Solved

Shadow inconsistent

• 13 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi I am pretty new to cloud gaming and I am just trying to understand how it works. My shadow is very inconsistent in performance. Do you connect to a different pc each time you log on? Does it make a difference how many people are playing/are machines shared? The reason I ask is because mine is very inconsistent. This morning when I was playing my game I was holding 120 fps the entire time. Got home from work, got back on, and can barely hold 60 fps now. Also there seems to be a bottleneck somewhere. I can be running around and have 120 fps and then there will be an explosion or something and it will drop to 30 fps and then go back up. Very tuff in shooters where fps can cost you the match.

I been monitoring my network over the pass week and it's not the issue. I have 1gb fiber optics, zero packet loss, and a max of 21ms ping.

icon

Best answer by Jim29er 14 January 2021, 16:19

I am pretty sure all of us have our own VPCs not shared with anyone and you always connect to the same one.

The VM (virtual machine) itself, which is a collection of files on the shared storage (SAN), is indeed dedicated for each user. However, the specific physical hardware (hypervisor) running the VM changes between sessions. Each server chassis contains a couple of physical GPUs, and each GPU is passed through to a single running VM. In other words, the GPU is not virtualized...but the CPU and RAM are.

Watch this for a good explainer:

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

While I do not pretend to know how Shadow actually does their systems, I can give some info on how it works in theory.

You are not connecting to a “PC” but Virtual PC. This means there is a server with multiple Virtual PCs running on it. Each VPC thinks it is a computer and unaware of all the others… but in reality is just a piece of software tricking windows into thinking it is a real machine. I am pretty sure all of us have our own VPCs not shared with anyone and you always connect to the same one. As per how many people connected, sure it could. In theory the Server should be setup so it has enough resources to allocate each VPC on it though. 

Most probable cause of your inconsistency is internet traffic between you and your VPC… which is not controllable. The issue is YOU may have a pretty stable connection… so may Shadow. But you. are also dealing with every things you bounce through on your way between each other.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

While I agree with your response. Frame rate has nothing to do with internet traffic, that's pure hardware. 

While I agree with your response. Frame rate has nothing to do with internet traffic, that's pure hardware. 

If you are testing the frame rate on the remote machine then yeah.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I am pretty sure all of us have our own VPCs not shared with anyone and you always connect to the same one.

The VM (virtual machine) itself, which is a collection of files on the shared storage (SAN), is indeed dedicated for each user. However, the specific physical hardware (hypervisor) running the VM changes between sessions. Each server chassis contains a couple of physical GPUs, and each GPU is passed through to a single running VM. In other words, the GPU is not virtualized...but the CPU and RAM are.

Watch this for a good explainer: