Solved

Issues with image/font clarity (contrast?) on mac?

I have a macbook air 2013 with OS Catalina. I’ve been using Shadow for some time, and I’ve noticed that the fonts just don’t look right. I’ve got two examples here. 

https://imgur.com/SHCyGJb

Notice how the “download” looks

and here

https://imgur.com/dpT5o3S

Everything looks washed out, and the contrast seems off, and it’s hard to read. I’m at 50 for the bandwidth, little lag. No night settings on. True tone is not on. Anyone have any solutions, or is this just how it’s supposed to look? 

icon

Best answer by Lily 2 June 2020, 06:21

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

It should look as your local would look. Have you tried installing the latest video card drivers on your Shadow? 

Badge +1

And did you choose the right resolution? This happens if you are on a 1440p screen for example but your shadow runs at 1080p. Your shadow resolution MUST match with your local resolution.

It should look as your local would look. Have you tried installing the latest video card drivers on your Shadow? 

I have it set to automatically update, so I would assume so. 

And did you choose the right resolution? This happens if you are on a 1440p screen for example but your shadow runs at 1080p. Your shadow resolution MUST match with your local resolution.

My macbook air’s resolution is 1440x900, with color LCD, and that’s what my Shadow is set at. 1440x900, with “Apple Color LCD” and 60 fps. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Did you try the beta app as well? 

Did you try the beta app as well? 

No, sorry, what beta app is that?

Badge +1

Take a look in your account page → applications → Mac Beta.

Try the beta app of the Shadow app.

Take a look in your account page → applications → Mac Beta.

Try the beta app of the Shadow app.

Unfortunately, that didn’t help at all. 

Badge +1

Did you try the h.256-Codec? You can change that in the launcher. If your CPU supports it (all CPU’s after 2013 I guess)

Did you try the h.256-Codec? You can change that in the launcher. If your CPU supports it (all CPU’s after 2013 I guess)

Mine doesn’t, but frankly I don’t think that’s the issue. I’ve got plenty of bandwidth with minimal lag. 

So I have an early 2015 11” Macbook air that I often use for shadow because the screen on the normal laptop I use stopped working. So first of all, not to completely hate on apple, but the screens on their air series laptops are generally not so good, especially the older models.

Although, I was just checking this exact forum page on my macbook air and I compared the image from the forum on vs the image of the forum on the mac and I do in fact see a difference. To me it looks like there is not enough contrast on the shadow image and it feels like it needs more white balance. Although the resolution and the screen quality of my mac is not great overall, the images when I use shadow do tend to be overpixelated and kind of fuzzy despite being in the native resolution.

Here’s 2 examples:

Shadow Image

Desktop Image

(Please ignore the sinful amount of tabs I have open on both desktops:confounded: ...

~Jmanblob

So I have an early 2015 11” Macbook air that I often use for shadow because the screen on the normal laptop I use stopped working. So first of all, not to completely hate on apple, but the screens on their air series laptops are generally not so good, especially the older models. You should make sure your resolution matches the native resolution the mac (the resolution on my model is 1366 x 768, so not a very normal one in terms of what you may be used to). You can check this by:

1. Clicking the apple logo on the top left.
  2. Going into about this Mac.
  3. Then going into the display section.

From there it should tell you your native resolution. Besides that, really what I would chalk it up to is just a laptop with not the best screen. The resolution isn’t great and on my model the colors are really not that vibrant. Besides the fact that a 2013 model is 7 years old, Apple is pretty good at hiding low quality screens by using fonts and styles in their UI that is easy going on most screens.

Hope this helps.

~Jmanblob

It’s at that native resolution 1440x900, but I would not be surprised if it’s just the display. 

So I have an early 2015 11” Macbook air that I often use for shadow because the screen on the normal laptop I use stopped working. So first of all, not to completely hate on apple, but the screens on their air series laptops are generally not so good, especially the older models. You should make sure your resolution matches the native resolution the mac (the resolution on my model is 1366 x 768, so not a very normal one in terms of what you may be used to). You can check this by:

1. Clicking the apple logo on the top left.
  2. Going into about this Mac.
  3. Then going into the display section.

From there it should tell you your native resolution. Besides that, really what I would chalk it up to is just a laptop with not the best screen. The resolution isn’t great and on my model the colors are really not that vibrant. Besides the fact that a 2013 model is 7 years old, Apple is pretty good at hiding low quality screens by using fonts and styles in their UI that is easy going on most screens.

Hope this helps.

~Jmanblob

It’s at that native resolution 1440x900, but I would not be surprised if it’s just the display. 

Just read that after I posted a response. :grin: sorry about that. This response my help more.