Question

Screen resolution issues

• 26 April 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

I’m using Shadow via my nvidia Shield. I’ve never had any real problems with it before this.

I recently took my shield to my gf’s place so we could play Mortal Kombat. She has a 1080p tv, so I had to change my normal 4k resolution to match the tv. Now, back on my tv, the display settings menu in windows won’t detect 4k as my “native” resolution, and so everything looks strange and kind of laggy - jittery game play, mouse kind of drags, stuff like that.

Resolution in the shadow menu is set to 4k, as is the Shield and the tv itself. Everything matches, except that it won’t recognize the native resolution correctly anymore, and it seems to dislike that. I’ve tried changing the resolution back and forth in display settings and in the shadow options menu, in hopes that it would renegotiate between the two display settings. Not sure what else to do here.

Edit in case anyone from Shadow sees this - sent logs, ref # xjbssn

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Strange...I switched my Shield TV (2019 Pro) resolution to 1920x1080@120Hz over the weekend for some testing with Shadow, then back to 3840x2160@60Hz when I was done. I always select 1920x1080 in the Shadow app, however, as I only have Boost...will have to try setting it to 3840x2160 to see if the Shadow VM resolution still recognizes that.

Which Shadow app version are you running on the Shield TV?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I tried my exercise again - switching the Shield back to 1920x1080, launching Shadow (verified resolution match), exiting Shadow, switching Shield to 3840x2160, launching Shadow. At this point, 3840x2160 was not a resolution selection in the Shadow app, until I restarted the Shield...then it was back, and launching the Shadow session with that resolution did match on the Shadow VM.

I’m running the 3.6.4 beta Shadow app.

Badge

Using 3.6.4. I don’t really understand exactly what the problem is - it’s set to 3840x2160 at 60hz in the app, the shield itself, and on the desktop. It seems to be running in that, but has suddenly decided it no longer wants to flag it as “native.” I don’t really understand how it would be treating the resolution differently than it had previously - does the native resolution flag cause the display drivers to act differently? Or am I just crazy?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I don’t know what you mean by no longer wants to flag it as “native” - do you mean 3840x2160 isn’t showing as “recommended” ? Also, are you using Quadro Experience to maintain drivers?

This screenshot is from a Windows client with a UHD monitor - will need to check from the Shield tonight.

Badge

Yeah, it’s not listed as “recommended” - when you adjust the resolution via the nvidia control panel rather than the windows display settings, it uses the word “native.”

I just updated the drivers via Quadro Experience, didn’t help.

Shadow tech support pushed an update on my Shadow to see if it would help, but that didn’t either.

I’m wondering if the problem lies elsewhere? I mean, if it’s rendering at the proper resolution with the proper refresh rate, it should be exactly the same as if it’s operating as the recommended option, I would assume.

One way or the other, trying to play Hades gives me a massive headache.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@livingperson2 thanks for that; I’ll have a look at mine later.

One other thing I forgot to mention, there was a recent Windows Update that messed with game performance...iirc, the build numbers that end in .928 (19042.928 and 19043.928)…something worth checking on the Shadow VM side.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I checked the Nvidia Control Panel settings tonight…

Results when using UHD display on Windows PC:

Results when using Shield TV with resolution set to 1920x1080:

Results when using Shield TV with resolution set to 3840x2160:

The “native” resolution being at 1920x1080 is seemingly expected behavior when using the Shield...

Badge

Interesting. I may be misremembering, but I’m pretty sure it flagged the 3840 resolution as recommended before all this happened.

If it’s not a resolution issue, what else might have caused performance to suddenly fall apart? I got stuck on the resolution thing because I’m pretty sure that’s the only thing that changed between it working fine and not working fine.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

If it’s not a resolution issue, what else might have caused performance to suddenly fall apart?

Right, hard to say...the 4K stream is going to be heavier and more susceptible to problems (aside from the Quadro P5000 GPU limitations), but the lack of a proper Quick Menu in the Android clients limits our ability to diagnose that stuff. The recent .928 MS patch doesn’t help either.

FWIW whenever I have such problems when using Shadow on the Shield (my preferred platform), I switch over to the Windows PC connected to the same gear for comparisons. Most of the time, the problems are present on the Windows PC as well - it’s usually Comcast network problems (or my cable modem) that impact my Shadow streaming.

I also only use 1920x1080 resolutions on Shadow...the AI upscaling on the Shield 2019 Pro works on the Shadow client, and is sufficient for my needs. My biggest want from Shadow is HDR support.