Shadow is evolving: introducing our new offer

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey #TeamShadow,

On last night's Shadow News, we caught you up to speed on what's been going on at Shadow since our fresh start.

We also announced our new offer (and pricing plan) which we recap in this blog post.

This new price point will put Shadow on track to cover the costs of our investments, operations and development to grow a sustainable business - and more importantly, allow you to continue work and play through the cloud to your heart’s content.

Here's the tl;dr for the new offer:

• There will now only be one offer, called Shadow

• The new pricing plan will be 29.99 €/£/$ - month-to-month plan, cancel anytime

• The pricing change is effective next month (more info coming via email)

• There will be regular hardware upgrades and feature improvements to Shadow

• We will announce more details about hardware upgrades later this year

We strongly recommend you check out our blog post recapping this info and be sure to read over the FAQ at the bottom!

Have a nice weekend and see you in the clouds,

This topic has been closed for comments

146 replies

Userlevel 2

OK here are some economic lessons for the new shadow owners. Ofc the total income has to be > your total expenses. No question about that. You want to have a low bounded capital and at the same time low hardware costs. Sure you can elevate the price to a point at which half the users cancel their subscription and the other half is willing to pay the higher price. At the end, you have the same income and lower hardware costs. What you all don't see or underestimate is the fact that shadow already has a terrible reputation in almost all newspapers, pc / game magazines and so on. You lose trust, paying customers, interest, reputation, faith for your product. Why should I return to shadow when I know the customer service is horrible/non existence, the communication is a joke and there is no effort whatsoever to make things better? You are killing your own product / company if you treat your customers like garbage. The idea behind shadow is really good and I still like it. Be honest to yourself and ask yourself "would I stay as a customer after the price is doubled,the performance went down, the future is unknown, the customer service is bad and the information i get is 0?" 

Who does? Where are the links or names? Everything I have seen is either, "This is cool" or "Niche service." Who is part of this clear overgeneralization out of anger and no facts? Where is the terrible reputation? 

Userlevel 1

OK here are some economic lessons for the new shadow owners. Ofc the total income has to be > your total expenses. No question about that. You want to have a low bounded capital and at the same time low hardware costs. Sure you can elevate the price to a point at which half the users cancel their subscription and the other half is willing to pay the higher price. At the end, you have the same income and lower hardware costs. What you all don't see or underestimate is the fact that shadow already has a terrible reputation in almost all newspapers, pc / game magazines and so on. You lose trust, paying customers, interest, reputation, faith for your product. Why should I return to shadow when I know the customer service is horrible/non existence, the communication is a joke and there is no effort whatsoever to make things better? You are killing your own product / company if you treat your customers like garbage. The idea behind shadow is really good and I still like it. Be honest to yourself and ask yourself "would I stay as a customer after the price is doubled,the performance went down, the future is unknown, the customer service is bad and the information i get is 0?" 

Who does? Where are the links or names? Everything I have seen is either, "This is cool" or "Niche service." Who is part of this clear overgeneralization out of anger and no facts? Where is the terrible reputation? 

Out of anger and no facts ^^ so the customer service is great and all the people here with issues who don't get answers are lying. The transparency with the situation is awesome too. You know, just because you don't see criticism doesn't mean there is non. And it's not my job to provide you with links to articles. The fun thing about "proof" today is that even if I provide you with a link you will probably say "it's just one opinion". Sure iam disappointed in shadow but I am not angry. I had it for almost a year and the experience was great. I will play half life alyx a 5th time before i leave shadow. But that does not change what I said in my first post. 

Userlevel 2

What you all don't see or underestimate is the fact that shadow already has a terrible reputation in almost all newspapers, pc / game magazines and so on. You lose trust, paying customers, interest, reputation, faith for your product. Why should I return to shadow when I know the customer service is horrible/non existence, the communication is a joke and there is no effort whatsoever to make things better? You are killing your own product / company if you treat your customers like garbage. The idea behind shadow is really good and I still like it. Be honest to yourself and ask yourself "would I stay as a customer after the price is doubled,the performance went down, the future is unknown, the customer service is bad and the information i get is 0?" 

