Solved

Linux Performance Issues Help?

Hi everyone!

Quick question, have any of you experienced any performance issues on a Linux/Windows Dual-boot unit?

It works flawlessly when I run Shadow on Windows, but on Linux...yikes, a completely different story with key presses and mouse movements registering after about 10 seconds and the visuals / sounds being ultra slow, as you can imagine. Don’t think internet speed/performance is an issue, as I mentioned it runs great on Win10, but it might be, I don’t know!

Here’s some info on my machine

• HP Elitebook 8470p Laptop / 8GB RAM / Intel Core i5-3320M / Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (dual-boot to Win10 Pro).

Wanted to see if anyone has run into this or had any tips to fix. 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by arpadjagiellon 28 May 2020, 07:02

View original

13 replies

Badge +1

Hello, I know it’s kind of a pain but I’m curious if it would run better on ubuntu 18.04. You could test it by running it via a live usb with the older version of ubuntu installed.  I’m skeptical that the dual boot is what is causing you issues, more likely there are changes between 18.04 and 20.04 that haven’t been accounted for yet.

FYI I found this to be a good resource troubleshooting linux issues:

https://nicolasguilloux.github.io/blade-shadow-beta/
https://github.com/NicolasGuilloux/blade-shadow-beta/

If no one is able to help via this forum it could be worth posting an issue in the github repo.

Maybe this issue is related to the problems you’re encountering? https://github.com/NicolasGuilloux/blade-shadow-beta/issues/62

Best of luck!

Badge

I have tried Ubuntu 20.04, 18.04, fedora 32, manjaro... Latency is good in general, but there are many issues (invisible mouse cursors, crashes, issues with video acceleration on intel..). I use a ThinkPad x240 (no h265) and a lapbook air (good perf with h265) as main clients, with ethernet.

On Windows I can watch a YouTube video while shadow is loading cod mw, nearly impossible on any Linux (vaapi chromium or not).

And I have tried shadow appimage, beta alpha classic... Shadowcker (best solution for compatibilty but no keyring), I launch it with game mode thanks to lutris... I tried RT kernel, xanmod, totally stock... I tried everything I could, but video acceleration is not on pair with windows, I got a lot of crash probably caused by overload of the intel GPU video implementation on Linux (HD4000 and HD500).

And it's a shame, because it could be perfect, the best of both worlds.

Windows install is far more reliable with no specific tweaking, + on the road to Wayland, shadowapp isn't compatible (fedora default, and Linux future), which means a lot of tinkering for a poor experience on my part. Windows feels lighter !

I really hope to have something better one day.

Badge

I will follow this thread as I too am a big linux user, especially elementary OS and Pop_OS 20.04 as my daily driver.  So the Shadow client on linux a big deal to me.  But I have been using the Shadow Ghost as my main client for Shadow connectivity over a year now, thus no big deal breaker on the spotty linux distro support as of now, but hopefully we get a fully working client for all Ubuntu based distro soon.  

Badge +1

I’m sorry to hear things aren’t quite working with your setup. FWIW I get pretty great performance with shadow running on Debian Buster.  I’m able to utilize my 4k screen and only experience issues when my internet connection slows down (mouse starts moving erratically probably because I’m missing frames). 

That being said, my setup is a little more powerful (24GB, i5-8350U, intel uhd 620), though I do want advertise that it’s possible to achieve good performance under linux. As for your setup, I think you may be right that it’s the difference in graphics drivers support that is causing you problems. Now that we have forum access it might be interesting to have linux users post their OS and specs with their relative performance for anyone looking to make the jump. It’d be interesting to see where exactly the cutoff is hardware wise for a good experience with shadow.

P.S. the lack of wayland support has bothered me as well, at the very least I think they could update the electron launcher configuration to support xwayland. It’s something I’ve been meaning to bring up on the linux github.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I also am on Debian Buster and the first time I ran Shadow it was a good experience, starting with the 2nd launch the launcher became mostly unusable. There is a 60s delay and everything you do making it impossible to use the launcher. The system is snoozing and all other OS functions are very fast. Launch Shadow and it is a slide show at best.

The built in speed test runs right, its like every in between function is delayed. Stable and Beta same result. 

