Solved

Serious Latency Issues using Shadow for VR!

• 11 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello guys, hope someone here can help me with this!

I have subscribed to shadow almost exclusively to play VR games on my Quest 2. The idea was to stream the pc vr games from shadow to the headset using virtual desktop, just like I saw a lot of people doing. However, this hasn’t been possible at all due to extreme lag when streaming, all games become instantly unplayable when stramed from Shadow (VD) to Quest 2 - black borders when turning the head, stuttering image and moviments, etc.

Not only the games, but even the desktop stream from Virtual Desktop to the headset is already very laggy, with over 200 ping. When I start a game (e.g half life Alyx), the ping jumps to 700-800.

The games are slightly playable when I reduce the stream bitrate on Virtual Desktop to the minimum cap possible, but this way the image quality of the stream looks very very bad, difficult to even distinguish objective or get any details in a short distance.

I have tried to use the Shadow VR Beta app as well, but it seems it automatically adjust the bitrate to the minimum as well for the game to run, and the image quality gets terrible just like Virtual Desktop adjusted to the minimum bitrate. There is not many settings or configuration options to play around on the Shadow VR app, so I assume I need to accept whatever it’s setup automatically for me.

It all points out to my internet connection speed. I understand that a good internet speed is crucial and mine is not the best, but it’s very weird that with an internet of 80mb 5gz wifi fiber optic I can barely stream a virtual desktop to my Oculus using shadow with a ping lower than 300, while the recommended speed on the side quest page for Shadow VR is anything above 50mb. 

Is this correct or am I missing anything here in terms of set up or connection settings/band usage configuration? If so, what would be the REAL recommended internet speed to be able to stream VR games properly? Many thanks!!

Application type (Windows)

Shadow Client Version (Official)

Local device CPU (Microsoft Surface 8 Pro)

Datacenter location (Paris)

Connection speed (88.53MB Download / 15ms ping)

icon

Best answer by Phobos 13 January 2022, 07:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hey @gabkivitz 

Please try disabling every setting in virtual desktop that is adaptive or automatic. Also check this community guide if you want: 

Virtual Desktop works fine for most people. There are no bigger complain waves or any general issues with it at the moment.

Gosh Mate @Phobos, you’re a saviour! I followed the instructions on the link you sent and the ping for the VR games went from 800ms to 60ms now, completely playable.

You’ve just saved 1 Shadow subscription :)

Thanks so much!

Userlevel 1

When I mange to get in to virtual desktop it works fine but recently it takes ages to establish a connection. Anybody else having this issue?

I have just started the Shadow VR Beta app instead as it is instant. Only down side is you don't have some of the options like increased resolution and use of a gamepad that you get with virtual desktop.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

When I mange to get in to virtual desktop it works fine but recently it takes ages to establish a connection. Anybody else having this issue?

I have just started the Shadow VR Beta app instead as it is instant. Only down side is you don't have some of the options like increased resolution and use of a gamepad that you get with virtual desktop.

If you’re behind a double-NAT, that can cause VD to have long connection times, or not connect at all.