How to make shadow profitable

• 14 March 2021
  • 6 replies

I have read about A New Beginning in Sight for Shadow and I have learned that the service may go extinct if no new investor is found.

Here is my ideeas to make the service profitable since there are too manny unlimited for the current price range for contract and monthly.

1. Increase the price of monthly and annually by 5 euros and the ultimate plan etc accordingly .

2.Limit inactivity vm auto-shutdown to 10 minutes.

3.Cut connection speed from 1Gbs to 100 Mbps that is way enough for everyone and thus less bw costs.

4. Max playtime per day of 8 hours, who plays more than that? Heavy gamers can afford a gaming pc.

5.More strict enforcement of miners and other activities outside of the gaming range which may negatively affect gaming experience of others or too high load or heat on the server nodes  - they can go to paperspace for that.

6.Ban vpns accessing the service, add a ban on non supporting countries from way too afar the geographic range as if someone from India using Paris the bandwidth cost will be higher.

7.Limit the usage of the internet of each machine to 5tb per month for both upload and download as I seem people even using it as seed box beside graphic editing and gaming.

8.Stop wasting money on developing app for acces to the service to things like Rasberry Pi that's nonsense.

9. Increase each storage plan price by 2 euros. 

So yeah save shadow including the long activation times because having a full windows machine for cheap is what we need not useless gimmicks or unlimited abuse of service as I even saw users using it 24/7.

6 replies

I agree with all points to 100%!

Sounds weird, but: I would be happy to pay more for my subscription if at least I can be sure it will have a future then! At the moment I pay 15,98 EUR for Boost + extra 256GB SSD. In the pricing model proposed above, this would be 22,98 EUR. That’s absolutely okay! Tell me where else I can get a (physical) PC with similar specs for even this price per month?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Sounds weird, but: I would be happy to pay more for my subscription if at least I can be sure it will have a future then! At the moment I pay 15,98 EUR for Boost + extra 256GB SSD. In the pricing model proposed above, this would be 22,98 EUR. That’s absolutely okay! Tell me where else I can get a (physical) PC with similar specs for even this price per month?

Financing an already better gaming pc than Shadow for e.g. 900€ over 2 years, are 37,50€ per month and in contrast to Shadow, the PC belongs to me afterward and has a residual value. 

For what Boost offers, it makes no sense NOT to buy a PC. Just because the poor CPU in many games limits the performance or the meager 12Gb ram..not to mention the measly hard drive space.

On top, you have better performance (fps), less lag, better image quality.

You’re welcome.

Financing an already better gaming pc than Shadow for e.g. 900€ over 2 years, are 37,50€ per month and in contrast to Shadow, the PC belongs to me afterward and has a residual value. 

For what Boost offers, it makes no sense NOT to buy a PC. Just because the poor CPU in many games limits the performance or the meager 12Gb ram..not to mention the measly hard drive space.

On top, you have better performance (fps), less lag, better image quality.

You’re welcome.

Of course you are right, but we did not put the mobility factor into the calculation. For the 900 Bucks, I might get a better PC, but also I get a big, immobile, power-consuming box. Currently I am using Shadow on Laptop, some 10 year old refurbished USFF-PCs, at PC monitor, TV in guest room, TV in living room and that’s what Shadow is about and that is something I never want to miss again.

Hey!  I super appreciate this thread but the Feature Request category is specifically for Shadow hardware/technology so I’ve moved this over to Shadow 101 :) Thank you for your support!

Userlevel 2
Badge

the suggestions are good but we don’t really know how much they are losing each month and at what point a profit is likely we also don’t know the min revenue they need each month.However it was said that they owe 3.2mill to the server people .A simple solution would be to ask each of the 70000 users to voluntarily donate £50 as a one off if everyone did that the debt would be clear of course not everyone will be able to and some will be able to give a bit more.Probably this is too simplistic and they owe much more in reality.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

the suggestions are good but we don’t really know how much they are losing each month and at what point a profit is likely we also don’t know the min revenue they need each month.However it was said that they owe 3.2mill to the server people .A simple solution would be to ask each of the 70000 users to voluntarily donate £50 as a one off if everyone did that the debt would be clear of course not everyone will be able to and some will be able to give a bit more.Probably this is too simplistic and they owe much more in reality.

This will not help at all.