Badge +1

@Darasin are you running buster under the default desktop environment (gnome)?  Also did you make sure to login via an x session rather than using wayland? Other than that, I’ve noticed some updates will break my launcher. I’ve had good luck re-downloading the app image from the website in those cases it tends to unbreak whatever the update seems to mess up.  I will say that a 60s input delay is pretty bad, can’t say I’ve encountered more than a few second input lag.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I've been using it on Zorin OS and it works great.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Darasinare you running buster under the default desktop environment (gnome)?  Also did you make sure to login via an x session rather than using wayland? Other than that, I’ve noticed some updates will break my launcher. I’ve had good luck re-downloading the app image from the website in those cases it tends to unbreak whatever the update seems to mess up.  I will say that a 60s input delay is pretty bad, can’t say I’ve encountered more than a few second input lag.

No, I’m using xcfe to keep performance on my pixel slate good. Gnome causes issues and I think kde plasma is the default? Anyhow using xfce lol. I’ve DL, run beta and stable but after the first good run it’s had this delay. Funny thing is everything runs super fast but shadow launcher. 

Definitely X11, wayland isn’t supported.

Badge +1

Only other thing I can think of is maybe you need to install the proprietary intel graphics drivers?  Have you tried running the app via terminal btw? It tends to spout out a bunch of interesting debug info you wouldn’t see launching it via a file explorer gui, might be helpful as well.  Best of luck haha linux is always finicky like this.

Badge

I’m sorry to hear things aren’t quite working with your setup. FWIW I get pretty great performance with shadow running on Debian Buster.  I’m able to utilize my 4k screen and only experience issues when my internet connection slows down (mouse starts moving erratically probably because I’m missing frames). 

That being said, my setup is a little more powerful (24GB, i5-8350U, intel uhd 620), though I do want advertise that it’s possible to achieve good performance under linux. As for your setup, I think you may be right that it’s the difference in graphics drivers support that is causing you problems. Now that we have forum access it might be interesting to have linux users post their OS and specs with their relative performance for anyone looking to make the jump. It’d be interesting to see where exactly the cutoff is hardware wise for a good experience with shadow.

P.S. the lack of wayland support has bothered me as well, at the very least I think they could update the electron launcher configuration to support xwayland. It’s something I’ve been meaning to bring up on the linux github.

Well I guess the cutoff is before skylake CPUs, before there is no iHD driver support, only i965.

It can work, but not as good as on Windows for me on Hardwell with 8go of ram, video decode is working but it seems the GPU can't handle too much, and it's really a shame. For my low powered lapbook air pushed to 15w, the issue is performance really, but again not on Windows. 

Badge

...Well I guess the cutoff is before skylake CPUs, before there is no iHD driver support, only i965….

I’m running an i7-4771 (Haswell) circa 2013 using the iGPU.  I can stream Shadow at 2560x1440@60FPS. OS: Arch Linux. X11.

If folks are having issues it is highly likely that they are missing necessary drivers.

https://nicolasguilloux.github.io/blade-shadow-beta/  is a good resource for setting up under Linux (scroll to ‘Setup your GPU for the VA-API’)

Badge

...Well I guess the cutoff is before skylake CPUs, before there is no iHD driver support, only i965….

I’m running an i7-4771 (Haswell) circa 2013 using the iGPU.  I can stream Shadow at 2560x1440@60FPS. OS: Arch Linux. X11.

If folks are having issues it is highly likely that they are missing necessary drivers.

https://nicolasguilloux.github.io/blade-shadow-beta/  is a good resource for setting up under Linux (scroll to ‘Setup your GPU for the VA-API’)

Nope, already tried everything possible, seriously, even shadowcker which is a docker image with everything good.

I'm using a i5 4300u laptop low power cpu, you have a i7 desktop cpu, that's hell of a difference.

It is working, but not as good as windows, it's what OP report, it's what I report, it's not a driver issue (drivers issue = no stream), IMHO it's an optimisation issue, probably intel GPU side.

Badge

My experience, I had dismal performance on first run as well.  Found the below which helped me.

See here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Hardware_accelerated_H.264_decoding_on_GMA_4500

After installing the AUR package for g45-h264 my streaming is now smooth.

Edit: I played around with various versions of libva-intel-drivers.  Not sure why the specific version I have works (g45-h264 2.3), but it does.  So YMMV; I’m onboard with the thought that there must be something up with the intel drivers.