow great again“.

I am really disappointed about the current process… 

Userlevel 2

Hope you guys are budgeting for marketing - because you’re going to need it after your loyal customers jump ship. I understand the price point going up, but why is the service now worse? Nothing loads and everything is lagging. You’re digging yourself a hole you won’t be able to get out of. 

Userlevel 3

hi #shadowteam, I have spent the last 24 hours thinking a little more about your mail from yesterday, I fully understand that you will have to do something to get some more money in, so you can keep your service running.
personally I also do not mind and pay more, I waited patiently tell you would open up for shadow ultra and infinity, I wanted the power and was willing to pay for it as your service gives me access to my main form of entertainment, I talked about your service to my friends and family since you provided a great product at a great price.
I understand you're having a hard time right now with corona times and a swarm of new customers, so I understand that you need a bigger income to maintain your product.

but you must also see it from your customer's side, you remove shadow ultra and infinity, raise the price of shadow boosted by 120% without giving any power or space upgrade, without any info.
your customer feels a worse connection, and you choose to spend time on a lot of nice words about how the team is doing, and about how you only get bigger, but nothing about the product you are selling us...?

I'm not trying to sound angry, I'm just frustrated and im trying to see some logic in this....

Userlevel 1

Sure, most of your customers don’t have better options at the moment, so you can hike up the price  and worsen the product without making any attempt to soften the blow or dress it up. But trust me, as soon as anyone else enters this market I am out of here. :shrug::nail_care:

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi guys!

The future email they're talking about is supposed to give you three choices:

- accept

- refuse

- enjoy your subscription until its end, with the price you had.

Hubic (Shadow) doesn't explicitly talk about these choices, implying that you can only refuse or accept. By remaining vague, they hope to obtain cancels and / or force people to accept. Illegal.

In Europe, we are many customers mobilized against this practice and have taken steps to ensure that our rights are respected. Following this move, Hubic canceled their attempt and agreed to respect the annual contracts. But however, have returned another mail (your screen), continuing to remain unexplicit ...

Worst : For customers who deleted after the May email, Hubic considers that despite having lied to the customers, their cancel is irrevocable. This is also false and illegal...

Now we are in a new procedure :)

Userlevel 3

so if I pay 1 month at a time then I go 120% up in price from next month? because in their world is a new product from July onwards???
without any upgrades of any kind????

except in Europe????

would like to know how this is going to work without a lawyer saying it, want to hear it in normal talk.

Do these new changes have anything to do with my mouse and keyboard not working at all anymore? 

Do these new changes have anything to do with my mouse and keyboard not working at all anymore? 

Exactly this. My input issues started when the first e-mail about the new situation was sent, together with the update announcement. Still working with support trying to resolve it.

I hope the service as wel as the performance itself improves, if not I think a lot of loyal customers will find another solution.

Userlevel 3

I am curious how you guys have a line of new customers waiting months for your service yet somehow claim to be losing so much money that you now need to double our charges.

Does anyone know if the higher tier (ultra/infinity) have a spec reduction or a price increase?  If not they are getting far superior hardware access than the rest of us. Which means we are paying an equal amount for an unequal service level. 

This is such a shame and I was such a promoter of Shadow, sold it into two of my friends. However this exciting new offer says essentially pay extra (£10) for the same service or leave...sadly I feel I am being force to make the later choice 

Looks like someone in the comments here need to be the “voice of positivity”.

From my perspective i’m glad that shadow continues to operate, it’s the only cloud gaming solution which offers me a freedom of choice which games i wanna play by integrating and sync with the rest of my windows machines. No seperate buying of games.

But i need to point out a little critic point anyway: The formulation of the mail which told users to agree and promising “a better configuration” was very misleading. To fix this is my recommendation is to communicate technical details with your next updates or the technical upgrades which are planned to involve people into the process. :hugging:

Actually, I don't see the problem in the price raise, as it just returned to the former price, when Shadow started. When the price cut came, I wondered how that can be possible. But ok, I take that reduction. But obviously, this didn't work out very well, and now we're back to "normal" pricing. I'm glad, the service still exists.

Actually, I don't see the problem in the price raise, as it just returned to the former price, when Shadow started. When the price cut came, I wondered how that can be possible. But ok, I take that reduction. But obviously, this didn't work out very well, and now we're back to "normal" pricing. I'm glad, the service still exists.

This.

They shouldn’t have lowered the price in the first place, at least not so much. Therefore I’m glad, that Shadow keeps on. It‘s way better than the other cloud gaming services.

Nevertheless, I’m not happy with all decisions. The communication of all this feels indeed a bit cheesy, I don’t like OHV and that not only regarding that parts of their cloud turned into smoke.

And seriously, you don’t need to hire 30 new people, especially no new community managers. Save that money for new hardware. Let your techs write a two-liner once a month about what’s up and that’s it. 

So let me get this straight: you're giving up on your ultra and infinity tiers (with 12gb+ RAM and RTX 2080 equivalent), instead offering only the boost tier but for the very convenient price of the highest tier? 

I don’t blame this. They can’t follow the same road to bankruptcy.  Check azure vm machines and you will find they cost a small fortune.

Agreed. It’s a highly optimized gaming friendly vm with no completion right now. 

Hey Luc!

What is the Terminal mentioned in the updated TOU? A replacement for the Ghost?

So... Your 'new' spec is a GTX 1080?!? So I get my price more than doubled, and the graphics card goes *backwards* by two generations!?!

Adding a little positivity in a sea of (understandable) miasma-

I, for one, am very glad that this service, previously too cheap to be sustainable, will be continuing.  I had been getting increasingly worried that this awesome product that I rely on and no longer want to live without would suddenly have to shutter its doors because they didn’t charge enough to keep the lights on.

I just - I hate the nonsense overhead of keeping a gaming rig going - I have a family and I don’t have time for that anymore - and I love being able to access a gaming rig from any computer in my home.

Even at the new price point, this is still much cheaper than like-for-like alternatives (as in a vm you can put anything on) - e.g., last I checked, an azure box ran ~$45/mo and has the possibility of spiking with more use).

Userlevel 2

Moving into July, I hope we get some more concrete information about changes to expect in the future. Activations are obviously still a big question currently, but I am wondering what the changes in hardware will eventually be. The pandemic still brings into question what will be available, but it sounds like OVH already has hardware available that I wonder whether or not is identical to the previous partner or different products all together (whether they are better or worse is not the question I am asking).