Solved

Why doesn't Shadow suspend an instance instead of powering it off?

• 10 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Why doesn't Shadow suspend an instance instead of powering it off? 

icon

Best answer by Snok 11 June 2020, 22:34

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello Nicholasg, basically due to the recent events the original idle time was changed from 2:30min to 30min. “Covid-19 has had a massive impact on the datacentre, mainly everyone using it and exceeding power limits,” -Virulent-Pip. The resources you’re not using, could go to another member who needs it. Things will go back to normal just give it some time. Hope this helps in understand the reason why.

Thats understandable but suspending the VM allows it to return from that suspended state with all of the applications still open as opposed to powering it off which shuts off all open applications.

Both options allow for resources to be reallocated to other VMs running that that specific Host. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thats understandable but suspending the VM allows it to return from that suspended state with all of the applications still open as opposed to powering it off which shuts off all open applications.

Both options allow for resources to be reallocated to other VMs running that that specific Host. 

Because suspending the VM instead of shutting it down was causing way too many issues. I think, if I remember correctly, it has something to do with the fact that your VM is not always on the same physical hardware (as in different machine), but not 100% sure on this.

I hope the time gets moved to 2:30 again so I can watch a movie without being prompted 4 times to click a mouse before shadow shuts down. 

Can you at least enable a way to temporarily bump up that time higher like (don’t show that message for 2:30 mins?)

Badge +1

Because suspending the VM instead of shutting it down was causing way too many issues. I think, if I remember correctly, it has something to do with the fact that your VM is not always on the same physical hardware (as in different machine), but not 100% sure on this.

Can’t be true since Shadow USED to support hibernation.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Can’t be true since Shadow USED to support hibernation.

It never timed out. 

the 150 minutes timer didnt kick in if there was no load. 

Is there a chance that hibernation will be supported? 

Besides gaming, I use my Shadow for software development and design, and it is REALLY annoying to have to reopen all windows again after 30 min inactivity. So much productivity is lost there.

It would perfectly work for me if the machine freezes after 30 min (I would press the button myself before walking away), and I can simply start it to continue my work. I'm not using it for server like applications or machine learning or something. 

Hope to hear from you!