Solved

Shadow for college students

• 2 June 2020
  • 3 replies

I got started with shadow about a month ago and have enjoyed it so far. I’m home near Chicago for the next 3 months and got started with my shadow while here but then I will head back to school in Florida in August. When I head back to school will the connection I experience change dramatically or can I expect the same experience. If the experience does change for the worse because of the distance between Florida and the Chicago data center what would be options to get it fixed? Would it be possible to move to a new datacenter that is closer? Or what other options are available? I’m not concerned about losing data because a majority of the games I play are saved to online servers anyways so it would just be a matter of redownloading the games which isn't an issue. I’m trying to get an idea of what I should do before August so it can transition as smooth as possible. Thanks for any feedback/ideas! 

icon

Best answer by Jmanblob 4 June 2020, 18:20

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Well, the service data center for Florida is New york. So the only thing you can do to move to that data center is open a new account in Florida.

Yeah, so like @Lily said, the New York data center covers Florida, while I’m assuming you bought your shadow on the Chicago data center. You can always try it out and see when you get there how and if the connection will drastically change, but I would recommend getting in contact with shadow support and ask about going through the process of switching your shadow to a different data center. I’m sure your shadow took about a month to activate after you ordered it, so it there will most likely be a wait time for them to set up your new shadow on the NY data center. So I would recommend getting that process started early so it’s ready by the time you get there.

~Jmanblob

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Yeah, so like @Lily said, the New York data center covers Florida, while I’m assuming you bought your shadow on the Chicago data center. You can always try it out and see when you get there how and if the connection will drastically change, but I would recommend getting in contact with shadow support and ask about going through the process of switching your shadow to a different data center. I’m sure your shadow took about a month to activate after you ordered it, so it there will most likely be a wait time for them to set up your new shadow on the NY data center. So I would recommend getting that process started early so it’s ready by the time you get there.

~Jmanblob

Unfortunately, the only way to get set up on a new data center is ordering an account at said data center. Shadow can not do transfers.