Solved

Control sound on local PC

• 28 March 2021
  • 5 replies

In order to control my volume on my Shadow PC i usually turn up my volume and set my Shadow PC to 20%, so i can turn it up if the sounds are quite. Some game sounds can be low. But now my local PC sounds are 5x higher. I have all my communcation programs on my local pc. When i get a email or discord message the sound is really loud and when i get a skype call with headphones on it earbleeding loud.

Some years ago Shadow PC sounds was set to 100% and volume control was disabled, so the volume would be the same, but for some reason i can’t control my local PC within Shadow anymore. All the other cloud services dont have this issue, but for some reason Shadow PC changed this setup.

Are there any tools for volume control i can use in order to control my local PC volume instead?

Or somehow disable that it will capture my volume control buttons in Window.

I am using Windows 10.

icon

Best answer by Jim29er 28 March 2021, 21:29

Sorry i forgot to say i am using my keyboard volume control to adjust the volume and when using it, it adjusts the volume of the Shadow PC, but i rather have my Shadow PC volume at 100% and control my local PCs volume.

Ah okay, that makes a lot more sense now :grinning:

I don’t use keyboard media controls, but I had such a keyboard in the closet and tried it out. Sure enough, the media controls get sent to the Shadow VM vs. staying local. I imagine they did that for people who like to run media apps on their Shadow and use those controls for them. Still, I’m with you on this...I’d rather have the controls change my local vs. the Shadow.

To make everyone happy, there should be a toggle in the Shadow client to set the preference. I think this is falling into the realm of a “feature request” under https://forum.shadow.tech/feature-requests-57 … there may be such a request already there, but I didn’t look.

Edit...it looks like this one is along the same lines:

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I’m trying to follow what you’re trying to say here. The Windows volume on my Shadow VM is set to 100%, and when I generate sound from it, the volume is exactly the same as the volume of sounds coming from my local PC.

If you open the Volume Mixer on the Shadow VM, are any of the sliders set different than the others? Similarly, how about the Volume Mixer levels locally - is the Shadow one (when the app is running) set lower?

Am I missing something?

I’m trying to follow what you’re trying to say here. The Windows volume on my Shadow VM is set to 100%, and when I generate sound from it, the volume is exactly the same as the volume of sounds coming from my local PC.

If you open the Volume Mixer on the Shadow VM, are any of the sliders set different than the others? Similarly, how about the Volume Mixer levels locally - is the Shadow one (when the app is running) set lower?

Am I missing something?

Sorry i forgot to say i am using my keyboard volume control to adjust the volume and when using it, it adjusts the volume of the Shadow PC, but i rather have my Shadow PC volume at 100% and control my local PCs volume.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I don’t use keyboard media controls, but I had such a keyboard in the closet and tried it out. Sure enough, the media controls get sent to the Shadow VM vs. staying local. I imagine they did that for people who like to run media apps on their Shadow and use those controls for them. Still, I’m with you on this...I’d rather have the controls change my local vs. the Shadow.

To make everyone happy, there should be a toggle in the Shadow client to set the preference. I think this is falling into the realm of a “feature request” under https://forum.shadow.tech/feature-requests-57 … there may be such a request already there, but I didn’t look.

Yeah i cant put my messing apps within Shadow PC, since then noone can send me a message and Shadow PC cant idle more than 15 mins. 

Im not sure how you control your volume if you set it to 100%, but you probably have some speakers with a volume control on them.

Im using a laptop, so there is no volume control on my speakers, so im forced to use the keyboard control and it really annoying to loud sound on my local PC or to Alt-Tab out on full screen games/apps to adjust volume. I need to set my Shadow PC volume to like 20%, so there is some margin to adjust the volume on the go. Some times there is a dialog and the sound is quite and if it is a starting sceen you either need to restart the game or sometimes create a new character to see it again. Or if i put my volume to 100% i have to exit fulscreen, click on the local taskbar, adjust volume, click on Shadow apps window, fullscreen it again.

None of the other cloud services work like this. I use maximumsettings, paperspace, Geforce Now, Playstation Now and Stadia and Shadow used to have the volume control disabled aswell.

I tried using VB-Cable, but im not sure how to make it work.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Powermongur 

Copy and paste the template below and fill it out in your post:

• Describe the bug (required)

• Provide a detailed description of the bug

• Include screenshots if possible

• Describe the bug behavior VS. the expected behavior (what should happen if working properly)

• Steps to reproduce the bug (required)

• Provide explicit step-by-step actions to re-create the bug.

• Example:

• 1. Start Shadow

• 2. Plug in headset XXX

• 2. Open the Quick Menu and go to Microphone tab

• 3. Try to forward the headset’s mic

• After these steps, does the bug occur 100% of the time? Or sometimes?

• Application/device, official or beta, and version number (required)

• Example: Windows official Launcher v4.14.19 Client v3.2.17

• Additional Context

• Provide any additional information here

• Include relevant logs, DxDiag or specs of your computer, connection speedtest results, additional screenshots or video, etc.

• The approximate date/time that you first started to notice the bug

• Any other relevant info that could be useful

It would also help out Jim29er