Changelog Shadow VR Alpha 3.2.4 / 1407

• 19 November 2020
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello everyone,

We are releasing several modifications to the Shadow VR (Alpha) app today.  Get yourself the updated version on Sidequest now.

This release is focused on fixing launch issues. We want to make it more reliable to get into SteamVR without experiencing difficulties (mostly crashes and reboots).

Changelog:

Reworked Shadow VR launch
With this reworked launch cycle we believe there should not be anymore occurrences of users landing on a zoomed-in 2D desktop screen with the SteamVR monitoring panel running instead of the SteamVR home as expected anymore.

3dGNHjmRown5Zw_DE0MEgcuvgAEnMiXc_brfQRApVsAugrBdT2GftUAKCMkwqUvIc8fK1HxE2cVzqwnSeXHWYJopOaT1F3HKU-fZ2296pl2SWnWV-fUHfgi_6dogzMGWhZwrNPqz

This should also reduce the number of users being stuck on ‘’Starting Shadow VR’’
We believe with these changes the following reports should have been dealt with :)

There might still be some remaining cases of users stuck on ‘’Starting Shadow VR’ which we will fix in a future update. This one has a completely different root cause and could not be addressed in this build.

hmyQWMO1qEany92xV-zvM0XA5qxvIv-KKnRMnqMDGmWAeMktJh7SLtxrqt92xCh7Rl1lqFZyxWIUWjnBN0GEP5EjgVF8O19kjdGrDAE30KHWKQjQKVJPi6HJF7-xIfINGTxC3T6w

We have also released fixes for the following issues:

• Launching Shadow (when shutdown) several times in a row from within the Shadow VR (Alpha) client is now possible without going through 5 to 10 min crashes and update

• Launching Shadow VR (Alpha) for the first time should not longer result in a guaranteed crash

Vibrations / Haptic feedback 

Vibrations / Haptic feedback have now been implemented!
From now on, it’ll work like on a local PCVR experience or on your local Quest apps :)

Next steps:

• We have noticed a tremendous amount of people trying very hard to make it work on Oculus Quest 2. While we salute your perseverance and ingenuity (setting the IPD on lowest), we really feel bad for you guys, so we will put some time into officially supporting Shadow VR on Quest 2.

• Other than that, our full focus will be on improving head movement fluidity as it stands very clearly as our top offender in terms of in-VR experience. We have some leads that we are working on.

• As for Quality of life improvements, we know the hassle it is to switch from desktop apps to ShadowVR (Alpha) at the moment. We also know it’s a source of bugs. We plan to merge our VR environment with our main one so that you can switch from our alpha desktop clients to ShadowVR way faster than today.

We have updated our list of known issues and planned feature with this release’s content so you can follow up our progress.

And keep sharing your feedback and bug reports in the appropriate forum section, it really helps!

Raph

16 replies

Thanks Raph, looking forward to trying it. I was one of those people stuck at the desktop…

On another topic, I´m loving the fix for Virtual Desktop in the alpha desktop client. From what I gathered from the Twitch stream is that it should have been released properly yesterday. No love yet though.

Keep it up man. I really like the communication that´s going on!

Badge

Quest 2 - Updated from Sidequest - had a stuck purple linear landscape opening screen after starting ShadowVR. Uninstalled/Reinstalled new ShadowVR. Also had a stuck screen... quit and restarted ShadowVR successfully into SteamVR. SteamVR still had some jitter but not as much as yesterday. Overall experience was slower but will try again later. No Man’s Sky was not playable.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Quest 1

Updated software

And tested

Once I started the loading process it loaded real quick

And I can exit then come back with out resetting the shadow 

Stuttering is improved a bit aswell

Haptics feel great too

Unfortunately derail valley still doesn't work properly on shadow

Userlevel 1
Badge

UPDATE 

After a few trys I'm now landing on a light blue screen as steam vr seems to refuse launching?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Quest 2 - Updated from Sidequest - had a stuck purple linear landscape opening screen after starting ShadowVR. Uninstalled/Reinstalled new ShadowVR. Also had a stuck screen... quit and restarted ShadowVR successfully into SteamVR. SteamVR still had some jitter but not as much as yesterday. Overall experience was slower but will try again later. No Man’s Sky was not playable.

Please note that Quest 2 is still not officially supported :)
Though In your case I don’t think it’s linked.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Quest 1

Updated software

And tested

Once I started the loading process it loaded real quick

And I can exit then come back with out resetting the shadow 

Stuttering is improved a bit aswell

Haptics feel great too

Unfortunately derail valley still doesn't work properly on shadow

Hey,

1/ We have not worked at all on derail valley. It’s very low on our priority list at the moment so do not expect to see it work anytime soon :(

2/ Improved stuttering is probably random based on your network quality at the time of the quest or other factor. We have not changed code that could impact it.

Glad it worked better for you all in all!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

UPDATE 

After a few trys I'm now landing on a light blue screen as steam vr seems to refuse launching?

Could you report this with screenshot in the feedback section & app version number?

