Solved

internet traffic

• 26 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

so i am experiencing packet loss on shadow however it doesnt show in any tests i do and i believe it is because of internet traffic does anyone have any suggestions

i restarted the router

connnected via ethernet

tried opening the right ports.

tried different dns

contacted isp and said nothing was wrong with the line and stuff

please any help would be appreciated

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 6 August 2020, 20:59

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello,

Is this happening during peak times? Have you run a trace to your Data Center? Using the looking glass.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

From Shadow, open a browser and use whatismyip to get the public IP for your Shadow. Then use a app like Ping Plotter to test the connection over time. If you see packet loss or latency in one of the hops, you’ll know where your issue is. 

Badge +2

Hey it shows no packet loss however I'm told it's network congestion however wouldn't it show up in pingplotter and CMD ping

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hey it shows no packet loss however I'm told it's network congestion however wouldn't it show up in pingplotter and CMD ping

Not necessarily...ping uses ICMP traffic, and the streaming uses UDP. It’s possible for loss in one type and not the other. Also, ISPs can throttle traffic over congested links, and that can happen without packet loss.

What is making you think you’re experiencing packet loss in the first place? Can you share a screenshot or a video?

Badge +2

The stats panel shows alot of packet loss spikes  up to around 15percent 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

The stats panel shows alot of packet loss spikes  up to around 15percent 

Ah, okay...I misunderstood your initial post surrounding testing.

The bad news is, there really isn’t a definitive way to know where that UDP loss is occurring. The Shadow client merely knows that stream data was sent to your client, and your client didn’t receive it...it has no way of knowing “where” along the Internet path that loss occurred. And to figure that out...as you’ve already seen, ICMP results aren’t necessarily definitive for the UDP traffic. One would need to potentially perform point-to-point UDP tests along every link in the path, which is not possible on the Internet (unless the end-to-end traffic never leaves one ISP, and you know network engineers at said ISP who can evaluate things.) It’s complicated :no_mouth:

Hi Unkn0wnshadower, if you’re still experiencing issues with your connection, I’d recommend checking out this article here: https://help.shadow.tech/hc/en-gb/articles/360011196119-How-to-Test-Your-Connection-to-Shadow 

We also recommend running this traceroute from your local device (not on your Shadow) since it can tell you where you’re experiencing some latency or internet traffic issues: http://lg.as64476.net/ (Choose your data center and then traceroute.  To find your data center, please use this link here: http://status.shadow.tech/)