Question

Running Shadow On My New Mini PC

• 15 August 2020
  • 13 replies

Badge

Hey Guys,

I’m a little bummed because I think I might have made a mistake. I purchased the mini pc in the Amazon link below.  I had looked at a few, and this one was priced where I thought it would have enough power to run shadow. I mean, my Windows Surface Pro runs it FINE and that was $500, so why shouldn’t a $325 mini PC that doesn’t come with a screen or anything NOT work. That was my mind set. Unfortunately, I’m not a PC hardware guy and I just don’t know what I’m looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CBFY819/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, It's connected to my 150/mbps internet via ethernet cable. I minimized all backround processes as possible and ran Shadow. The good news it s that it runs. The bad news is that the amount of lag pretty much make it unplayable. It’s probably half a second to a full second of lag. I've tried changing all the shadow settings different ways to see if there was a magic spot where it would work, but there's always that slight lag. 

Do you have any other suggestions before I get really bummed out? Haha, thanks.

Edit: I’m starting to wonder if the lag has something to do with the graphics driver rather than the actual streaming from Shadow?

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Looking at the specs of that mini PC...it should be fine. Is the OS and all drivers current with patches?

Are you now streaming at a higher resolution than you were from the Surface Pro?

What does the Shadow performance overlay look like, and which Shadow client are you using (official/beta/alpha) ?

Badge

The OS is windows 10 and as far as I know, the drivers are upgraded, but I might need to look more into it. It was basic plug and play.

I’m using the Windows Shadow Client, just the basic new download from the site from yesterday. 

The resolution on my surface pro is 2736x1824

My Mini PC is connected to a 55” TV and it’s recommended setting is 3840x3160

Should I try lowering the resolution? :-/

I’m not sure what you mean by “what does the shadowplay overlay look like”. Everything look normal? lol 

Badge

Let me clarify, it seems the game playback is smooth, but my controls are lagged. I’m using a wireless controller. I don’t know if that would cause an issue. But it doesn’t for the surface.

Maybe I’ll look into drivers for the controller as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Thanks for that...I think you mean 3840x2160 for the TV connection, and no you don’t need to change that.

I’d recommend installing the Shadow beta client, as it has the newer features and is reasonably stable (the alpha version is the one on the edge). You can then use the Quick Menu (Windowkey + ALT + O) to bring up the overlay and see your statistics. It could be that you’re streaming in UHD and that might be taking away some bandwidth for the controls, but you only want to change one thing at a time to see the effects. In other words, you might have a better experience by setting the Shadow VM’s resolution to 1920x1080, or at least using that resolution setting in your games.

Badge

Thank you, but where do I find the beta client? When I click downloads, I don’t see other options...?

Nevermind! I found it after I logged in. Thanks

Badge

So my stats show 25.5 Ms latency. Is this normal? How can I lower this?

I changed resolution to 1920x1080 but same latency.

Badge

Latency seems to be the same no matter what display resolution I use. I went down to Full HD 30 and still at 24.4 Ms Latency.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Your ~25ms of latency is actually quite typical...mine is in the 30s. That is due to distance from the Shadow data center, and there’s not much you can do to improve that significantly, although client tweaks can sometimes help a little.

In your streaming settings in the client, is that set to “prefer speed” or “prefer reliability” ? As you definitely want to set that to “prefer speed.” There are several other settings to experiment with as well (such as the low bandwidth mode), but again - try one thing at a time. :grinning:

Badge

If 25ms of latency is normal, I’m beginning to wonder if it’s my wireless controller.

I have a wired one I can try and see if there’s a difference.

Badge

Ok- so I jumped back on my surface and tried gaming on it again to see what latency I’m getting there. It’s the same or a little higher, but feels completely different. It’s much faster even if the latency jumps to 30.

I think what I’m experiencing is a latency in my Mini PC to my TV. I just upgraded my graphic drivers, but that didn’t seem to do anything. I know you don’t support those kinds of issues, but if you have any recommendations on where I can start with that, please let me know. Thank you!

Edit: I’ll start googling input lag from PC to TV.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Indeed there are a lot of possibilities, and if you do a Google search on “Shadow input lag” there will be a lot of stuff to read, including one of Shadow’s (Blade’s) own articles. One of the steps in there is to try “prefer reliability” streaming, but I can’t imagine that would help - but you never know.

Is the input lag still up to a full second? A full second is 1000ms, by the way.

If you suspect the PC to TV connection, do you have a PC monitor you can try using temporarily?

Also, if you open a support ticket, you might get some good ideas from them as well.

Badge

I do have a PC monitor but it’s such a hassle to break it down and try it out in here.

I tired prefer reliability with no real difference.

The lag is long. I mean, I can click the controller to the right and definitely notice. It feels like at least half a second. It’s enough to make it difficult to play. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

The lag is long. I mean, I can click the controller to the right and definitely notice. It feels like at least half a second. It’s enough to make it difficult to play. 

Yeah, that would certainly drive anyone nuts. What is the controller you’re using, and is it possible to connect it via USB for testing?