Tips for cleaning your Shadow's Storage

• 30 April 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
  • Luro.io Founder (shadow.tips)
  • 16 replies

Up until recently, Shadow only offered 256GB of Storage. However, you are now able to purchase more storage at an additional monthly cost. However, if you do not want to pay for extra storage, or still want to make sure you are making the most of available space on your Shadow, here are some quick tips on freeing up some space :).

Tip 1 - Windows Updates

This is a HUGE culprit when it comes to storage on pretty much any Windows 10 machine. When Windows 10 Updates, it creates a Windows.Old folder. This folder can have anywhere from 10-30GB (or more) of data in it. For Shadow in particular, you may need to update Windows the day it is set up, or soon after since it is running an older version. After the update, you may notice your free storage space drop a decent amount. Here is how you can delete that Windows.Old folder and other temp files to free up some storage space.

How to delete old Windows Updates and other temp files

1. Go to the Windows Search function, type in "Cleanup", and click on "Disk Cleanup"
    Disk Cleanup
  2. Click "Clean up System Files" on the new window (if you ran as Admin, you may be able to skip this step).
    2019-10-23_8-36-06
  3. Check the boxes next to what you would like to delete. I recommend "Windows Update Cleanup" and "BranchCache" if they are of significant size.
    diskcleanupwindowsupdate1
    diskcleanupwindowsupdate2
  4. Press OK, and free up some disk space!

Tip 2 - Downloads Folder

Your downloads folder can fill up rather quickly. Especially if you are constantly downloading game installers and other programs. Every once in awhile, head to your Downloads folder and delete downloaded items you do not need anymore. May not be a lot, but it could help clear up those few GB of data you need!

Tip 3 - Use 3rd party storage or an external Hard Drive

There are a bunch of cloud storage options you can use with your Shadow. OneDrive, Amazon S3, Google Drive, etc. Take a look and find one that works best for you! Another option is to use an External Hard Drive. Works great if your internet upload/download speed is good enough. I would only advise using this for pictures/videos, and not gaming, as it may hinder load times.

If you have any additional storage cleaning tips, feel free to respond to this post. The more tips we have to share with the community, the better :P!

These tips were originally posted on my blog at https://shadow.tips/shadow-tips-3/.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

This is nice! Thank you!

Userlevel 3

This is nice! Thank you!

No problem! I try my best for the community :).

Badge

What a great and useful guide.

Badge

Super helpful thank you!

Thanks, and this doesn’t just apply to shadow - this is usefull for any PC

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have a 2TB external hard drive that I am deliberately not connecting to Shadow, merely because I am afraid of the loss of bandwidth.

But how does that work exactly, because I know using the external hard drive will result in an upload spike? Does it upload everything(2TB)? Does it upload a list and when I use a file it uploads that? What happens?

#Daretoask

Badge +1

Hi, I currently have the default Shadow Boost storage amount and I’ve been having trouble using Disk Cleanup to remove ~128 MB consisting of the Windows Update Cleanup and Windows Defender Antivirus categories. I appear to be using Disk Cleanup as Admin, and even try restarting the Shadow directly after the cleanup operation (as the Windows Update Cleanup category description suggests) and I just can’t seem to regain that space. It’s not a huge deal and I can live with that little space being taken up (considering how big today’s games are) but as the OP reads, I want to make the most of the space I have. Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I have a 2TB external hard drive that I am deliberately not connecting to Shadow, merely because I am afraid of the loss of bandwidth.

But how does that work exactly, because I know using the external hard drive will result in an upload spike? Does it upload everything(2TB)? Does it upload a list and when I use a file it uploads that? What happens?

#Daretoask

I haven’t tried it myself, but to answer your question...there will be some communication with the drive to establish the connection and interrogate the contents, but your files won’t be transferred unless you interact with them. Those transfers are going to be really slow, though.