Question

shadow boost

so not only do you guys downgrade my shadow subscription then make ultra and infinite unavailable in the US but yall are also increasing the price to $30 how is that in the least bit fair? when will the other two upgrades be available in the US? if not soon I’ll probably just cancel my subscription

This topic has been closed for comments

23 replies

Userlevel 1

So let me get this straight... You (shadow) had a unique product and a lot of people were interested and willing to pay even if they had to wait. How in the name of God were you able to drive this concept against the wall? Maybe with your non existence customer service? Or the total lack of information and empty phrases? Now shadow is under a new owner and the first thing he does is to increase the price even for people with a 12 month subscription (what is illegal in a few countries btw). Fantastic idea. Not only will almost every new subscriber cancel his/her order but also long time users will jump the ship. If this new plan is intentional for loosing customers or not. It is a shame what happens here. 

What kind of email is that, sorry your service is getting downgraded and then at the very end it says oh btw your price is doubling in a month.

Userlevel 1

The forums are not a place to publicly cry about things.

It’s literally the exact place you’d want to publicly discuss the actions a company was making.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Not only was I forced from ultra to boost and lost all ray tracing, now I got an email that come June it's just shadow, not boost anymore and the price is being doubled. Wonderful business management, AWESOME!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge

You guys do realize that they are doing this on purpose so people cancel their subscriptions.   The new company wants to revamp shadow and charge much higher rates.  They will charge much more then $30 by next year.  

this is what happens when you a company gets sold.  I will be canceling as well.  GeForce Now, Stadia and Game Pass is way to go. 

At $15/m shadow was under priced and steal :P

While I hate paying 2x the amount for the service it still would take me about 3yr to buy an similar spec pc...stil a good deal at least for me :)

Userlevel 1

At $15/m shadow was under priced and steal :P

While I hate paying 2x the amount for the service it still would take me about 3yr to buy an similar spec pc...stil a good deal at least for me :)

I agree! $15 was a very good deal for my own gaming PC that I can access on my laptop and cell phone and play AAA games in good quality.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Read the blog post; the new offering is different than Boost.

https://shadow.tech/blog/teamshadow/introducing-our-new-offer

How is it different (other than price)? They’ve been promising new hardware upgrades for ages that haven’t materialised, and they’ve been adding new features to the app.

They are completely vague about what you are getting for the new price, the only certainty is that you’ll have exactly the same setup for £15 more from June 25th.

They are hoping people cancel and the ones that stay make up for the cancellations. They therefore reduce the hit on their run Opex, whilst continuing with some income.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Lilacspooge indeed no difference in the short term, but the higher price point makes it more realistically possible to bring faster upgrades. AFAIK there was never a commitment on any upgrades for Boost.

I do agree though, the new price point is too much to bear in the short term, and I’ve bailed out for now.

Badge

i just got an email letting me know that i will be paying 29.99 next month. it also said that my new boost will have better equipment but they will let me know when that will happen with no date! really? youre making me pay the new price next month but cant tell me when i get the upgrade nor what the upgrade will be???????????????!!!!!!!!! that is not fair! if you waNT MoRe MoNeY! THEN GIVE ME MY NEW UPGRADE! anybody know any dertail on this subject?

I decided to pick up shadow over a year ago when they finally had cut their price to around $12 a month. Myself and many other people I game with got it because of the price. It was a cheap and easy way for us to run instances of a game. Now you are all doubling the price. I and some of my friends are cancelling our subs specifically because of your price increase. Thought you all had an awesome service. I didn’t mind being on the older hardware. I don’t need amazing hardware to run an older game. Forcing us all into one solution was a bad choice. Thought you all should know why you are going to be losing a lot of customers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Probably correct on wanting people to leave, that's why the price is exactly double. Even if half the people leave they make the same amount of money and way less strain on their hardware

Sorry about to burst some of people, calling price is cheap. If you have to do a monthly payment for the price of Ultimate back in the day, then every years you would pay about 400 a year. 250 for ultra. 120 for boost. Now the problem is if you raise the price to 29.99, then im paying 300 per year for boost configuration. Which is over price. The only reason 120 make sense, is because of old spec. Computer which i just use rarely for casual gaming and on the go gaming. With 300 per years i dont need to pay this price. Becauwe now it is not the same. If a gaming laptop on sell with rtx 2060 or even rtx 3060 sell for 700, off brand. That laptop last about 5 years. Which mean i only pay 140 per years. Plus upgrade my internet to 1 gigs for about 5 10 dollars more of my internet speed and i can do the same thing you guy are doing. But with better hardware. So please dont give me the bull crap or 29.99, but keep old spec. If you think to even increase to 2060 it ks still over price. Because the hardware will only get cheaper year over year. By allowing people to choose package, people who like me who only need not the high end graphic make sense to subscribe and for those whose really need high end to pay premium to get latest make sense. If you take that away, people who only cansual gaming cannot justify your price. When they can set up with better hardware and lower lag.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I honestly think they want people to unsubscribe. That's the reason for doubling the price. Even if half the people close their account, with it being twice as much they still make the same money and half the strain on their hardware.  Even seems like a sneak attack they just tried on me. I just got on for the first time in a while because I been really busy. I was greeted with a message that before my next billing cycle (which is only a week away) I had to login and accept the price increase or my shadow will be terminated. Come on a week? So if I was on vacation or to busy to play this week, the next time I login I won't have a subscription anymore.? Ughh

Userlevel 1

I agree. The price increase for the same old outdated hardware is completely and totally unacceptable.

Maybe I’m the only one who got this, I agree with doubling the price is awful, but I feel they should’ve at the least maybe upgraded the specs of our virtual machines, instead of leaving it as is, I.E upgrade Graphics and CPU, but again, this is probably just something only I’ve thought.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My understanding from the Twitch update video is that Ultra and Infinite will not be available moving forward. 

The forums are not a place to publicly cry about things.

Userlevel 1

Still a good deal in my opinion, I also have Stadia, Geforce now and gamepass but they don't come close to Shadow's versatility and the possibility to play pretty much any game as well as mods.

Badge

Still a good deal in my opinion, I also have Stadia, Geforce now and gamepass but they don't come close to Shadow's versatility and the possibility to play pretty much any game as well as mods.

I’m not sure that you’ve considered the main draw of Shadow wasn’t that it was just a cloud gaming service. It’s a full PC system. However, now that prices are increasing and those of us in the US are only able to get the Boost version, for most of us that had the top tier it’s now going to directly compete with other cloud gaming services rather than offer a solid PC system to use for more than gaming. When you look at it that way, it most certainly is not worth the $30/month price tag. Thus the mass exodus you’re seeing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Read the blog post; the new offering is different than Boost.

https://shadow.tech/blog/teamshadow/introducing-our-new-offer

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Lilacspoogeindeed no difference in the short term, but the higher price point makes it more realistically possible to bring faster upgrades. AFAIK there was never a commitment on any upgrades for Boost.

I do agree though, the new price point is too much to bear in the short term, and I’ve bailed out for now.

If that’s the case then I take it back. But I would still like to see something. As others have said a staggered price model or some additional storage would mitigate the impact for most.

As I said, it looks like they want us to leave.

Greetings, when are you going to start collecting the 30 dollars?