Question

AppleTV - Xbox Controller - Start and Select Button dont work

• 25 August 2022
  • 9 replies

When I fire up my Shadow on the AppleTV and try to play a game which requires to press “Start” or “Select” I don't recognize my input. I try the windows controller calibration Tool and see that those buttons don't when clicked don't react.

Things I tried:

- reconnect my controller

- restart my AppleTV

- restart my Shadow while connected

my guess is the new tvOS update, which blocked these inputs inside another "not Apple"-App

maybe someone got an advice for me.

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Same issue here! Makes games unplayable on Apple TV. 

Did you find a solution yet?

Strangely enough if you hold both start & select button the Shadow quick menu opens up. So there is no problem with Apple TV, just my game running on Shadow not recognizing the input.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @CalleGator and @Cowherd 

If you use this template it will help others with finding out what is going on… Also if you can open a ticket with shadow:

Bug reporting Template:

• Describe the bug (required)

• Provide aDescribe detailed description of the bug

• Include screenshots if possible

•  the bug behavior VS. the expected behavior (what should happen if working properly)

• Steps to reproduce the bug (required)

• Provide explicit step-by-step actions to recreate the bug.

• Example:

3. Try to forward the headsets you first started to notice the bug

• 1. Start Shadow

• 2. Plug in headset XXX

• 2. Open the Quick Menu an mic

• After these steps, does the bug occur 100% of the time? Or sometimes?

• Application/device, official or beta, and version number (required)

• Example: Windows official Launcher v4.14.19 Client v3.2.17

• Additional Context

• Provide any additional information here

• Include relevant logs, DxDiag or specs of your computer, connection speed test results, additional screenshots or video, etc.

• The approximate date/time that go to Microphone tab

• Any other relevant info that could be useful

• Copy and paste the template below and fill it out in your post:

• -Gelgoog

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@CalleGator @Cowherd there is a fix for this issue on our Beta App. You can go ahead and give it a try by downloading the Beta App to your Apple TV. You can find it on the apps download page here: https://account.shadow.tech/home/applications - Choose "Applications" on the left. You'll need to scroll down to see it.

@CalleGator @Cowherd there is a fix for this issue on our Beta App. You can go ahead and give it a try by downloading the Beta App to your Apple TV. You can find it on the apps download page here: https://account.shadow.tech/home/applications - Choose "Applications" on the left. You'll need to scroll down to see it.

Thanks a lot Jonathan, I will give that a try. I have tried to install the Beta app, unfortunately I cannot open the link on the application page, I need a ‘’redeem’’ code to load the Beta app in TestFlight on tvOS, could you help me with that code? Thanks a lot!

@Jonathan from Shadow can you help me get access to the tvOS Beta, I need a redeem code to enter into Testflight? Thanks!

Userlevel 1

@Jonathan from Shadow could you help me get access to the tvOS Beta, I need a redeem code to enter into Testflight. Thanks! The start button & select button isn’t working for me.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Cowherd @Jas you shouldn’t need a code to enter the beta program on TestFlight. 

To install the Apple TV Beta version of Shadow, you will need to download the TestFlight app on both your Apple TV and an iOS device such as iPhone/iPad. After installing the TestFlight app on both devices, go ahead and click the beta link from our website on your iOS device. You will then be prompted with further instructions to accept our Terms of Services on your iPhone or iPad, before being able to install Shadow on your Apple TV. Once you have accepted, head towards the TestFlight app on your Apple TV to install. It should be located in the apps tab of TestFlight.