Out of anger and no facts ^^ so the customer service is great and all the people here with issues who don't get answers are lying. The transparency with the situation is awesome too. You know, just because you don't see criticism doesn't mean there is non. And it's not my job to provide you with links to articles. The fun thing about "proof" today is that even if I provide you with a link you will probably say "it's just one opinion". Sure iam disappointed in shadow but I am not angry. I had it for almost a year and the experience was great. I will play half life alyx a 5th time before i leave shadow. But that does not change what I said in my first post. 

See the thing is I never denied that Shadow was having issues. I'm not thick enough to ignore hundreds of posts about communication breakdowns, clear problems before the bankruptcy declaration, or inconsistent customer service (I have emails from support that are painful at best), but shooting from the hip and a refusal to show anything about "publication" reviews and exposés shows that it is probably a personal/consumer issue. Now that could be part of a bigger issue, yet the question was who else was picking up on the issues and providing it to a wider audience? By overgeneralizing that the media thinks the same when they do not does not help in checking for widespread issue.

On the other hand, I know for one if someone asked me for links of something I would happily oblige if I was wrong or right. Why? Because it does no harm to me nor do I care if someone shouts opinion since that was not the question in the first place. 

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/shadow-by-blade 2020

https://www.cloudwards.net/shadow-review/2021

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/shadow-game-streaming-price-availability-features/ 2021

https://www.reviewgeek.com/13955/shadow-game-streaming-review-powerful-niche-service-but-skip-the-hardware/ 2019

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/shadow-game-streaming-offers-a-powerful-cloud-pc-b/1100-6465346/ 2019

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

What you all don't see or underestimate is the fact that shadow already has a terrible reputation in almost all newspapers, pc / game magazines and so on.

And it's not my job to provide you with links to articles. The fun thing about "proof" today is that even if I provide you with a link you will probably say "it's just one opinion".

------------------------

@ElBeutelYou don’t get to have it both ways. Before making sweeping generalizations in a public forum, be prepared to back them up. If you can’t, kindly don’t post.

Many of us are saddened by the current situation...sprinkling on some misinformation doesn’t help.

Listen folks, I love shadow. But the way you are doing this seems to be really insulting to be honest. You are talking about this like its an advantage and improvement for the customers, while its not. Also announcing it like a a month before doubling the prices is  scary. And Please specify what Hardware improvements were getting. Transparency is definitely missing!

Im staying with Shadow, but I get it why people are leaving. I hope for the best.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Loved having my Shadow for nearly three years now, but with the sudden increase of my Ultra + 1 TB drive to £48 a month, I've decided this could be my last month. I've managed to order a Xbox Series X which will fulfill my needs as a casual gamer.

I will keep my eye on how Shadow develops and maybe one day return once the company decides to let everyone know what's happening with future upgrades etc.

I will be selling my Ghost once I've cancelled my subscription. 

Userlevel 1

I am writing to report a robbery (or soon to be robbed). Having waited for 2 years for an upgrade, I am now expected to pay double for an outdated system!

Having recently built a new gaming system I was planning on keeping Shadow for my younger son but not for £30.00 a month!

Anyone wanting to purchase a Ghost, let me know😜.

Time to follow the link to cancel!! 

Hello Uisavinit,

I would like to buy your ghost. Do you live in the US?

Regards,

Userlevel 1

What you all don't see or underestimate is the fact that shadow already has a terrible reputation in almost all newspapers, pc / game magazines and so on.

And it's not my job to provide you with links to articles. The fun thing about "proof" today is that even if I provide you with a link you will probably say "it's just one opinion".

------------------------

@ElBeutelYou don’t get to have it both ways. Before making sweeping generalizations in a public forum, be prepared to back them up. If you can’t, kindly don’t post.

Many of us are saddened by the current situation...sprinkling on some misinformation doesn’t help.

I dont agree with you but I could have been more specific. From the news i get, shadow has a bad reputation. Here are some of the articles. I cant post them all because here in germany for some articles you have to pay.

https://www.drwindows.de/news/cloud-gaming-shadow-verdoppelt-die-preise-neukunden-muessen-zehn-monate-warten

https://addictedtocode.de/technik-hardware/meine-erfahrung-mit-shadow-cloud-gaming/

https://gizmodo.com/cloud-gaming-platform-shadow-has-filed-for-bankruptcy-1846441660

https://www.derstandard.de/story/2000124846450/shadow-cloudgaming-anbieter-blade-ist-insolvent-weil-er-zu-erfolgreich

To sum this up, the waiting time was a huge point, the lack of information and now the price. And its not only about the money but about to get lose of customers to reduce the hardware usage. You live in the u.s. and maybe you dont get much news about the situation in europe. Just because you dont see problems it doesnt mean there are non.   

