Changelog Shadow VR Alpha 3.7.0

• 11 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hello everyone,

A new release is upon us for Shadow VR (Alpha). Go get it on Sidequest!

Those are the top 3 improvements brought upon by this release:

1. Reworked UI to match with our other apps

2. Proper Quest 2 support / We have fixed the IPD issue

3. Implemented a workaround to be able to start Shadow VR while the Shadow is Shut down

Full Changelog:

Reworked UI

Our team believes in starting small and fast, releasing then polishing. Our previous launcher design was never meant to stay but it was fast to implement and functional. We thank it for now!
Say hi to the first iteration of our new launcher which design matches that of our other apps.
Please share your feedback as to what functionalities and buttons you’d like to see to completely feel at home. We know we are going to have to implement a settings panel at one point and your feedback will help shape it.

IPD bug on Quest 2 fix

We released Quest 2 support on version 3.4.1 but we were missing something as users with different IPD settings would get a distorted/duplicated image making it unusable. We have fixed it, now properly taking into account the IPD settings used.
Quest 2 is a go!

Starting Shadow VR from scratch!

One of the key promises of Shadow VR is to be able to do it all from your VR headset without having to pre launch your Shadow on another device only to switch to your Quest. We have identified that starting and launching Shadow VR then SteamVR directly from a Shadow that was shutdown would systematically result in severe performance issues. There does not seem to be something we can do to correct this at the moment so the team has come up with a work-around.

Now when starting Shadow VR, if your Shadow is not started yet, the stream will launch in desktop mode first, resolving performance issues and allowing you to switch manually to VR mode from within the headset. We plan on adding a shortcut to do the switch even faster in a future release.

In addition to this we have also worked on the following improvements and bug fixes

• Dynamic bitrate has been implemented by default. Whenever your network slows down we adjust the stream quality to keep the experience as fluid as possible

• Fixed a bug where centering your position with a long press of Oculus button would not work. It now works consistently both in stream and in the launcher.

• You do not need to click twice on Start Shadow VR to reach SteamVR anymore. One click is enough.

• Credentials should be saved from now on between version updates

• Quest 2 controller model has been implemented within SteamVR if you are using a Quest 2

• Fixed a bug where Quest 2 controllers would blink in the launcher                               

Next Steps:

• We feel that the one remaining roadblock to releasing the app to beta is the head movement fluidity. Our team member in charge of the streamer is completely focused (and has been for a few weeks) on reworking the way we do it.

• We will be bringing improvements to both the desktop mode and the launcher

We have updated our list of known issues and planned feature with this release’s content so you can follow up on our progress.

And keep sharing your feedback and bug reports in the appropriate forum section, it really helps!

8 replies

UPDATE: Reinstalling ShadowVR fixed the issue.

I updated ShadowVR on my Q2 and now get an invalid login. I’ve confirmed my password, it works fine with the other clients.

Steam just says “Headset not Detected” when trying to switch to VR mode from within ShadowVR.

This is my first time trying the ShadowVR app, so I tried firing up the VR version of No Man’s Sky from the 2D stream mode, then press the menu button and select the VR Streaming. It just sits there for 10 minutes doing nothing. I hit back and then try 2D streaming again and it pops right back in.

Badge

Steam just says “Headset not Detected” when trying to switch to VR mode from within ShadowVR.

This is my first time trying the ShadowVR app, so I tried firing up the VR version of No Man’s Sky from the 2D stream mode, then press the menu button and select the VR Streaming. It just sits there for 10 minutes doing nothing. I hit back and then try 2D streaming again and it pops right back in.

Yeach im having the exact same issue, apart from in 2D mode steam picks up the headset and controller but when I try to get into VR it just stays on the "Starting VR Streaming"

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

We are going to be lookingn at that early next week.

Badge

Yeach im having the exact same issue, apart from in 2D mode steam picks up the headset and controller but when I try to get into VR it just stays on the "Starting VR Streaming"

I've figured out or atleast i think this is why it would get stuck on "starting VR stream" is because I had change my pixel density too 2560 but after reverting/reseting my headset boom, it started working and it was amazing! Jittery but I had a much better experience than using VD.

Well done 👏 coming along great! 

I've figured out or atleast i think this is why it would get stuck on "starting VR stream" is because I had change my pixel density too 2560 but after reverting/reseting my headset boom, it started working and it was amazing! Jittery but I had a much better experience than using VD.

Umm, I vaguely remember seeing a setting like this the first day I had the headset, but can not find it in the Quest 2 settings screens anywhere now. Where did you find this option?

Badge

Umm, I vaguely remember seeing a setting like this the first day I had the headset, but can not find it in the Quest 2 settings screens anywhere now. Where did you find this option?

You can only change the pixel density using side quest or an android adb command app, its not in the quest 2 settings itself, if your having issues I'd recommend starting in 2D mode and making sure your steam VR is starting and operating properly, close VD if its ON on start up, if your steam VR doesn't start or has some issues in 2D mode then use task manager and totally close anything to do with steam and then restart steam 👍 oh and I turned nvidia in game overlay off, dont think it really matters but might be worth a shot

Oh and the IDP still doesn't work on anything other than level 2, level 3 which is what I use normally makes the FOV crazy wide and everything is way out of scale and level 1 is cross eyed to the max 

Okay after trying several ideas I did get it to work. Never been in the SteamVR Home before. Super awesome. But dam the jitter made it unusable. Can’t wait to see where this goes.