My Shadow Boost SSD drive got replaced with SATA drives. (harddrives.)

• 9 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

EDIT: I should have put “HDD Drives” in the thread title instead of SATA, sorry for the confusion this may cause.  

Greetings,

I didn’t know where to bring this topic to, or if anyone had run into this issue yet, but, for long-time users of Shadow, the general idea and selling point was that our Shadow’s had a main 265gb SSD for our C drive, while additional drives would be HDD harddrives.

I get there is a transition still occurring for other customers to get them all on the new Datacenters, but is the absence of the SSD drives a temporary thing? 

Ever since they moved me out of the old New York datacenter to the new Datacenter, I've noticed a considerable drop in load times on the main C drive, which is what lead me to looking into this.

Again, is this the new norm for Shadow? Is this an accident and unintentional?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Neoyoshi 

Due to the way virtualization is handled by windows it mis-identifies the hardware for the HDD. Don’t worry your primary drive is still a SSD speed fed from a SAN it's just that windows shows different hardware. 

Hi @Neoyoshi 

Due to the way virtualization is handled by windows it mis-identifies the hardware for the HDD. Don’t worry your primary drive is still a SSD speed fed from a SAN it's just that windows shows different hardware. 

I figured out the same. Windows is showing me both as HDD, no matter where I look for it and yea I know how all this works with VMs and virtual drives.

So I downloaded CrystalDisk to be sure. Both the C Drive (Which should be an SSD or better explained an HDD with SSD Performance) and the D Drive (Which should be an HDD) having the same performance (Read + Write MB/s)

Is this an accident or just wrong informations on your Homepage / Account Panel and both are the same SSD (HDD with SSD Performance). Or why both hard drives perform the same?

‘Cuz I want to know what is what so I can put my programs on the more “faster” disk.

On the FAQ, Home and Account-Panel page it only says you can add up to 2 GB Storage (no info if ssd/hdd)
On the Specs page it says 256 GB SSD + additional HDD Storage

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@Kamikaze 

The beauty of SAN’s (Storage Area Network) is that with enough disks and intelligent mapping the speed limits are more artificial in nature. No one client is allowed to dominate the connection to the SAN so you will find that the speed is rather consistent across both your c drive and your d drive. HOWEVER where the diffrence in SAN’s underlying drives begins to show its metal is in how many random IO per second operations they can handle. SSD are just that much faster so in theory under extreme load the C drive will stay snappy whereas the D drive will be subject to slower IO per second. Keep in mind no one VM can saturate a SAN as they handle a very large amount of virtual machines per pod without issue. Also with De duplication and ram loading of common files SAN’s only get more optimized over time with their expected workloads. I’m glad you cant tell the difference between the two drives as that means the magic behind the curtain is doing its job well.

Cheers - Gelgoog

P.S: I don't work for shadow I’m just a volunteer that loves to learn about cloud tech!