Do you struggle using shadow on 2.4 GHz WIFI in a densely populated area because your PC does not support 5Ghz? If the answer is yes this post is for you!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi everyone, throughout this post i will try to explain the pros and cons of 2.4Ghz wifi and what you can do to try and mitigate the issues as well as how 5Ghz can solve many of those problems.

• 2.4Ghz and its limitations

So the biggest issue with 2.4Ghz wifi signal is that within a densely populated area such as an apartment building the WIFI signals from everyone’s independent routers will overlap, causing interference which in turn will cause ping spikes and packet loss for you when using shadow.

So if you see a lot of networks from your laptop this might be your issue. look at the next image for an example of overlapping networks that will cause issues!

2.4Ghz network overlaps

• What can you do?

You can see on the image that there is no free channel available, no matter the channel you pick, you will always overlap with other networks.

Now your situation may be different, maybe you have a couple of channels you can see are free and wont overlap with any other strong signals, and so changing to those channels (on your routers configuration page) may solve your problems.

• What can 5Ghz do for you?

5Ghz solved this overlap problem by combining a lower signal range with a greater number of channels it is now almost impossible to have interference when using a 5Ghz signal.

So first things first you should make sure your router is capable of broadcasting a 5Ghz signal and my personal recomendation is for you to split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz ssid’s so you can have full control over which one you are connecting to.

• What if your laptop/PC is not capable of connecting (or “seeing”) 5Ghz networks?

The problem is that older laptops and PCs might not have wifi card capable of connecting to a 5Ghz signal.

This means you will have to either buy a new PC or a new adapter… And no one wants to buy things.

Fear not, there might be a solution for you that doesn’t even involve getting up from your chair!

Do you have a phone capable of connecting to a 5Ghz signal?

If yes you can simply plug your phone into your PC via USB and make a usb hotspot, your phone will now act as an external 5Ghz card for your PC! this might add something like 5ms latency but it is worth a shot if you are struggling!

Make sure you disconnect from the 2.4Ghz signal on your PC and that your phone is connected to the 5Ghz signal (i usually also turn off mobile data just in case)

Let me know in the comments if this has helped you have a more stable stream.

• This 5Ghz signal sounds great! so are there any downsides?

Yes there are downsides.

when compared to 2.4Ghz, this new frequency is not capable of beeing reliable over long distances or through (thicc) walls, in this regard 2.4Ghz is better.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!