Shadow 101: Don't limit yourself to Gaming

• 7 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

no really.
Just as The Title reads.

Shadow replaced my HP Elite G5 w/ Radeon 6 used for DJ’ing and Video Production.
:v_tone4:

5 replies

I use It to develop software and learn new technology's in the space of Programming just missing docker. xD But Otherwise Shadow is a full desktop replacement for me. 

I use It to develop software and learn new technology's in the space of Programming just missing docker. xD But Otherwise Shadow is a full desktop replacement for me. 

Thanks, I was wondering about docker.  However, I am fine without any WSL2 VM support.  For all purposes, I treat this as a full windows desktop replacement.

$480 a year is a great deal.   I will probably need 2-4tb later on to process old data.

When your done with a video and have the software finalize your video, which can take a while, are you able to log off Shadow and will it continue to work away?  Or does Shadow stop work and shutdown?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

When your done with a video and have the software finalize your video, which can take a while, are you able to log off Shadow and will it continue to work away?  Or does Shadow stop work and shutdown?

Shadow has a 30 minute time-out, I think.

I watched a movie on TV and surfed the web on Shadow until it was finished yesterday.

I have, however, done a quick local machine reboot and quickly re-entered Shadow and it was where I left off.

In Theory, I believe they are working on a Scenario where Shadow understands we are working and not just "idle".

Shadow has an Auto-Shutdown option, but, Resources will eventually be needed and that's the grey area for now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It’s no longer 30 minutes, but dynamic based on current and projected datacenter load. If you’re using it to render, just watch some Youtube or hang out on Discord for a while while it does its stuff depending on how large your project is. Also leveraging CUDA can help speed up those render times so you don’t have to stay active as long babysitting it.