iOS HDMI mirroring problem

Badge
  • Application type: iOS 

• Shadow Client Version: Beta

• iPhone 7 Plus 

• Datacenter location: Amsterdam

• Description of issue:

Hi,

I’m having a problem mirroring the screen with an hdmi cable. When I start shadow it opens a new instance with the desktop on the remote screen but the iPhone screen keeps the app on its main screen. If I’m using a mouse, I can’t access the remote screen and it only stays on the iPhone. I get a lousy resolution too (1280x1280) and since I can’t access the desktop I can’t change it.

Is there a workaround to solve this? Any other way to connect the iPhone to a screen and use a mouse?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 29 June 2020, 18:07

View original

13 replies

Badge +1

I have exactly the same issue on my iPad Pro 11 2020

Dito!

shadow: ios beta

ios 13.5.1

ipad pro 12.9 2018

iphone 8

HDMI Mirroring not working atm, pls fix.

So this forum is not read by shadow employees who solve issues customers have? Not even a „we are looking into that“? Pfff, thats not an improvment over the discord…

that is not a bug, that is a broken feature you advertise in the app description...is your ios dev doing this in his free time because mobile support is not important?

Badge

Same issue here on 3 different iOS devices using an Apple brand lighting to hdmi adapter...

Hi there, sorry for the delay! iOS dev is here :)

External screen feature is more like a presentation feature. We can’t move the mouse on the external screen unfortunately. We expected some changes about that on iOS 14 but we didn’t see anything on the new documentation.

Until that, the best experience you can have is to plug a gamepad and launch a game before connecting your iPad with HDMI.

I will reply here if more changes are coming during the iOS 14 Beta release.

External screen feature is more like a presentation feature. We can’t move the mouse on the external screen unfortunately. We expected some changes about that on iOS 14 but we didn’t see anything on the new documentation.

Until that, the best experience you can have is to plug a gamepad and launch a game before connecting your iPad with HDMI.

Thanks for your reply! Will test this, and looking forward for ios 14!

Badge

I have tried to launch a game and use an Xbox controllers still won’t work as it still only using the controllers on the first screen I’m using an iPad Pro 11 2nd gen

So Launching a game before running the shadow app with the lightning to hdmi connector doesn’t fix the problem. The resolution is all kinds of wrong and unplayable. Something that i thought made sense to have from the get go was to mirror the screen through the hdmi out and use an xbox one controller when near a tv or monitor or whatever. I hope there is a fix for this soon its a major downfall 

Badge

I have a 2k portable monitor and there’s no way that I can run Shadow on this monitor with the Shadow app on iOS?

Totoyo, Shadow can likely work around this by simply taking the input from a generic bluetooth input device in the Shadow App.  In other words, you can take a standard mouse and take the X,Y movements and move the actual mouse on the Windows server.  This would display the mouse on the rendered external display and solve the problem.   If for some reason you cannot access mouse movements on iPad, then you could OEM a generic mouse and have them change the product type so it doesn’t look like a mouse (this would likely be a string change).  Then when paired with an iOS, Shadow’s app can grab the X,Y inputs and do exactly what I suggested earlier in this paragraph; if this is required, you would have to sell a “Shadow Mouse” that is really just a generic mouse with a string/text change by the company you are selling these through.   The implementation seems pretty easy (in concept).  This would likely be similar to what you did by allowing game controllers to work.

In fact, this implementation would be BETTER than what’s possible using Apple's integration is.  Using the mouse inputs thru Apple’s APIs are only giving you inputs when a click or hold on the button occurs.  It doesn’t look like you have any clue on mouse movement until a click is made.  Maybe I’m wrong but since you aren’t showing a mouse move on the screen, I would assume this is the case.  By you getting every X,Y movement from a bluetooth connected device (mouse) you should be able to fake mouse movement sends to the Windows UI.   This would lead to a superior implementation.

This simple fix would put Shadow in the headlines with a potential PC-killer feature.  And the kicker is that it would be easy to do.

From what I can tell, Shadow has complete control to fix this issue, without Apple’s help.

Rev 2.0 of the Shadow Mouse can broadcast two bluetooth devices (mouse and Shadow proprietary device) to iOS and send out the X,Y to both types.  This way the iPad will work with it’s built in mouse support and Shadow will work when the display is on an external display.

Thoughts?

Additional ideas on this..

1. Just implement screen mirroring from iOS until Apple supports mouse support on presentation mode.  Mouse support works on screen mirroring.  This kind of sucks because you get the black bars but it’s better than no mouse support.
  2. In presentation mode, I had a suggestion around doing a custom mouse (really just a simple device type customization).  Well, it looks like there is already a couple mice out there that do this and supports other RDP iOS solutions.  
    1. It looks like Citrix is already doing this with their Citrix X1 mouse.  They actually let the user pick if they want screen mirroring with a normal mouse or if they want to do presentation mode with their Citrix X1 mouse.

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2020/07/15/new-capabilities-on-citrix-workspace-app-for-ios-power-ipad-users/

Please note, the support is for the iPad only and for the native display (iPadOS limitation). When in a session with an external display connected, the generic mouse/trackpad cursor remains on the native display. You can use a Citrix X1 mouse to access the session/toolbar on the external display.

https://www.citrix.com/products/citrix-mouse/support.html

https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2018/05/Amazon-WorkSpaces-Introduces-Mouse-Support-on-iPad-Devices/#:~:text=You%20can%20now%20control%20your,with%20a%20SwiftPoint%20GT%20mouse.

https://www.swiftpoint.com/amazon-workspaces-mouse/

https://www.swiftpoint.com/swiftpoint-gt-mouse-now-functional-amazon-workspaces-ios-app/

https://www.amazon.com/Swiftpoint-Wireless-Ergonomic-Bluetooth-Recharge/dp/B00RI47ECS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=29SWTR3D8876Z&dchild=1&keywords=swiftpoint+gt+mouse&qid=1602605609&sprefix=swiftpoint%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-2

Swiftpoint’s current stable of remote access applications with iOS functionality also includes VMware Horizon Client, Amazon WorkSpaces, TeamViewer, Jump Desktop, Splashtop Business and Personal, Parallels Client, Sunlogin, Nulana Remotix and Mochasoft…. and more coming.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

All I can contribute is to mention how absolutely perfect it would be to be able to use HDMI out to my widescreen and actually use it with mouse, keyboard, and any other peripheral. I ran it yesterday before coming here and was freaking ecstatic to see it appear at full (well, lower but same ratio) resolution! But then I couldn’t do anything lol.

Hi. I’m trying to mirror my shadow and every time I try, it says that I’ve connected to Shadow from another device. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something in the settings that I need to change?