Solved

Shadow Boost CPU Clock Frequency

• 20 September 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

Dallas data center. Shadow Boost.

This was also discussed here:

This morning, I experienced very poor CPU performance with nothing but Chrome running. Geekbench showed the following:

Maximum Frequency: 1.18 GHz

BrittaneyFromShadow replied in the post above saying “...at the normal operating frequency of the processor will be under 2.5GHz, but when you use heavy apps or do multitasking the processor can increase the frequency up to 3.4 GHz.”

I did not find this to be the case, at all. Running testufo.com in Chrome, I found that it was pegging every CPU core at 100% and the actual test was performing very poorly. Closing Chrome and then running a game (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare) also showed very poor performance while on its main menu screen (approximately 10fps). Closing and re-opening Geekbench while both programs were running, the “Maximum Frequency” continued to stay at 1.18 GHz even while all CPU cores were at 100%.

Restarting Shadow didn’t change anything. The only thing that made a difference was doing a Shut Down, waiting a bit and then starting Shadow. This gave me a frequency of 3.00 GHz which remained for the lifetime of that Shadow instance… it never went down or up, regardless of workload. Chrome and CoD returned to normal performance levels.

Is there an explanation for this?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Sail 29 September 2020, 19:31

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Strange. Is that “maximum frequency” in Geekbench supposed to be dynamically detected?

More strangeness, is that the Xeon E5-2678 v3 does not appear on Intel’s list at https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/78583/intel-xeon-processor-e5-v3-family.html, although is on sites like https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2678+v3+%40+2.50GHz&id=2584.

Have you tried using CPU-Z for assessments? My Shadow VM is in LA, and CPU-Z seems to reflect things accurately (Xeon E5-2667 v3 in my case, which is on Intel’s list above).

Although our VMs are “dedicated,” that really only applies to the storage...when they are spun up, the hardware is subject to some differences. Still, it did seem yours landed on something “bad” in that first test.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Oops, the California data center is in Santa Clara, not LA.

Badge

Here’s my CPU-Z output during my current session, which is performing as epxected. If the issue happens again I’ll get a snapshot from CPU-Z as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Here’s my CPU-Z output during my current session, which is performing as epxected. If the issue happens again I’ll get a snapshot from CPU-Z as well.

Your issue might have just been a faulty CPU, or a windows issue (for whatever reason)
A shutdown, wait 15 minutes, and start again usually solves that issue. 

This doesn’t seem to be working as-expected to me. I thought the basic service was providing a 3.4GHZ CPU not a 3.0GHz? I have tested this with various different stress tests, benchmarks and games and have never seen it clock higher than 3GHz. I have used Speccy and CPU-Z to monitor.

Badge

This doesn’t seem to be working as-expected to me. I thought the basic service was providing a 3.4GHZ CPU not a 3.0GHz? I have tested this with various different stress tests, benchmarks and games and have never seen it clock higher than 3GHz. I have used Speccy and CPU-Z to monitor.

That is why the tech specs say “or equivalent,” if I’m not mistaken. 

The processor you are describing where apps call it a 2.5 with boosting up to 3 is the best one they offer in the boost tier.  There were processors in the past that would register as 3.4, but they actually performed worse from what I understand. 

I did not experience this myself, but I have read it in the past from other users. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

CPUs like the one's shadow uses boost under load, usually to 3.0 ish, I usually see high 2.8 ghz. Like Lily said it's not normal at all and unfortunate to hear that, if you experience it again I suggest you submit a support ticket so they can check out that CPU. 

Sounds like a minor flaw that went unnoticed, again sorry to hear you had trouble. Keep us updated.

:)