Solved

Access to Shadow discord channels

• 21 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Is it possible to get read-only access to the Shadow Discord channels?

I do not want to verify my identity by phone with Discord (that is information I do not want to share with a third-party unrelated to Shadow). But that prevents me from indicating I have read the rules as per instructions by leaving an emote. (Rules that do not really apply for read-only access to begin with.)

I can not post messages in the reception channel, and messaging a Shadow Discord moderator or community manager also does not work because direct messages understandably do not get delivered. This is a bit of a catch 22 :).

It might be a good idea to allow read-only access to the Shadow Discord channels without requiring a special procedure? That would remove a hurdle for users simply looking for information.

icon

Best answer by Brittaney from Shadow 22 February 2021, 20:20

Hey there, thanks for reaching out.  Due to how Discord has set up its verification system, we do not have the ability to bypass the restrictions to even grant read-only abilities.  If you wish to participate in the Shadow Discord server, you will need to enter your phone number to verify your account.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

DMing a mod, CM or guru shouldn’t be a problem, but they will not be able to help you with your request. Verifying is just a requirement to access the server. I don’t see why you are comfortable to provide your phone number to shadow, but not to discord, but that is on you and you don’t have to explain. 

DMing doesn’t work since the messages can not be delivered. The linked article in the resulting error message states the most obvious reason: “You have not completed the required membership screening steps in your shared server.” Hence the catch 22.

Verifying with Discord is a requirement to send messages. I only want to read. It is unclear to me why Shadow decided this needs to be a requirement to read the other Shadow Discord channels.

As for sharing personal details like a phone number: I’m a paying customer of Shadow, which hopefully gives them an incentive to keep my information private. I have no such relationship with Discord, which is a free service to me.

I understand I’m making things more difficult for myself by being privacy conscious, but I find it strange and unnecessary that Shadow requires sharing this type of information with a third-party.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Stefan It helps keeping the trolls and people who don’t respect the rules away. I am not 100% sure why they decided to not give you read only access, but have some reasons in my mind. If you are not able to DM team members you can ping them in the reception channel (just not all at once) but as I said, they will not really be able to help

@Phobos I get the feeling the problem and my subsequent suggestion is not getting across :).

Keeping trolls away is important, but not an issue in this case. To break the rules you need to be able to post and I’m not advocating for allowing posting without verification and/or accepting rules.

You mention “I am not 100% sure why they decided to not give you read only access”. No such thing happened. As I mentioned, I am unable to communicate via Discord because I am not willing to verify by phone with Discord. This includes being able to ping in the reception channel. I am posting on this forum for that very reason. This is my first attempt at contacting Shadow on the issue.

As for being able to help: on the old Discord channel you could get access by sending a screenshot of your account page via DM. So I think it is not strange to assume they still have similar abilities. Someone implemented the current roles system using posted emotes for gaining access. What makes you think they can’t help?

Overall I’m advocating for a small policy change on the Shadow Discord server so people can at least read all the channels without being verified. This is possible with the Discord roles system that is currently already being used. That would be better than solving this problem on a case-by-case basis and help others in a similar situation.

I hope that clarifies things.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Stefan I understand.. Although this is a community forum. 

The old role system is not available and not in use anymore.
The moderators or gurus can’t help you with this issue because it is not their job, you would actually have to contact a Community Manager in this case. Nobody here on this forum can help you with this. Sadly the discord feature request channel can only be accessed when you accepted the rules. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hey there, thanks for reaching out.  Due to how Discord has set up its verification system, we do not have the ability to bypass the restrictions to even grant read-only abilities.  If you wish to participate in the Shadow Discord server, you will need to enter your phone number to verify your account.