30$ ???!!!! Are you out of your freaking mind ? Waited 6 Months and now you tell me this? What a huge disappointment. I AM CANCELING if that’s what you really want. And let’s be honest, what were you expecting? 

I got mine setup late last year. During the first couple of months there were issues that included poor connectivity and occasional crashing, and these seemed to have been fixed by subsequent updates. Any ongoing latency issues that I have now seem to be due to my connection or isp. I can play games that I either couldn’t before or could but not without poor performance. So I’m happy with shadow as a service, 5 stars.

But doubling the monthly price like this, ouch. Although I recently went and got a new computer (one of the uses I have for shadow can’t afford latency issues) I still plan on keeping my subscription. While I’m sure that things are going to continue to be rocky for this company and a number of customers who have been exceptionally patient, I believe in what shadow is doing and hope that it does well in the long run. And even if I didn’t, the deal they currently offer is still better for me than what their competitors offer. I just wish that they had gone about it differently. Like, I don’t know, phasing in the price increase? Finding some way to help make up with those who feel ripped off?

I get it, shadow got pushed into a corner from whatever combination of mistakes and ongoing global circumstances outside of their control and now they have to claw their way back. I’m not going to shill for them though, if it goes downhill from here then I’ll reconsider my subscription. Cloud computing is only going to become increasingly prevalent so if not shadow, then someone else will take up the reigns. I would rather it not be Amazon or Microsoft.

£30x12x3 (~£1000) is more than the cost of a decent gaming PC every 3 years.

You're supposed to benefit from economies of scale and beat that ^ calculus.

Either you're bad at acquiring hardware or you're fleecing your loyal subscribers.

Regardless, this forces me to cancel my preorder, which is a real shame.

Loved having my Shadow for nearly three years now, but with the sudden increase of my Ultra + 1 TB drive to £48 a month, I've decided this could be my last month. I've managed to order a Xbox Series X which will fulfill my needs as a casual gamer.

I will keep my eye on how Shadow develops and maybe one day return once the company decides to let everyone know what's happening with future upgrades etc.

I will be selling my Ghost once I've cancelled my subscription. 

You won't have to keep your eye on Shadow for very long.... They won't be around. They are going down the exact same path that Liquid Sky did. Terrible customer service, outrageous price increases, with no increase in service quality. All the while telling us how excited they are about it, and that it's evolving. I give em 18 months. 

I am sure you know what you are doing…….!

But forcing your large existing customer base down one ‘high cost, no gain’ service avenue is, in my opinion, absolutely awful marketing and makes no sense to anyone who has been on board, awaiting upgrades and happy to pay OR those who feel that the ‘Boost’ package was fairly priced and a good foot in the door to ownership based cloud gaming. 

In addition, the interest gained from successful previous marketing and the spread of the word by those already with you, seems to be completely overlooked. Whilst it would be silly to put a number against the loss impact to new customers due to this high cost of entry (please, stop comparing that monthly cost to the costs of a rig, that is yesterdays news and we all know it) - I would not be at all shocked to see it roll well past your ‘maintaining’ model of around 50% retention - as a market analyst I can only assume this is a move to strip your numbers down?

Let’s get this clear….

The service is flawed at times and is not in anyway ‘bulletproof’ enough to warrant a premium price tag like this. I have been a user for a number of years now and was waiting on possible upgrading since 2019. Whilst i have personally been happy with my level of service overall, i am more than well aware of problems across the community. 

For a company who prides itself on it’s ‘cool best friends’ approach to it’s great community…. it’s even more of a sting. Words, actions...

With a growing demand in the cloud gaming space you now may not have the very best punch to compete with ‘the big boys’ such as Google, Apple and the like, heck even Geforce themselves.

Shadows strength came from it’s active and engaged user base, it’s flexibility and it’s viable entry point.

The jury is out whether one or all will survive of course, but my confidence in Shadow doing so has taken a huge downturn since this buyout and this business move. 