Thank you,

Badge

Would it be possible if you are working in the same environment to have a another Shadow client up at the same time as the VR client? It would allow desktop access to troubleshoot issues while keeping Shadow VR focus solely inside VR.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Would it be possible if you are working in the same environment to have a another Shadow client up at the same time as the VR client? It would allow desktop access to troubleshoot issues while keeping Shadow VR focus solely inside VR.

We thought about it but that would mean duplicating the video stream hence the necessary bandwidth and might degrade in VR perfs.
We believe troubleshooting has to happen within the headset directly for proper user experience.

Hey thanks for all the hard work once again! 

Ever since this update I haven’t been able to get in once. It just gets stuck at “update in progress” sometimes 70% lately it just doesn’t go up at all. I’m running it on Quest 1 and I uninstalled the client and redownloaded it from side quest 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hey thanks for all the hard work once again! 

Ever since this update I haven’t been able to get in once. It just gets stuck at “update in progress” sometimes 70% lately it just doesn’t go up at all. I’m running it on Quest 1 and I uninstalled the client and redownloaded it from side quest 

Hey there,

You can try to shutdown Shadow and open it again on the desktop official launcher. Then doing the switch to VR again.
Though all in all, this problem should be solved once we merge the VR environment with the classic Shadow Alpha. 

I can’t wait for the Quest 2 version of Shadow VR. 

I can’t wait for the Quest 2 version of Shadow VR. 

Same here. I hope quest 2 support on early christmas time. 

First time trying ShadowVR here.

I came to test this alpha after playing about 100+ hours of VR on shadow with Virtual Desktop, and i noticed immediately 2 things:

1. Shadow VR starts on SteamVR instead of a desktop, il could be ok but i’ll miss to play oculus exclusives and modded Skyrim (that i’m playing right now).
  2. There is a notable lag especially in moving the head around, thing that is absent on Virtual Desktop.

The good part is that the streaming quality is very good, i did not noticed any atifact at all.

Maybe is a dung suggestion but… Ever thinked about collaborating with the guy behind Virtual Desktop?

Hello everyone,

We are releasing several modifications to the Shadow VR (Alpha) app today.  Get yourself the updated version on Sidequest now.

This release is focused on fixing launch issues. We want to make it more reliable to get into SteamVR without experiencing difficulties (mostly crashes and reboots).

Changelog:

Reworked Shadow VR launch
With this reworked launch cycle we believe there should not be anymore occurrences of users landing on a zoomed-in 2D desktop screen with the SteamVR monitoring panel running instead of the SteamVR home as expected anymore.

3dGNHjmRown5Zw_DE0MEgcuvgAEnMiXc_brfQRApVsAugrBdT2GftUAKCMkwqUvIc8fK1HxE2cVzqwnSeXHWYJopOaT1F3HKU-fZ2296pl2SWnWV-fUHfgi_6dogzMGWhZwrNPqz

This should also reduce the number of users being stuck on ‘’Starting Shadow VR’’
We believe with these changes the following reports should have been dealt with :)

There might still be some remaining cases of users stuck on ‘’Starting Shadow VR’ which we will fix in a future update. This one has a completely different root cause and could not be addressed in this build.

hmyQWMO1qEany92xV-zvM0XA5qxvIv-KKnRMnqMDGmWAeMktJh7SLtxrqt92xCh7Rl1lqFZyxWIUWjnBN0GEP5EjgVF8O19kjdGrDAE30KHWKQjQKVJPi6HJF7-xIfINGTxC3T6w

We have also released fixes for the following issues:

• Launching Shadow (when shutdown) several times in a row from within the Shadow VR (Alpha) client is now possible without going through 5 to 10 min crashes and update

• Launching Shadow VR (Alpha) for the first time should not longer result in a guaranteed crash

Vibrations / Haptic feedback 

Vibrations / Haptic feedback have now been implemented!
From now on, it’ll work like on a local PCVR experience or on your local Quest apps :)

Next steps:

• We have noticed a tremendous amount of people trying very hard to make it work on Oculus Quest 2. While we salute your perseverance and ingenuity (setting the IPD on lowest), we really feel bad for you guys, so we will put some time into officially supporting Shadow VR on Quest 2.

• Other than that, our full focus will be on improving head movement fluidity as it stands very clearly as our top offender in terms of in-VR experience. We have some leads that we are working on.

• As for Quality of life improvements, we know the hassle it is to switch from desktop apps to ShadowVR (Alpha) at the moment. We also know it’s a source of bugs. We plan to merge our VR environment with our main one so that you can switch from our alpha desktop clients to ShadowVR way faster than today.

We have updated our list of known issues and planned feature with this release’s content so you can follow up our progress.

And keep sharing your feedback and bug reports in the appropriate forum section, it really helps!

Raph

Hi Raph, I have only had my shadow a few days and only just found this forum. I couldn’t wait to get it set up on Vr for my quest 2 so I can play some awesome pc Vr games. 

I set it up last night and followed all instructions etc, when I go to start shadowvr I get error 206, do you know what this is?

thanks in advance for your reply.

Testé ce matin, c’est très saccadé chez moi sur Quest 1, j’ai vu que la résolution est positionnée sur 72hz, faut il faire un réglage sur le casque ?  une solution ?

Tested this morning, it's very jerky at home on Quest 1, I saw that the resolution is set to 72hz, do you need to adjust the headphones? a solution ?