A real shame.

I will enjoy my remaining days with you but ultimately will be moving on …. what a sad day for what could have been a true revolution.

The problem I have with the price increase is the fact that I can get a 30 series gaming laptop on finance for £30 - £40 a month. Shadow is based on a 1080 and although it is good to be able to access your PC on multiple devices, is the price jump worth this, especially when there will always be that slight lag messing up competitive play?  I was in for £15 a month, now I'm really not sure!

I’m just going to add my voice to the chorus here: this is a stupid move. Your offering was clearly better than Google Stadia or Amazon Luna, and Nvidia’s streaming option required having a computer to begin with. The math isn’t adding up anymore. I can get a comparable computer on the market for around what I would get if I paid for your service for 2-3 years, but with actual storage space and no questions about network performance problems. I really didn’t want to end up just supporting the big tech firms because I really liked your guys’ business model, but now you’re likely going to bleed out a large amount of customers. In short, you guys went from being the Spotify for games to the Tidal of games, and now the big tech companies are gonna eat your lunch. If you have cost problems expanding into new markets you should have looked at reducing those and focusing on profitable markets rather than forcing your existing subscriber base to subsidize your expansion costs. A lot of dumb decisions probably led to this one, but this one will probably be the one that puts you under.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if maybe the recent acquisition and the price change actually WAS the money behind a large tech firm trying to take these guys down. I've certainly seen worse things 

Userlevel 2

.…

This is a tough choice to make. I am a founding member of GFN and I get to pay 5$/month for life as long as I don't discontinue the service. GFN's video cards are superior and have ray tracing. To get an ideea Cyberpunk on ultra settings with ray tracing at 1080p runs at 60 FPS. They are using NVIDIA GRID RTX T10-8, it's performance is comparable to a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. On the other hand Shadow is 30$ + storage, inferior video card with no ray tracing. They do offer an entirely different service and it's not fair to compare it to GFN. I haven't been activated yet, it should have been 31 of May before the new delay. They were nice enough give me a free month because of the delay so technically when I get activated I have 2 months to decide if I will continue. I do love the ideea of having my own PC in the cloud but it's 6 times more expensive than GFN with worse performance...

They deleted my account

Be careful how you deal with the price change. I disputed with PayPal the charge for the most recent month because I felt like it was a bait and switch. I outlined my case to PayPal in detail and the short notice on the price increase along with their policy to make you pay and wait if you wanted an upgrade to infinite which was the whole reason I signed up in the first place.  

Shadow didn’t engage in the dispute resolution process at all with PayPal and PayPal resolved in my favour.  However Shadow put my account on hold and asked that I pay the disputed amount and a dispute fee within 5 days to have it reinstated. I agreed to do so at least so I can get my files as I was about to pay I received an email from the support desk that I can’t pay now and that they had already deleted my account i.e. everything is gone completely. In fact they deleted my account as soon as PayPal ruled against them without any recourse or notice.  

You can argue whether I was wrong to make the dispute and I am in two minds now. But be really careful and make sure you back up your files and if this has happened to you please contact PayPal to let them know. I wouldn’t come back now for anything. 

Userlevel 1

Everyone here is under the misapprehension that Shadow wants to keep its customers. The company that purchased Shadow is on record saying they don’t plan on keeping this service around long term. Your cries of anger, your threats, your gnashing of teeth...it’s all falling on deaf ears. 

Badge

wow this ceo ballsy. not even my crooked cable company would bump up my rate by 150% with little notice… 

Userlevel 2

wow this ceo ballsy. not even my crooked cable company would bump up my rate by 150% with little notice… 

That is a steep price increase and I am not happy about it but there are other companies that offer this type of service for the same price so this must be the real market price.

I'm going to just leave this here…

If you're thinking why this is happening to shadow, just check out the future of shadow as one more tier in OVH cloud gaming servers..

This was always Octave Klaba's intention. He may have bought shadow through other means, but do not be mistaken..

Shadow did something really right or really wrong. And after that "Tech Mogul" sank his shark teeth in.

Kindly translate the link to English. This is the portuguese Web page.

https://www.ovhcloud.com/pt/bare-metal/prices/

https://www.ovhcloud.com/en/bare-metal/prices/

I'm not paying that price Luc.. no way!!